Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

The Irish Medical Organisation is concerned that no extra resources have been put in place for public doctors.

The body highlighted a number of areas for concern which they believe show we're not dealing with the threat properly.

These concerns include:

The wisdom of advising patients with Ebola systems to visit their GP, "when GP surgeries are not the appropriate setting". The IMO said this advice is "potentially dangerous"

The imperative to establish sufficiently robust protocols for suspected cases in an Emergency Department setting

The imperative to train sufficient numbers of Hospital staff in responding to infectious diseases generally.

The shortage of Public Health Doctors in general and the lack of support services for those in place.

The critical need for agreed arrangements for dealing with circumstances where medical staff have to deal with a patient displaying symptoms of Ebola.
    We are fubar if this gets to us.''Go to a GP doctor and sit in the waiting room'' what the hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yeah but a close shave.We have not stopped planes landing fron infected places still.How is that quaranteen.:pac:
    Not really. It's like saying I had a close shave to having an accident this morning on the M50 because someone drove along side me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

smash wrote: »
    Not really. It's like saying I had a close shave to having an accident this morning on the M50 because someone drove along side me.

Don't be talking sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

realweirdo wrote: »
    At least in liberia most people move around on foot which limits the spread geographically. In the US there all kinds of transport options which could make tracking impossible. I don't want to spread panic but theres cause for some alarm and burying our heads in the sand is certainly not an option.

Sorry but this is completely incorrect. Part of the problem in Liberia has been the transportation of dead bodies and traditional mass migrations of people's in taxiis from one geographic region to the next. People there rarely stayed in the one location and travelled all over the country. In the US infected dead bodies weren't being transported in contact with other people. Also, in the US, it's far far easier to log who took what mode of transport and the level of connections, even though it was an airplane use is far far less. Americans even have far greater awareness of ebola. Authorities also likely have at least 7 days before anyone becomes a risk of disease transmission. Tracking will be difficult but it's no where near the nightmare scenario it is in the three primary affected countries, particularly liberia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    Madrid airport gone into panic mode due to a suspected ebola case arrival from Nigeria via Paris
    http://www.abc.es/sociedad/20141016/abci-avion-france-ebola-201410161332.html
    Current AirFrance in Madrid
    http://estaticos02.elmundo.es/assets/multimedia/imagenes/2014/10/16/14134623190298.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Still annoyed over yesterday? Bless...

Annoyed about what exactly? I'm right though aren't I. I'm not sure why you're so hopeful that people on the plane catch ebola just so you can win an internet argument. It's creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Yeah but a close shave.We have not stopped planes landing fron infected places still.How is that quaranteen.:pac:

errr...yeah we have, we've stopped ALL direct flights from Freetown, Brazzaville and Monrovia :rolleyes:

There are still some flights coming in from the US but I think you'll find stopping those might be somewhat politically and economically problematic :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Annoyed about what exactly? I'm right though aren't I. I'm not sure why you're so hopeful that people on the plane catch ebola just so you can win an internet argument. It's creepy.

Where did i say i was hopeful people catch ebola? I asked how long exactly the incubation period was for those on the plane with the nurse. How do you take that i want them to catch it from that? Bizarre and a sign you have completely nothing to come back with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's because there are no direct flights to Ireland from affected countries in West Africa.

Do you think we should bar all flights from the US, Spain etc?

That's not what he wants to hear.
    Still annoyed over yesterday? Bless...
    Where did i say i was hopeful people catch ebola? I asked how long exactly the incubation period was for those on the plane with the nurse. How do you take that i want them to catch it from that? Bizarre and a sign you have completely nothing to come back with ;)

Mod

Ignore each other please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

deleted based on mod instruction. Sorry Whoops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Turtwig wrote: »
    Sorry but this is completely incorrect. Part of the problem in Liberia has been the transportation of dead bodies and traditional mass migrations of people's in taxiis from one geographic region to the next. People there rarely stayed in the one location and travelled all over the country. In the US infected dead bodies weren't being transported in contact with other people. Also, in the US, it's far far easier to log who took what mode of transport and the level of connections, even though it was an airplane use is far far less. Americans even have far greater awareness of ebola. Authorities also likely have at least 7 days before anyone becomes a risk of disease transmission. Tracking will be difficult but it's no where near the nightmare scenario it is in the three primary affected countries, particularly liberia.

