Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just when I thought this couldn't turn into anymore of a clusterfcuk. Really hoping this isn't true. Another nurse that looked after Duncan supposedly.
    Reports tonight are that two individuals possibly infected with the Ebola virus are in Belizean waters. Local TV station Channel 7 monitored in Belmopan tonight, reported having credible reports that a couple from a Texas-based cruise ship presently anchored off Belize City, is on a ship tender, unable to return to the cruise ship, while being refused entry to Belize City to catch an air ambulance awaiting at the International Airport to take them to the their country of origin, the U.S.A. The television station in its broadcast tonight said Belize health authorities contacted tonight have so far refused to deny or confirm the report.

Later tonight in breaking news, Channel 5 Belize is reported that it has:

“Confirmed with representatives of the Ministry of Health that they have indeed received a report that there is at least one passenger on board the cruise ship, Carnival Magic, showing symptoms similar to that of the Ebola virus. According to the report made to MOH, the person exhibiting the symptoms did not come ashore today. The ship is reportedly carrying 3652 passengers and a total population of 4633 persons.

“The Carnival Magic departed from Galveston Texas on Sunday, October 12 arrived in Mahogany Bay, Honduras on Wednesday October 15 and arrived in Belize this morning, Thursday October 16.

“The ship was scheduled to leave Belize en route to Cozumel this evening at 5pm. However, it is still anchored in Belizean waters near State Bank Caye.”

“We have also have confirmed that the Coast Guard has been deployed to prevent anyone from leaving the ship; including the Belizean pilot on board.”

In a press conference held last weak, Belize’s Ministry of Health stated that in the event of an outbreak of Ebola in Belize, no patient would be allowed into the commercial capital Belize City, where most of the Belize government cabinet officials reside. The MOH stated that the government hospital, the Karl Heuesner Memorial Hospital has but one Intensive Care Unit and they would not allow this to be overrun with Ebola patients. Belize is a a very poor country that depends to a large extent on tourism for its foreign exchange income. Belize City is currently the main port of call for cruise ships.

Update: Channel 7 news anchor Indira Craig has posted on her Facebook page that Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow in a callous move in view of very close Belize-U.S. relations, has denied entry into Belize for the stricken U.S. nationals to be air lifted to the U.S.A. for treatment:

“Talks have concluded with the PM and The US State Department officials. Belize WILL NOT BE GRANTING ACCESS to the suspected passengers to have entry onto our shores. An official release will be sent out shortly by government followed by a press conference to be held tomorrow.Passports have been returned so this scare has ended.”

http://belizean.com/belize-confirms-patient-with-ebola-symptoms-on-cruise-ship-off-its-coast-1814/

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

are these nurses who treated this guy just like, going," ah had a tough week might go off somewhere where there are thousands of people in confined area, sure what the harm..." It all seems a bit crazy, surely with protocols when dealing with this virus or any virus,even a nurse of the most thickest order would not spend a week treating a carrier of a deadly highly infectious virus, then go off on a cruise? I just amnt getting this at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No other news organisations picking it up at this moment. That website looks amateurish but you never know. Where exactly are you reading that it's supposedly a nurse that treated Mr Duncan. It's not stated in the article.

No other news organisations picking it up at this moment. That website looks amateurish but you never know. Where exactly are you reading that it's supposedly a nurse that treated Mr Duncan. It's not stated in the article.

It was on the Facebook page of a Belize news channel but it's been deleted now. Here is the link to the facebook page, it certainly seems like a legit news channel https://www.facebook.com/News5Live There always seems to be norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships so maybe it is yet another false alarm. Curious that the US would send an air ambulance to pick them up though.

If the people are in no way related to the Thomas Duncan case then it most likely is nothing to do with ebola. Hopefully that is the case, otherwise what a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes because those hairs are important. If I wanted to be extra pedantic I would say that I can't seem to find any source that confirms he vomited (other than the one quote) or whether it was cleaned up (which would indicate he did indeed vomit outside). So we have a man who went too and from the hospital and at this stage the only people to develop Ebola are two nurses who treated him during his final bedridden days. Assuming the situation stays the same then I'd have to say the consensus of our respective governments is correct that Ebola poses a low risk to us.

Hairy all right. Your original argument was that sick people neatly go to bed and stay away from others cos that's the kind of thing 'you do'. Well guess what sick people with all kind of conditions stay mobile - go to their GP - go to the hospital / A& E / pharmacy - visit the local shop to get things they need. Sick people may vomit in the street ( in the case indicated which was witnessed by others). Sick people may inadvertently infect others.
    If you want I can pretend to think the government have their heads in the sand and that it will go airborne and that we're all in great danger etc etc but I just don't see the point. They're doing alright, we'll be alright.

