Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Im just thinking bout it all the time and have young daughter and thinking bout her, honestly I dont think were prepared here, im in college at the moment and if I walked in to the college doctor saying i just travelled from west africa and had a fever she would laugh and give me a disprin no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

catrat12 wrote: »
    Im just thinking bout it all the time and have young daughter and thinking bout her, honestly I dont think were prepared here, im in college at the moment and if I walked in to the college doctor saying i just travelled from west africa and had a fever she would laugh and give me a disprin no joke.

If you had just traveled from West Africa and had a fever you shouldn't be going into college in the first place :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Does Ireland have anti aircraft guns?For the greater good and survival of the Irish species.

Yes - it has Swedish-made Bofors 40mm radar-controlled L/70s.

I haven't a clue what that means either (it's from Wiki) but I'll definitely drop it into the conversation if I ever get an interview for a job as a nightclub doorman or PE teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

well that nurse was stupid enough to get on a plane so you never know, people do not realise how serious this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

Anybody read the poll on who is next for the Ebola virus to hit? UK is sixth on poll and France and Spain. Top three places Irish travel. Then nigeria . We have way go to much traffic. I reckon first sign of it hitting any places Irish traveling from or other nationalities. They need screening before being landed. And if gets worse close down borders with all flights travel and trucks bringing on imports. The we don't need to screen is complete negligence by Irish government
    They will wait till it gets here (when there really should be no way it could) and someone dies before they do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Well the case of the nurse in America confirms that you can travel around and go a long way displaying little or no outward symptoms at all. I am still sceptical as to how airport screening is supposed to catch someone undergoing early stage ebola infection. Infected patients can function quite well in the early stages, perhaps up to 2 weeks, even in this case getting on a flight. The infection however proceeds rapidly in the final week, leading to death within a few days after the first serious symptoms display.

The only way to stop the spread of ebola at this stage is to deal with it in West Africa. If it escapes there in any serious numbers, then everyone is in big trouble. As for those people who assume it won't make it to the west if it does escape west africa, god help their sense. Like I said before, ebola makes HIV look benign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

My sister is sick at the moment with a 'flu' if she's the first irish person to get ebola that'd be bad

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm starting to regret my decision to move to Austin three weeks ago! :pac:

Very hard to say what way this virus will go, it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

All those liberians and people from sierra leone, fleeing from the ebola virus with their direct flights to dublin and whatnot...

• Advertisement

My sister is sick at the moment with a 'flu' if she's the first irish person to get ebola that'd be bad

:(

Unless she is just back from the Texas Presbyterian hospital after working as a nurse or from a whistlestop tour of west africa's biggest sh1tholes, I'd say she'll be fine like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

crannglas wrote: »
    Anybody read the poll on who is next for the Ebola virus to hit? UK is sixth on poll and France and Spain. Top three places Irish travel.

Seems like an odd thing to do a poll for =/

I am pie wrote: »
    All those liberians and people from sierra leone, fleeing from the ebola virus with their direct flights to dublin and whatnot...

Luckily there are no direct flights to dublin. They'd have to fly via the UK, where hopefully there is some sort of screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Yep dont bother dealing with any points raised. You arent able to

I thought it was quite funny, you must have missed the joke!

(Plane - airborne)

realweirdo wrote: »
    Luckily there are no direct flights to dublin. They'd have to fly via the UK, where hopefully there is some sort of screening.

Aye, that was kind of my point.

Strangely africans living in poverty in rural sierra leone aren't likely to be spending the average annual wage on a flight into heathrow.

I bet almost no one is stopped at the UK airport borders puking up ebola left right and centre coming in from a direct African flight. If they profile it will work against them. More likely to crop up in southern spain and the italian med, migrants crossing on boats in cramped conditions.

Frankly, those porous borders are likely to be much more of a problem than direct flights.

Seems like an odd thing to do a poll for =/
    Lol sorry its the stats on it with most likely next places to hit. UK sixth on the list. Doesn't that worry you.

Strangely africans living in poverty in rural sierra leone aren't likely to be spending the average annual wage on a flight into heathrow.

I bet almost no one is stopped at the UK airport borders puking up ebola left right and centre coming in from a direct African flight. If they profile it will work against them. More likely to crop up in southern spain and the italian med, migrants crossing on boats in cramped conditions.

Frankly, those porous borders are likely to be much more of a problem than direct flights.
    And come into contact with people travelling to UK or Ireland. Cross borders into France and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Well the case of the nurse in America confirms that you can travel around and go a long way displaying little or no outward symptoms at all. I am still sceptical as to how airport screening is supposed to catch someone undergoing early stage ebola infection. Infected patients can function quite well in the early staiges, perhaps up to 2 weeks, even in this case getting on a flight. The infection however proceeds rapidly in the final week, leading to death within a few days after the first serious symptoms display.

The only way to stop the spread of ebola at this stage is to deal with it in West Africa. If it escapes there in any serious numbers, then everyone is in big trouble. As for those people who assume it won't make it to the west if it does escape west africa, god help their sense. Like I said before, ebola makes HIV look benign.
    If that's the case anyone who is travelling from countries or have contact with people travelling should be blocked from travelling.

Your theory is that the existing scientific body of knowledge is wrong?

Nice theory.

• Advertisement

Oddly that never stopped people before lol

The problem with places like Liberia is there is underreporting and also that hospitals are turning people away.

This means victims are dying at home and thus going through the most infectious stage at home, potentially spreading it to family members who treat them or who move their body after death, while unprotected themselves.

It really is an issue of resources in Liberia. When people are turned away because of a lack of units or people to treat them, that is a massive reason why it spreads so rapidly.

Unfortunately the west had not allocated enough resources to deal with this. It will remain that way until countries like Germany, France, UK, Japan and all the relatively rich nations pull the finger out and commit to this fight, instead of as usual outsourcing the solution (and the blame) to the United States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I don't know.

Say you are a medical worker with some money put away. You have family in the UK or Ireland. You have been working with Ebola. You have a slight temperature.

What would you do? Would you hop on a plane and go to a Western country to be treated? Or would you stay in West Africa and take your chances?

I don't think you understand what "that way" means here. Have a look back through the thread, it includes fluid produced by coughing and sneezing which can be ingested via the nose, eyes or mouth..basically the soft membranes.

Not like HIV at all really.

Godge wrote: »
    I don't know.

Say you are a medical worker with some money put away. You have family in the UK or Ireland. You have been working with Ebola. You have a slight temperature.

What would you do? Would you hop on a plane and go to a Western country to be treated? Or would you stay in West Africa and take your chances?

I think you are probably vastly over estimating how much a flight from Liberia or Sierra Leone costs vs the capacity of a local nurse to save money and travel. I guarantee it's more limiting than you think.

Its much more infectious than HIV. It can be spread by numerous means. A person sweating can spread it with a handshake or any touching I'd imagine. Also from tears and other ways. The body secretes bodily fluids in numerous ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

They are backward in some places too they wash the body of the dead ebola family member as its culture to do so.Then every body has it.
    People are still also eating bush meat which is what they got this from.

• Advertisement

I think you are probably vastly over estimating how much a flight from Liberia or Sierra Leone costs vs the capacity of a local nurse to save money and travel. I guarantee it's more limiting than you think.

Of course its not going to be an ordinary poor person who travels from there to here. It will more than likely be a western doctor, nurse or aid worker. And so far that's been the case in places like Spain. Or it will be Liberian or Sierra Leonian expats who are reasonably well off in the west but travel back and forth to west africa on a regular basis.

Advertisement