Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There were an estimated 627 000 malaria deaths worldwide in 2012 (uncertainty interval, 473 000–789 000).
    Source: WHO

Ebola's got a long way to go before it's even close to being a real crisis. Jake1's question about mosquitoes is relevant - because if you're being bitten by mosquitoes, you've got worse things to worry about than Ebola.
    You dont seem to grasp the implications of exponential growth

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There were an estimated 627 000 malaria deaths worldwide in 2012 (uncertainty interval, 473 000–789 000).

Ebola's got a long way to go before it's even close to being a real crisis. Jake1's question about mosquitoes is relevant - because if you're being bitten by mosquitoes, you've got worse things to worry about than Ebola.
    You dont seem to grasp the implications of exponential growth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Ebola if it reaches the Irish health system will destroy us. We are unable to handle what we have what with people on chairs and trolleys in hospital corridors nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'd like to think the way Spain is handling this will be a warning to us although whether politicians/medical admin take note is another matter. Imo the whole weight of the EU should be bearing down on the Spanish government to get its act together, that or face intervention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Imo the whole weight of the EU should be bearing down on the Spanish government to get its act together, that or face intervention!

You're absolutely right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

The point that so many seemingly go out of their way to miss, is that the situation with malaria and others diseases that are responsible for huge mortality in developing countries is relatively stable. Ebola on the other hand is an emerging global health crisis. Therefore we all have every right to be concerned.
    snubbleste wrote: »

"Western media in 'reporting on issues affecting the west' shock"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Another confirmed case in Texas. A health care worker.
    They really need to up the game with training medical staff, it's a disgrace.

This thing is obviously not as hard yo catch as were being lead to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

deseil wrote: »
    Another confirmed case in Texas. A health care worker.
    They really need to up the game with training medical staff, it's a disgrace.

This thing is obviously not as hard yo catch as were being lead to believe.

What makes you say that? The first case in Texas was originally treated for days without anyone knowing the guy had ebola. No proper PPE or containment procedures were in use until a few days after he had presented. It's not surprising that someone else has become ill as a result.

at the Press Conference in Dallas they said affected worker was this was a 'low risk' person who used full protective gear .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Jake1 wrote: »
    at the Press Conference in Dallas they said affected worker was this was a 'low risk' person who used full protective gear .

Really? Well then that is very scary if true.

• Advertisement

youtube! wrote: »
    Really? Well then that is very scary if true.

Confirmed this new health care worker case was following complete CDC procedures

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I think the most serious issue with Ebola is that it appears that somebody who's infected by it can spread the disease before the symptoms actually present themselves. Its all well and good suggesting that you have the full NBC gear on around a patient who's presenting the symptoms but how can you tell someone who has it but is yet to display the symptoms apart from anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Confirmed this new health care worker case was following complete CDC procedures

Confirmed by who? I don't see any mention of it in the mainstream although I did speed read. The BBC just state: It is not clear whether the health worker who tested positive came into contact with Mr Duncan when he first showed possible symptoms or when he was re-admitted to hospital.

EDit: Ah I see it was mentioned in the press conference.

Confirmed by who? I don't see any mention of it in the mainstream although I did speed read. The BBC just state: It is not clear whether the health worker who tested positive came into contact with Mr Duncan when he first showed possible symptoms or when he was re-admitted to hospital.

EDit: Ah I see it was mentioned in the press conference.

Pres Conference over now, or Id share the link :) Should be on the news later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

wont play for me!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

Meglamonia wrote: »
    No,it's a fairly slow and agonising death.

So are very many fatal conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

youtube! wrote: »
    wont play for me!!

Just give it time to load, it might be a minute or two.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

The apartment of the patient is being decontaminated. Imagine waking up to that on a Sunday morning, your neighbours home being cleaned for possible Ebola Contamination?? Police staked outside? :eek::eek:

dallas news channel link

http://www.wfaa.com/videos/news/local/2014/08/26/14336082/

car also decontaminated by Hazmat team according to above news team

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/521226/Commuters-flee-bus-station-African-woman-collapses

I think it is fair to say the general public are starting to panic !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Dallas press conference video ( seems to be uploaded by Signs of thy Coming ?:D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpZEhUMHO2A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm 'hoping' that is was amount the workers that saw him on his first presentation to the hospital. At least then there's a chance there was only 1 mistake made and not multiple ones.

He treated Duncan after he had been admitted to hospital and was wearing full protection. How does this keep happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It's getting too much like The Stand for my liking.

P_1 wrote: »
    I think the most serious issue with Ebola is that it appears that somebody who's infected by it can spread the disease before the symptoms actually present themselves. Its all well and good suggesting that you have the full NBC gear on around a patient who's presenting the symptoms but how can you tell someone who has it but is yet to display the symptoms apart from anybody else?

That's not actually the case, and unlikely to be for the reasons already covered in the thread. All evidence points to it not being communicable in persons who are not showing symptoms.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    He treated Duncan after he had been admitted to hospital and was wearing full protection. How does this keep happening?

yep, second visit .

The nurse was involved in Duncan's second visit to the hospital, when he was admitted for treatment, and was wearing protective gear as prescribed by the CDC: gown, gloves, mask and shield, Varga said.

ceadaoin. wrote: »

That's disappointing. I suppose you have to remember that these health care workers are not used to this kind of barrier nursing, and like everything else, there's a learning curve. Big price to pay for getting it wrong though. I hope that those in charge are looking in depth at the protocols in place to find the weak spots, and will come up with a way to improve them. Quickly.

Huff post have link to press conference can't link sorry

Huff post have link to press conference can't link sorry

It's the cdc press conference live now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

If one of the richest and most advanced nations on earth struggles to contain ebola, what hope for the rest of the world?

If ebola reaches somewhere like Asia in significant numbers, its game over.

It's already out of control in Liberia and people here and elsewhere naively think that it will burn itself out eventually. Uncontrolled ebola doesn't "burn" itself out.

Advertisement