Who said that? No mention of sand or airborne was made. But you appear to cast doubt on the current medical stand that both aerosolised vomit and excreta re are infectious. Wtf?

Ebola is a very nasty and horrible disease and whilst there is a (good?) chance it will be contained - there is also a very real need to realise that humans do not behave like programed automatons - people will also behave in ways that may contribute to the spread of the disease. That's human nature.

• Advertisement

Statement from the Belize government about the cruise ship incident. So the person apparently isn't sick. Probably related the CDC deciding to stop all people under monitoring from travelling. Clearly people have to be forced to do the obvious and not go on holiday when you're at risk of having ebola!

"Cruise Ship Passenger Quarantined - Belmopan, October 16, 2014 - The Government of Belize was contacted today by officers of the US Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola. The passenger had voluntarily entered quarantine on board the ship and remains free of any fever or other symptoms of illness. The Ebola virus may only be spread by patients who are experiencing fever and symptoms of illness and so the US Government had emphasized the very low risk category in this case. Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution, the Government of Belize decided not to facilitate a US request for assistance in evacuating the passenger through the Phillip Goldson International Airport.

The GOB reassures the public that the passenger never set foot in Belize and while we remain in close contact with US officials we have maintained the position that when even the smallest doubt remains, we will ensure the health and safety of the Belizean people. The Prime Minister has called a press conference tomorrow (Friday, October 17, 2014) morning to further address any concerns that may arise from this event. - end of release -"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Foot and Mouth point is interesting though. Reading the measures taken here and in the UK:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_UK_foot-and-mouth_crisis

there was lots of decisive, no bull**** action taken quickly at great expense and inconvenience. And we did it all here in Ireland before we had a single case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So there's no point derailing the thread with squabbling yet again. Just agree to disagree!

I believe I was trying to get the thread back on track and I believe any rational person would agree. I cant abide unfounded sweeping statements, I much prefer informed data driven debate. I know we have a serious problem here, but it's a serious problem in a handful of countries in West Africa (even though it's a few cases in the USA that get all the headlines).
    I am actually glad that this disease has reached the "west", Africa have been forced to cope with it alone since the 1970s. As GSK reported today, there will be vaccines available in 2015 but they admit it will probably only be of use to the "next" outbreak.

Good article (Apologies, I cannot post full urls yet)

w3.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29636355

Ebola crisis: WHO says major outbreak in West 'unlikely'

w3.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29640470

Christopher Dye, WHO director of strategy, said the introduction of Ebola into the US or other countries in Western Europe was a matter "for very serious concern".

"The possibility that once an infection has been introduced that it spreads elsewhere, is something that everybody is going to be concerned about," he said.

But he added: "We're confident that in North America and Western Europe where health systems are very strong, that we're unlikely to see a major outbreak in any of those places."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Christopher Dye, WHO director of strategy, said the introduction of Ebola into the US or other countries in Western Europe was a matter "for very serious concern".

"The possibility that once an infection has been introduced that it spreads elsewhere, is something that everybody is going to be concerned about," he said.

But he added: "We're confident that in North America and Western Europe where health systems are very strong, that we're unlikely to see a major outbreak in any of those places."

That's not very reassuring now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

Some new research shows little hope for stopping the virus in Africa. Says we are still in the very early stages of the outbreak.

If someone could repost the link, that would be great.
    http://currents.plos.org/outbreaks/article/obk-14-0043-modeling-the-impact-of-interventions-on-an-epidemic-of-ebola-in-sierra-leone-and-liberia/

SeanFrank wrote: »
    Some new research shows little hope for stopping the virus in Africa. Says we are still in the very early stages of the outbreak.

If someone could repost the link, that would be great.
    http://currents.plos.org/outbreaks/article/obk-14-0043-modeling-the-impact-of-interventions-on-an-epidemic-of-ebola-in-sierra-leone-and-liberia/

Sure - that looks like an interesting and comprehensive report.

Thanks

http://currents.plos.org/outbreaks/article/obk-14-0043-modeling-the-impact-of-interventions-on-an-epidemic-of-ebola-in-sierra-leone-and-liberia/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The bottom line is that all the big pharmaceutical companies and western governments know that this disease isn't a major threat to first world countries so they aren't going to spend millions developing and manufacturing a cure or vaccine that nobody will ever buy.

Sure they could use it in Africa, but who is going to pay? The impoverished Africans sure as hell aren't.

http://time.com/3515595/a-dallas-hospital-worker-self-monitoring-for-ebola-left-texas-on-a-cruise/

Turns out there is a self-monitoring health care worker on a Cruise ship according to Time magazine.

