Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

This post has been deleted.

Yeh, I agree, any physical contact puts you at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

realweirdo wrote: »
    Of course its not going to be an ordinary poor person who travels from there to here. It will more than likely be a western doctor, nurse or aid worker. And so far that's been the case in places like Spain. Or it will be Liberian or Sierra Leonian expats who are reasonably well off in the west but travel back and forth to west africa on a regular basis.

It won't be a african nurse or aid worker as they aren't paid like their western colleagues.

Dr's maybe, but I don't believe they will be on the front line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

crannglas wrote: »
    Anybody read the poll on who is next for the Ebola virus to hit? UK is sixth on poll and France and Spain. Top three places Irish travel. Then nigeria . We have way go to much traffic. I reckon first sign of it hitting any places Irish traveling from or other nationalities. They need screening before being landed. And if gets worse close down borders with all flights travel and trucks bringing on imports. The we don't need to screen is complete negligence by Irish government
    They will wait till it gets here (when there really should be no way it could) and someone dies before they do anything.

I must have ebola. I couldn't follow this.
    I am pie wrote: »
    Aye, that was kind of my point.

Strangely africans living in poverty in rural sierra leone aren't likely to be spending the average annual wage on a flight into heathrow.

I bet almost no one is stopped at the UK airport borders puking up ebola left right and centre coming in from a direct African flight. If they profile it will work against them. More likely to crop up in southern spain and the italian med, migrants crossing on boats in cramped conditions.

Frankly, those porous borders are likely to be much more of a problem than direct flights.

According to the UK there are no direct flights from the 3 affected countries to the UK.
    They usually transfer via CDG or Schipol.
    And 85% of those that transfer come to Heathrow.
    Where their screening will detect you.
    "Screening" is a questionaire by the way and unless you answer yes to all the questions

• Have you come from West Africa?
    • Do you have a fever?
    • Is there blood coming from your mouth and bum?

you're unlikely to be checked further.
    The UK have said they expect everyone to disclose all details willingly.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Was listening to Newtalk last week and they had a professor of biochemistry on from UCD or Trinity and he insisted that there will be a vaccine against it, can't remember what reasons he used but its several months away still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

josip wrote: »

According to the UK there are no direct flights from the 3 affected countries to the UK.
    "Screening" is a questionaire by the way and unless you answer yes to all the questions

• Do you have a fever?

The UK have said they expect everyone to disclose all details willingly.:rolleyes:

Where does the other 15% go.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

According to the UK there are no direct flights from the 3 affected countries to the UK. Í

• Do you have a fever?

Lol sorry I am phone. The stats published said UK will be sixth country to get cases of Ebola. France is on the list also. Right cause humans afraid will tell truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

I don't think anyone is panicking but the numbers of dead and infected in Africa is very alarming indeed. I wouldn't want this thing to get in and about a major City like Hong Kong, Lagos or Mexico City. I hope it doesn't continue on it's current upward trajectory because it's only a matter of time before it goes worldwide then.

I am pie wrote: »
    It won't be a african nurse or aid worker as they aren't paid like their western colleagues.

Dr's maybe, but I don't believe they will be on the front line.

I didn't say it would be an african nurse or aid worker. I said it would be a western nurse or aid worker. Or ex pats from these countries who can afford to travel back and forth, such as the Liberian who died in Texas. And he wasn't that particularly well off by western standards. The more people who become infected in these countries, the more likely those who can afford to fly in and out of the country will be infected.

Was listening to Newtalk last week and they had a professor of biochemistry on from UCD or Trinity and he insisted that there will be a vaccine against it, can't remember what reasons he used but its several months away still.

There is little or no chance a vaccine to treat hundreds of millions of people will be available anytime soon. To come up with that number of doses would take an astronomical effort. And one of the main companies involved employs only 100 people from what I read, another example of the lack of seriousness given to developing a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Here is a post on reddit from someone who claims to be getting this info from people who work in the hospital in Dallas. I know these sort of accounts should be taken with a grain of salt but a user on the same site previously revealed the second case a day before it was released to the media citing hospital sources. If this is true then it shows that they are very worried about this.
    I'm passing along information that is coming from the nurses, and in particular one buddy who's girlfriend is a nurse who treated Duncan. Who knows if what they are being told is accurate, but at the moment the story is that it is a few nurses and a doc that treated Duncan that are allegedly running fevers and under high surveillance. I have been told that everyone in this group is someone that saw or treated Duncan in one of his two ER visits before he was a confirmed case.
    I think it's also worth noting that these cases in Dallas are being kept top secret until confirmed. We saw this behavior with both Dallas nurses. If we find out today they are infected, it may have been 2-3 days ago that they first became concerned, which would put them right in the window.
    As of right now my buddy's girlfriend is under quarantine at the hospital that she works along with the other nurses. They were taken there this morning and have not been allowed to leave. Family members have been contacted by the FBI to bring them personal items. When they were treating Duncan, they were not allowed to bring their cell phones into the hospital. I have to assume that is still the case here but I have not had that confirmed to me.

Duncan died 8th October. He was in hospital for 11 days. Let's assume he was shedding virus for the last 4-5 days. And it takes two weeks for those infected to display serious symptoms. That would mean over the next few days we will begin to know who else has been infected from the dallas hospital. My guess is there will be more confirmed cases.

And while there migntn't be direct flights to Ireland from West Africa, the same cannot be said about flights from the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I proposed that forum so i did.

