Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

I might be wrong but I think the mortality rate in the USA is only 20%.
    Apart from the guy who arrived from Sierra Leone, I believe 4 people with the ebola virus have survived.

LOL

I can't believe you actually think thats even remotely a viable sample size. I genuinely chuckled at that post. The irony in you calling peole stupid after posting that gem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Im not trying to be smart or anything but to stop the spread of ebola then infected people will have to start being triaged. There is no cure for this disease and it is a horrible death. Bring out the infected, line them up, shoot them and burn the bodies. This is the only solution.

Now i know this sounds awful and fairly severe, but desperate times...

Wouldnt suprise me if it starts soon enough in africa.

What an absolutely ridiculously terrible suggestion

If people are afraid to seek treatment for ebola, they will be far more likely to infect other people. The last thing you want is a load of people from affected areas going on the run from the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Im not trying to be smart or anything but to stop the spread of ebola then infected people will have to start being triaged. There is no cure for this disease and it is a horrible death. Bring out the infected, line them up, shoot them and burn the bodies. This is the only solution.

Now i know this sounds awful and fairly severe, but desperate times...

Wouldnt suprise me if it starts soon enough in africa.

Taken this to it's extreme it would make sense to Nuke Africa.

Ridiculous! Imagine what would happen to the price of chocolate if you did that!

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Putinovsky wrote: »
    LOL

I can't believe you actually think thats even remotely a viable sample size. I genuinely chuckled at that post. The irony in you calling peole stupid after posting that gem :D

I never said it was a viable sample size. Who did I call stupid?

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »
    So you have given your opinion and portrayed it as the common view and have nothing to back it up. I am making no claims that ireland will have a mortality rate with Ebola of less than 50%. You are. Given the condescension you display in most of your posts, you'd at least think you have something to back yourself up with. Oh well :rolleyes:

You've heard of Google? Does every post have to have a link?
    If you only want to hear the doom merchants, put me on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

It's not an opinion!

Line in bold is BS. Look at the facts and make some deductions.
    Common view. It's quite simple really.

In Ireland, someone with ebola is likely to be given every chance of survival via intensive intravenous rehydration with sugars and salts.

In West Africa the supplies of above are poor, the number of healthcare workers to administer fluids is shockingly low and the fear/panic there is likely to result in ebola patients being abandoned altogether.

A healthy person here has a 50/50 chance or better. In Liberia right now, I would estimate 80/20 or worse.

Oh Scallion! You offer and opinion, and for some reason elevate it to a "Common" view. Then when you're told it's an opinion (but it's OK to have an opinion) and that there is no objective basis for concluding the mortality rate is going to be better or worse in the First-World you link to a fact sheet which states that past outbreaks in Africa have had mortality rates of between 25% - 90%. Oh my....hahahahah!! :rolleyes:

The Art of Rhetoric truly is wasted on vegetables! :pac:

If you just stick to broad generalisations and straight forward opinions at least some of the sporadic viewers of this post might get the impression you have a clue what you're talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

You've heard of Google? Does every post have to have a link?
    If you only want to hear the doom merchants, put me on ignore.

No you have made a couple of statements as if they were fact and i decided to ask to see if you had anything backing your claims up. You dont. I have read extensively on this and thought maybe there had been a welcome development over the weekend. There wasnt, you tried to subtly misinform to suit your own argument. I think that is well out of order on a thread like this to be honest.

Further, you ask also who you called stupid. Most of your posts carry a smug implication that you are completely correct and those you are talking to are stupid. You uised the phrase "doom clowns" on this thread a few days ago which i thought was unfair as it was addressed to the thread in general. People are asking questions. I dont see why you think you are any more of an authority than anyone else on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Oh Scallion! You offer and opinion, and for some reason elevate it to a "Common" view. Then when you're told it's an opinion (but it's OK to have an opinion) and that there is no objective basis for concluding the mortality rate is going to be better or worse in the First-World you link to a fact sheet which states that past outbreaks in Africa have had mortality rates of between 25% - 90%. Oh my....hahahahah!! :rolleyes:

The Art of Rhetoric truly is wasted on vegetables! :pac:

If you just stick to broad generalisations and straight forward opinions at least some of the sporadic viewers of this post might get the impression you have a clue what you're talking about.

What are you on about? Common view, Opinion, Fact, Prediction whatever....I still maintain the mortality rate in Western Europe will be much lower than West African for OBVIOUS REASONS that I have already suggested e.g. Medical supplies, more healthcare workers, less irrational fear etc etc.
    My prediction is 50% (Western Europe) and 85% (Africa). Lets see what happens. Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Red peppers and spring onions..all we need is eggs and we can have an omlette :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JapaneseLove

Akrasia wrote: »
    What an absolutely ridiculously terrible suggestion

If people are afraid to seek treatment for ebola, they will be far more likely to infect other people. The last thing you want is a load of people from affected areas going on the run from the authorities.

There is no treatment for ebola. Thats like saying "oh u had ur legs blown off. well i hav a cream for that".

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JapaneseLove

Ridiculous! Imagine what would happen to the price of chocolate if you did that!

Madness.