Not really talking about transport of dead bodies.
    As for tracking who was in close contact with someone you can't track people who use a subway, buses or taxis.As for airplanes not only do you have to track every passenger but you have to track their contacts too. Likewise subway passengers. You understand it now why the US might struggle to track people as opposed to places like Liberia where there is no subway and little use of trains or air travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Not really talking about transport of dead bodies.
    As for tracking who was in close contact with someone you can't track people who use a subway, buses or taxis.As for airplanes not only do you have to track every passenger but you have to track their contacts too. Likewise subway passengers. You understand it now why the US might struggle to track people as opposed to places like Liberia where there is no subway and little use of trains or air travel?

So you're telling me that if someone was on an airplane yesterday and subsequently tested positive for Ebola, not only are the other passengers on the plane at risk, but also the other passengers' contacts. Gosh, that is serious:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Just watching the WHO news conference and the lady speaking made a good point about having a telephone number for people to call if they feel they have a good chance of being infected. The Irish government should be setting that up now (vs waiting for cases to appear) and advertising it widely so that people who might be infected know to stay home and call that number rather than waltzing into the GP office or local AE dept and potentially infecting dozens of other people. Disseminating the info might well scare a few people and it is possible (let's hope) that the phone number never gets used, but I'd certainly feel better if their appeared to be a clear set of instructions for what you should do if you think you have been infected (based on containment/quarantine of yourself and anyone living with you) if the worst does happen.

So you're telling me that if someone was on an airplane yesterday and subsequently tested positive for Ebola, not only are the other passengers on the plane at risk, but also the other passengers' contacts. Gosh, that is serious:rolleyes:

In a really worst case scenario where a highly infected person made it onto a subway train but its highly unlikely to ever happen, and they will hopefully have this outbreak contained long before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

In a really worst case scenario where a highly infected person made it onto a subway train but its highly unlikely to ever happen, and they will hopefully have this outbreak contained long before then.

You're just making it up as you go along now.

You're just making it up as you go along now.

To quote Jack Nicolson...I have neither the time or the inclination...which I don't..if you haven't copped on to how ebola has spread I'm not going to waste my precious time with you. Please rebury your head in the sand and don't bother responding to me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

A rational approach to the Ebola news coverage from, of all places, Fox News. His advice at the 3.35 mark puts the 'outbreak' into perspective -

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Breaking...... hospital in Connecticut evaluating patient with Ebola-like symptons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Are we all going to die? (Genuine question). I'm worried!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

FourFourFM wrote: »

yes, no one gets out alive in the game of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Yes.

Unless you have discovered the secret to eternal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yes, obviously. Just like everyone else who has ever lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

[
    All the passengers will be subject to limited self monitoring I'd say. The texas outbreak, limited as yet shows how hard it is to track the spread of an outbreak. At least in liberia most people move around on foot which limits the spread geographically. In the US there all kinds of transport options which could make tracking impossible. I don't want to spread panic but theres cause for some alarm and burying our heads in the sand is certainly not an option.

I'm reading that the passengers and crew are in quarantine. 3 schools have been closed for cleaning because students were on the plane. Either the nurse was more symptomatic on the plane than they have said, or they are just being over cautious. Theyve probably realised they can't trust people to self isolate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

23 tests for Ebola performed on 14 people in Ireland
    All 23 of the tests performed returned negative results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Nigerian man on an AF flight into Paris complaining of symptons, head ache, sweating, vomiting. Would not like to be on that flight. Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

To quote Jack Nicolson...I have neither the time or the inclination...which I don't..if you haven't copped on to how ebola has spread I'm not going to waste my precious time with you. Please rebury your head in the sand and don't bother responding to me again.

But you have to admit ProfressorPlum is right, you are absolutely winging it and making it up as you go along. When anyone questions your "statements", you completely change tack and get all defensive rather than discuss the statement itself.

We know Google is your friend but I think a more balanced and less emotive presentation of the facts would help.

I await a rant including some of the following phrases "humanity at stake, colonialism will haunt the west, head in the sand, will go airborne, vaccines wont work, close the borders, racist element "

• Advertisement

She did try to check, she called the CDC and told them of her travel plans, and they told her it was safe to fly

Advertisement