Below is a link to Statement by Nurses, who treated Thomas Duncan , of the conditions they faced when treating him

Nurses Union are rightly furious

NationalNursesUnited @NationalNurses
    Follow
    Breach of protocol? Dallas #nurses say hospital had no protocol. #ebola
    12:58 AM - 15 Oct 2014

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/15/heres-the-newly-released-list-of-conditions-dallas-nurses-say-they-faced-while-treating-ebola-patient/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

realweirdo wrote: »
    There is little or no chance a vaccine to treat hundreds of millions of people will be available anytime soon. To come up with that number of doses would take an astronomical effort. And one of the main companies involved employs only 100 people from what I read, another example of the lack of seriousness given to developing a vaccine.

GSK are already accelerating vaccine production and clinical trials. Now that it's in the States I can guarantee you that they will fast track full approval similar to H1N1. Money talks - the cost/benefit to date was never there but now governments are demanding a solution and prepared to make money available. GSK have the facilities to have these vaccines starting mass production by November with the final phase of clinical trials running in parallel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

MadYaker wrote: »
    Almost completely false. HIV and Ebola both survive in bodily fluids. Ebola spreads a bit easier than HIV but not much. It is destroyed by exposure to UV light (sunlight) so it doesn't really last outside the body for very long.

If you read my post properly, which you didn't, then you would realise that I don't deny that both are transmitted by fluids but that it is misleading to equate the two under the mode of transmission.

GSK are already accelerating vaccine production and clinical trials. Now that it's in the States I can guarantee you that they will fast track full approval similar to H1N1. Money talks - the cost/benefit to date was never there but now governments are demanding a solution and prepared to make money available. GSK have the facilities to have these vaccines starting mass production by November with the final phase of clinical trials running in parallel.

And this is what happens when you fast track a vaccine
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780114

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

And this is what happens when you fast track a vaccine
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780114

You get asked for a username and password?

On I know full well the perils of fast tracked trials and approval. The swine flu episode was and still is a disgrace and the WHO were tarnished as a result.
    I did not take the swine flu vaccine and I would not take the ebola one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Realweirdo pointed out this is going to come back to haunt the west and now it is. Colonialism, a history of exploitation, unequal market relations, arms sales, I believe all these things and more besides have contributed to the absolutely fcked up backwards state of some African countries and now it's coming to bite the West in the ass. Of course it will mostly bite the Western peons in the ass rather than the perpetuators of this state of affairs. A doctor that works in epidemic cases was quoted as saying lock down the whole area, it's got to be done now, do it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jake1 wrote: »
    The nurses alleged that:

— Duncan was kept in a non-isolated area of the emergency department for several hours, potentially exposing up to seven other patients to Ebola;

— Patients who may have been exposed to Duncan were kept in isolation only for a day before being moved to areas where there were other patients;

— Nurses treating Duncan were also caring for other patients in the hospital;

— Preparation for Ebola at the hospital amounted to little more than an optional seminar for staff;

— In the face of constantly shifting guidelines, nurses were allowed to follow whichever ones they chose.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/15/heres-the-newly-released-list-of-conditions-dallas-nurses-say-they-faced-while-treating-ebola-patient/

What an absolute clusterfuck

If that's the situation in the world's most advanced healthcare system, and in the most developed nation on Earth, you can only imagine how bad things must be in the likes of Liberia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Napalm.
    ?

Realweirdo pointed out this is going to come back to haunt the west and now it is. Colonialism, a history of exploitation, unequal market relations, arms sales, I believe all these things and more besides have contributed to the absolutely fcked up backwards state of some African countries and now it's coming to bite the West in the ass. Of course it will mostly bite the Western peons in the ass rather than the perpetuators of this state of affairs. A doctor that works in epidemic cases was quoted as saying lock down the whole area, it's got to be done now, do it now!

Huge generalisation and the last 2 sentences make you appear drunk.

There are 54 African countries.

5 have ebola. (4 if you consider Nigeria contained and got rid of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Among the nurses’ allegations was that the Ebola patient’s lab samples were allowed to travel through the hospital’s pneumatic tubes, opening the possibility of contaminating the specimen delivery system. The nurses also alleged that hazardous waste was allowed to pile up to the ceiling

What an absolute clusterfuck

If that's the situation in the world's most advanced healthcare system, and in the most developed nation on Earth, you can only imagine how bad things must be in the likes of Liberia.

The US has the world's most advanced healthcare system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The US has the world's most advanced healthcare system?

Or is the worlds most developed nation? By what standard?

On second thought, lets not open that can of worms

• Registered Users Posts: 17 afraidofplanes

Has anyone done anything proactive to help combat this abroad or at home if it should come here? Donating to MSF is a given and we should all be doing what we can here. I know Ireland has pledged money to the crisis as well. But what can we do as a group force? Even if it's just bombarding our TDs/government with letters? We need to ensure that we are doing what we can to combat the spread of disease in West Africa and to set up a system of proper education and if needs be, proper training and equipment for HCWs in Ireland if it comes here.

Has this been set up or organised already? If not, is it time to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Christ I'd be very worried with the ability of the HSE to deal with this having seen the state of them lately. Stuck on this little island with that epidemic and a travel ban, oh the horrors. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Has anyone done anything proactive to help combat this abroad or at home if it should come here? Donating to MSF is a given and we should all be doing what we can here. I know Ireland has pledged money to the crisis as well. But what can we do as a group force? Even if it's just bombarding our TDs/government with letters? We need to ensure that we are doing what we can to combat the spread of disease in West Africa and to set up a system of proper education and if needs be, proper training and equipment for HCWs in Ireland if it comes here.

Has this been set up or organised already? If not, is it time to do so?

Well I've still got the iodine tablets at home somewhere ;)

• Advertisement

Huge generalisation and the last 2 sentences make you appear drunk.

There are 54 African countries.

5 have ebola. (4 if you consider Nigeria contained and got rid of it).

He only quoted a doctor who works in the area and is more qualified on this than anyone else. Difficult to lockdown an area though.

Advertisement