Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

A checkout lady in the shop seemed to have a cold and the customer ahead of me stood about as far back from her as he could and was very obvious about not touching her hand when making his payment. Maybe he's very germ-averse anyway but it crossed my mind...:/

or....maybe....just maybe....he didn't want to get a cold?

which to me.....seems to be perfectly rational behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

wexie wrote: »
    or....maybe....just maybe....he didn't want to get a cold?

which to me.....seems to be perfectly rational behaviour?

Yep, that's why I said he might be germ averse anyway :)

I think it's a bit extreme to be so obviously nervous, and a bit rude, and I've never seen that much of a reaction to someone sniffling.

Just a thought :) A runny nose doesn't seem like a huge deal, that's all.

I think it's a bit extreme to be so obviously nervous, and a bit rude, and I've never seen that much of a reaction to someone sniffling.

Yeah, but there's lots of weird and phobic people out there, may not have been intentionally rude.

Either way, I think it's probably a bit early to start breaking out the medical masks.

(never too early for rubber gloves though ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

You'd get it hard to find somewhere more isolated from rural Ireland than sierra leone, tbh, so probably gonna be fine. If you're in Sierra Leone, maybe not so much.

So I'm looking at boards and up on Sky news are two young people from Mali. Giving out about Ebola. They're in Dublin. At some Conference where they gather "young world leaders". Apart from the usual suspects who think we should all die in solidarity with Ebola sufferers does anyone have any faith that our glorious leaders can take effective action to protect the country?

Apart from the usual suspects who think we should all die in solidarity with Ebola sufferers does anyone have any faith that our glorious leaders can take effective action to protect the country?

I wouldn't have faith that our 'glorious leaders' could manage themselves out of a wet paper bag.

• Advertisement

Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

So I'm looking at boards and up on Sky news are two young people from Mali. Giving out about Ebola. They're in Dublin. At some Conference where they gather "young world leaders". Apart from the usual suspects who think we should all die in solidarity with Ebola sufferers does anyone have any faith that our glorious leaders can take effective action to protect the country?

Our "glorious" leaders will do what the EU and the Americans tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Mali hasn't had a single Ebola case. What is the problem with two young people travelling for a conference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Bus Pants I say...the solution to all of life's obsessive compulsive awkwardness :D

But in other news, this is how i feel right now about Ebola....

Leaving aside any panic, manufactured or otherwise, about the spread of a horrible disease, and the western-centric shock-horror that we die too from that virus ~ imagine! ~ I find it interesting that the UN and other western nations come out to decry the lack of funding available to them to fight Ebola.

Ban Ki Moon set up a fund aiming at getting $1 Billion to fight Ebola in Africa, where, panic aside, the disease is no doubt gaining a foothold.

The Centre for Disease Control in America reckons that statistically speaking, and given its present trajectory, the number of cases of Ebola infections could reach 1.4 million by January in Sierra Leone and Liberia. That would be a potential death toll of 700,000 - 1,000,000 Africans by Spring time...

The fund Ban Ki Moon set up has received approximately $100,000, and funding from elsewhere is said to be at a trickle, so these incredibly impoverished African nations (that the west has plundered and pillaged for generations) are left to fight a battle against this disease without proper help from those who could afford it.

And how could we afford it? Haven't we been brought to our knees by a global recession? Hmmmm. Well, as of 2012 Global spending on the military was running at 1.75 trillion dollars per year. A trillon is one million million. Divide that by 400 (to make it easier) representing approximate daily spend, and we get 4.3 billion spent every single day throughout the planet on arms.

Whatever one might think about conspiracies with respect to Ebola, and I have no particular opinion on this, I consider this fact of choosing ,military spending over humanitarian spending to be gross and despicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

FactCheck wrote: »
    Mali hasn't had a single Ebola case. What is the problem with two young people travelling for a conference?

1. Yet. A more likely source than say Antarctica.
    2. Recorded
    3. Trust in that country's government.
    4. Proximity to West Africa
    5. Flights for African delegates originated where?
    6. Who else was on that flight who had been to other West African areas?
    7. Incubation period of 2-21 days

There are too many variables for me to be comfortable with continuing unrestricted travel. Include Nigeria in that too. Caribbean countries have the right idea. See their travel ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bus Pants I say...the solution to all of life's obsessive compulsive awkwardness :D

But in other news, this is how i feel right now about Ebola....

Leaving aside any panic, manufactured or otherwise, about the spread of a horrible disease, and the western-centric shock-horror that we die too from that virus ~ imagine! ~ I find it interesting that the UN and other western nations come out to decry the lack of funding available to them to fight Ebola.

Ban Ki Moon set up a fund aiming at getting $1 Billion to fight Ebola in Africa, where, panic aside, the disease is no doubt gaining a foothold.

The Centre for Disease Control in America reckons that statistically speaking, and given its present trajectory, the number of cases of Ebola infections could reach 1.4 million by January in Sierra Leone and Liberia. That would be a potential death toll of 700,000 - 1,000,000 Africans by Spring time...

The fund Ban Ki Moon set up has received approximately $100,000, and funding from elsewhere is said to be at a trickle, so these incredibly impoverished African nations (that the west has plundered and pillaged for generations) are left to fight a battle against this disease without proper help from those who could afford it.