Though it appears from the report - that at least in this case there is very little chance that she contracted the Virus having only dealt with samples from Mr. Duncan - but I suppose we don't know all the details, and perhaps she's on the list because there was a spill or something.

Nevertheless, its another example of just how pathetically incompetent the US authorities were in dealing with the containment of the situation.

That's not very reassuring now is it.

I am fine with it, how would you have worded it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

http://time.com/3515595/a-dallas-hospital-worker-self-monitoring-for-ebola-left-texas-on-a-cruise/

Turns out there is a self-monitoring health care worker on a Cruise ship according to Time magazine.

Though it appears from the report - that at least in this case there is very little chance that she contracted the Virus having only dealt with samples from Mr. Duncan - but I suppose we don't know all the details, and perhaps she's on the list because there was a spill or something.

Nevertheless, its another example of just how pathetically incompetent the US authorities were in dealing with the containment of the situation.

I'd say there's a good chance it's the same person mentioned a few posts above (I get all my morning news from boards - saves having to go thru the papers)

It just occurred to me - you could make a strong case for expanding exit screening to include US ports ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I see irony isn't one of Dye's strong points. The USA with it's sophisticated, first world health system has made mind bogglingly stupid errors. At least the Liberians, Guineans and so on have the excuse that they don't even have a functioning health system to speak of! And Nigeria was fairly badass at containing it, we could learn from them. In the words of Q what justifies this smugness on the part of the West?

I am fine with it, how would you have worded it?

Instead of:
    "We're confident that in North America and Western Europe where health systems are very strong, that we're unlikely to see a major outbreak in any of those places."

I'd prefer if the statement had been:

"We're confident that in North America and Western Europe where health systems are very strong, that we're [highly] unlikely to see [any outbreak in those] places."

That would have been more re-assuring in my view.

Instead of:

"We're confident that in North America and Western Europe where health systems are very strong, that we're [highly] unlikely to see [any outbreak in those] places."

But ebola is already in the USA (albeit containable) so I don't see how "any" works?

• Advertisement

Instead of:

But I believe he wouldn't be able to make the above statement if:

It was determined there was a high likelihood of some level of outbreak (not being a major outbreak) in North America or Western Europe.

It was determined there was a possibility of a major outbreak in North America or Western Europe (with a probability of such occurrence currently under 50%).

In either case, he would have to make the statement as per that which was made.

But ebola is already in the USA (albeit containable) so I don't see how "any" works?

I suppose if you'd define 2 cases as an outbreak. I wouldn't have thought so, but perhaps it is.

I suppose if you'd define 2 cases as an outbreak. I wouldn't have thought so, but perhaps it is.

I see what you mean but I do see it as an outbreak; it was imported to a country (USA) that did not have it and now they have 3 or more cases (1 dead).

Anyway - assuming that "any" doesn't work in the statement for the reason you suggest. The statement could still have been "highly unlikely" in relation to "major outbreaks" - which it wasn't.

I see what you mean but I do see it as an outbreak; it was imported to a country (USA) that did not have it and now they have 3 or more cases (1 dead).

Yeah fair enough - it could be a minor outbreak (or rather non-major, depending on how they're classified)

Yeah fair enough - it could be a minor outbreak (or rather non-major, depending on how they're classified)

The same article has quoted Obama;

President Obama said the likelihood of a widespread Ebola outbreak was "very, very low".

The same article has quoted Obama;

President Obama said the likelihood of a widespread Ebola outbreak was "very, very low".

That's fair enough - and various people have said various different things and pronounced a myriad of views over the past couple of weeks. I'm happy to hear Mr. Obama has said such though I believe he has a different duty when making public statements than the WHO.

But really I'm just focusing (rightly or wrongly) on the WHO's statement. It's certainly just one statement and must be regarded as such, but nevertheless its a statement from one of the foremost Authorities on the situation.

Of course a debate can be gotten into as to the degree of authority the WHO actually represents - I've seen other posters here criticise the organisation (perhaps that debate is for another occasion).

As I know you're aware - I'm simply wondering why they didn't take the additional step to state it was "highly unlikely" - there's no doubt that around the globe there are people just like us (and unlike us too) analysing every word. They're well aware that they have a global podium right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

One of the reasons there isnt a vaccine at present is the mutability of the virus and the inherent danger to handling it..the flu vaccine has to be tweaked to be efficaious against each annual strain of flu because infuenza is also very mutable so how can they even predict that the ebola vaccine will work in the next outbreak? it is this current more virulent strain thats the major concern, or are they redicting a worse strain the next time and basing their vaccine n this, with that hypothesis in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been posted already and debunked but I just saw this on a website through FB and was wondering if anyone else has heard anything like this about Ebola. It all sounds way too conspiracy theory for me but could there be any truth to it at all?? Again apologies if it has already been discussed and dismissed.