LOL!! Yea. Sure we will just buy coca beans from south america.

You uised the phrase "doom clowns" on this thread a few days ago which i thought was unfair as it was addressed to the thread in general.

Oops wrong account.

No I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

FFS lads, he said the mortality rate in the west would be less than 50% and gave the reasons why. And then was asked to back it up with a link? To what - the other numerous outbreaks of Ebola in the west?? Then when he surmises the known outbreaks in the west with their outcomes (admittedly statistically insignificant, but the only information available on outcomes in the west) he is ridiculed? What do you people want? The stats are just not there. Go google intensive care outcomes for other viral diseases versus no care at all and see what pops up in your browser.

Edit: And to add to that, why do you think Western countries are so eager to repatriate their sick citizens if the outcome at home is no better????

Red Pepper wrote: »
    What are you on about? Common view, Opinion, Fact, Prediction whatever....I still maintain the mortality rate in Western Europe will be much lower than West African for OBVIOUS REASONS that I have already suggested e.g. Medical supplies, more healthcare workers, less irrational fear etc etc.
    My prediction is 50% (Western Europe) and 85% (Africa). Lets see what happens. Next.

Ah, you are aware that the current mortality rate in Africa is just under 50%, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

muhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa i secretly want the world to burn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Madness.

Operation clean sweep sequel?

FFS lads, he said the mortality rate in the west would be less than 50% and gave the reasons why. And then was asked to back it up with a link? To what - the other numerous outbreaks of Ebola in the west?? Then when he surmises the known outbreaks in the west with their outcomes (admittedly statistically insignificant, but the only information available on outcomes in the west) he is ridiculed? What do you people want? The stats are just not there. Go google intensive care outcomes for other viral diseases versus no care at all and see what pops up in your browser.

Thank you Prof Plum.

They are out to lynch me for being positive.

Oops wrong account.

No I didn't.
    I am looking forward to reading some of these posts in say January. I bet some of the hype clowns will have closed their accounts!

Hype clowns rather than doom clowns. Same thing. Although i expect you to tell me that both are completely different in your own special way ;)

Edit: And to add to that, why do you think Western countries are so eager to repatriate their sick citizens if the outcome at home is no better????

Well i for one would like to hear this good news from some reputable sources as opposed to from some lad on the internet who has entrenched himself into a particular stance on a subject.

• Advertisement

Hype clowns rather than doom clowns. Same thing. Although i expect you to tell me that both are completely different in your own special way ;)

Doom and Hype are different, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I made a thread about the ship from Freetown that docked in Dublin on thurs.

This has me worried I would like to know if anyone is responsible for giving clearance to those sailors to roam free in Dublin , they left Freetown only ONE WEEK before they reached Dublin yet it takes 3 weeks to show Symptoms !

We could well have our first case and more in Ireland thanks to the idiots who think they can clear an Ebola carrier with a thermometer !

Well i for one would like to hear this good news from some reputable sources as opposed to from some lad on the internet who has entrenched himself into a particular stance on a subject.

Well, you have an internet connection so knock yourself out.

Do you really think we would be repatriating sick people to Western hospital at huge expense and risk of spreading the virus to the west unless there was an ickle lickle tiency weeny chance that they might do better?

Doom and Hype are different, yes.

Not in the context you used them. Anyways, your steadfast beliefs are, simply, your beliefs. Good to know.

And dont assume that having a different opinion to you means people will put you on ignore. This thread is about info being shared, not doom being forecast.

Well, you have an internet connection so knock yourself out.

Do you really think we would be repatriating sick people to Western hospital at huge expense and risk of spreading the virus to the west unless there was an ickle lickle tiency weeny chance that they might do better?

That wouldnt be my take on why people are being repatriated at all.

youtube! wrote: »

This has me worried I would like to know if anyone is responsible for giving clearance to those sailors to roam free in Dublin , they left Freetown only ONE WEEK before they reached Dublin yet it takes 3 weeks to show Symptoms !

We could well have our first case and more in Ireland thanks to the idiots who think they can clear an Ebola carrier with a thermometer !

According to News reports there was no thermometer involved - that was likely deemed too scientific. Instead a simple assurance by the captain that the crew were all healthy is all that was required in that case:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ship-in-dublin-gives-declaration-of-health-after-sierra-leone-docking-1.1958310

Not in the context you used them. Anyways, your steadfast beliefs are, simply, your beliefs. Good to know.

I am atheist.

youtube! wrote: »

Youtube this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F8BzgbgjM

That wouldnt be my take on why people are being repatriated at all.

So you think that there is no medical logic to repatriate them on the grounds that their outcomes will be improved? (taking the political posturing out of it)

How about treating patients with sever viral illness and multi organ failure in ICU, is that a waste of time too?, Should they just be sent home, not admitted to hospitals in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There is no treatment for ebola. Thats like saying "oh u had ur legs blown off. well i hav a cream for that".

There is treatment. Survival rates are much higher if the proper treatment is given as soon as symptoms start.

The human immune system can often fight off the virus, but the problem is that the virus tends to do so much damage that the patient dies before the body can fight back. If the symptoms can be managed the body has more time to fight the infection.

Advertisement