"People in the Western World need to know what’s happening here in West Africa. THEY ARE LYING!!! “Ebola” as a virus does NOT Exist and is NOT “Spread”. The Red Cross has brought a disease to 4 specific countries for 4 specific reasons and it is only contracted by those who receive treatments and injections from the Red Cross. That is why Liberians and Nigerians have begun kicking the Red Cross out of their countries and reporting in the news the truth. Now bear with me:

REASONS:
    Most people jump to “depopulation” which is no doubt always on the mind of the West when it comes to Africa. But I assure you Africa can NEVER be depopulated by killing 160 people a day when thousands are born per day. So the real reasons are much more tangible.

Reason 1: This vaccine implemented sickness being “called” Ebola was introduced into West Africa for the end goal of getting troops on the ground in Nigeria, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. If you remember America was just trying to get into Nigeria for “Boko Haram” #BULL**** but that fell apart when Nigerians started telling the truth. There ARE NO GIRLS MISSING. Global support fell through the floor, and a new reason was needed to get troops into Nigeria and steal the new oil reserves they have discovered.

Reason 2: Sierra Leone is the World’s Largest Supplier of Diamonds. For the past 4 months they have been on strike, refusing to provide diamonds due to horrible working conditions and slave pay. The West will not pay a fair wage for the resources because the idea is to keep these people surviving on rice bags and foreign aid so that they remain a source of cheap slave labor forever. A reason was also needed to get troops on the ground in Sierra Leone to force an end to the diamond miners strikes. This is not the first time this has been done. When miners refuse to work troops are sent in and even if they have to kill and replace them all, the only desire is to get diamonds back flowing out of the country.

Of course to launch multiple campaigns to invade these countries separately would be way too fishy. But something like “Ebola” allows access to an entire area simultaneously…

Reason 3: In addition to stealing Nigerian oil, and forcing Sierra Leone back to mining, troops have also been sent in to FORCE vaccinations (Deadly “Ebola” Poison) onto those Africans who are not foolish enough to take them willingly.

3000 troops are being sent in to make sure that this “poison” continues to spread, because again it is only spread through vaccination. As more and more news articles are released as they have been in Liberia, informing the populous of the US lies and manipulation, more and more Africans are refusing to visit the Red Cross. Troops will force these vaccinations upon the people to ensure the visible appearance of an Ebola pandemic. In addition to this they will protect the Red Cross from the Liberians and Nigerians who have been rightfully ejecting them from their countries.

Reason 4: Last but not least, the APPEARANCE of this Ebola “pandemic” (should Americans not catch on) will be used to scare the countless millions into taking an “Ebola vaccine” which in reality is the pandemic. Already they have started with stories of how it has been brought to the U.S. and has appeared in Dallas, how white doctors were cured but black infected are not being allowed to be treated, etc.

ALL that will do is make blacks STRIVE to get the vaccine, because it appears that the “cure” is being held back from blacks. They will run out in droves to get it and then there will be serious problems. With all we have seen revealed about vaccines this year you would think we learned our lesson. All I can do is hope so, Because they rely on our ignorance to complete their agendas.

Ask yourself: If Ebola really was spread from person to person, instead of controlled spread through vaccination – then WHY would the CDC and the US Government continue to allow flights in and out of these countries with absolutely no regulation, Or At All? We have got to start thinking and sharing information globally because they do not give the true perspective of the people who live here in West Africa. They are lying for their own benefit and there aren’t enough voices out there with a platform to help share our reality. Hundreds of thousands have been killed, paralyzed and disabled by these and other “new” vaccines all over the world and we are finally becoming aware of it. Now what will we do with all this information?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been posted already and debunked but I just saw this on a website through FB and was wondering if anyone else has heard anything like this about Ebola. It all sounds way too conspiracy theory for me but could there be any truth to it at all?? Again apologies if it has already been discussed and dismissed.
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ask yourself: If Ebola really was spread from person to person, instead of controlled spread through vaccination – then WHY would the CDC and the US Government continue to allow flights in and out of these countries with absolutely no regulation, Or At All? We have got to start thinking and sharing information globally because they do not give the true perspective of the people who live here in West Africa. They are lying for their own benefit and there aren’t enough voices out there with a platform to help share our reality. Hundreds of thousands have been killed, paralyzed and disabled by these and other “new” vaccines all over the world and we are finally becoming aware of it. Now what will we do with all this information?"

Whut?

I couldn't hear you through my tinfoil hat

Advertisement