And how could we afford it? Haven't we been brought to our knees by a global recession? Hmmmm. Well, as of 2012 Global spending on the military was running at 1.75 trillion dollars per year. A trillon is one million million. Divide that by 400 (to make it easier) representing approximate daily spend, and we get 4.3 billion spent every single day throughout the planet on arms.

Whatever one might think about conspiracies with respect to Ebola, and I have no particular opinion on this, I consider this fact of choosing ,military spending over humanitarian spending to be gross and despicable.

Yeah totally agree its a feckin joke really. Was waiting for a bus to Salthill in Galway city centre the other day, when this coach pulled in with Japanese tourists, at least 5 or 6 of them had these blue surgical masks on, then they take them off at Eyre Square, what was the point of wearing them in first place. :confused:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I can't remember if this was mentioned in the thread already but the Ebola alert has now expanded to Ohio.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29654727

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yeah totally agree its a feckin joke really. Was waiting for a bus to Salthill in Galway city centre the other day, when this coach pulled in with Japanese tourists, at least 5 or 6 of them had these blue surgical masks on, then they take them off at Eyre Square, what was the point of wearing them in first place. :confused:
    I've been told that the Japanese, being extremely polite, tend to wear masks when they have a cold to avoid spreading it.

hmmm wrote: »
    I've been told that the Japanese, being extremely polite, tend to wear masks when they have a cold to avoid spreading it.

So what are you saying? They were intentionally spreading their colds on Eyre Square?

That's biological warfare right there that is :mad:
    Goddamn Japanese with their nukes, panty vending machines and biological warfare :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i guess the people who travelled on those planes with her and her family must now be scared,
    do we know if it can be spread by wind,
    also when looking at the news, we see people in their haz gear doing their job, and standing round at distance and sometimes not to distant are people in the normal clothing watching the goings on,
    i would think that they would ask all those to stay miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Goddamn Japanese with their nukes, panty vending machines and biological warfare :mad::mad::mad:
    Yes, but they did give the world the great music single "Turning Japanese", so let's not be too harsh.

goat2 wrote: »
    i guess the people who travelled on those planes with her and her family must now be scared,
    also when looking at the news, we see people in their haz gear doing their job, and standing round at distance and sometimes not to distant are people in the normal clothing watching the goings on,

I suppose some people think its like a sci fi movie or something and just gawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

goat2 wrote: »

It's not been proven to be airbourne!

What are bus pants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

What are bus pants?

Ahhhh...they are my beloved Sheldon's contribution to modern OCD :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bus+Pants&defid=5499919

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

So what are you saying? They were intentionally spreading their colds on Eyre Square?

That's biological warfare right there that is :mad:

They have nukes?

Ahhhh...they are my beloved Sheldon's contribution to modern OCD :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bus+Pants&defid=5499919

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ok I get what your saying however the international effort to provide medical, financial and food aid is growing and to date includes:

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

World food programme

WorldHealth Organisation

Médecins Sans Frontières

Economic Community of West African States

European Union

World Bank Group

Red Cross

International medical Corps

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Direct Relief

Samaritan's Purse

Welcome Trust

And many more ...

Countries include:

Australia

Canada

China

Cuba

France

Germany

Japan

United Kingdom

United States

And many more

The historical problem of corrupt governments and decades if internal warfare means unfortunately means that the infrastructure of some of the effected countries are on their knees. Despite decades of international development aid - some of which was woefully misappropriated by ruling elites and corrupt governments the medical resources are minimal - everything will have to be supplied from the ground up.

It will be a long haul ...

They have nukes?

Never spoil a good story rant with facts in AH.
    And also : of course they have nukes, this Fukushima thing was a cover up dont you know.

Gotta go, digging a fallout and ebola shelter, then it's off to Lidl to buy beans and bottled water. And toilet paper, if I'm going to be living off beans I'll need toilet paper.

Maybe some Sudocrem as well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

I was at the airport last week and saw a male Caucasian (ie. not Japanese) come out of arrivals with a mouth mask on - freaked me out! Reminded me of that film that I can't remember the name of now .....:eek:. Is this where we're headed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Never spoil a good story rant with facts in AH.
    And also : of course they have nukes, this Fukushima thing was a cover up dont you know.

Gotta go, digging a fallout and ebola shelter, then it's off to Lidl to buy beans and bottled water. And toilet paper, if I'm going to be living off beans I'll need toilet paper.

Maybe some Sudocrem as well :o

Damn! You're right! Mea Culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Woman under monitoring for ebola falls ill at DART station :eek:

No need to worry though, it's the Dallas Area Rapid Transit

Seriously, why do these people keep trying to travel on public transport?!
    DALLAS — A woman who was being monitored for possible exposure to the Ebola virus was reported ill at the Dallas Area Rapid Transit White Rock Station Saturday afternoon.

DART spokesman Morgan Lyons said the person fell ill with a low-grade fever at the station in Northeast Dallas after deciding that her quarantine period was over.

Dallas Fire-Rescue hazardous materials teams were dispatched to the station at 7333 East Northwest Highway, which serves the Blue Line light rail along with connecting bus routes.

DART said White Rock Station would be closed to bus and rail service until further notice; trains scheduled to stop at the station will not stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ceadaoin. wrote: »

If you want a good account of how infected individuals behave in the face of a serious outbreak read 'A Journal of a Plague Year' by Daniel Defoe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I was just on a packed tube in London today and realised that if ONE passenger with Ebola got on a packed tube, we would be all fooked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

ceadaoin. wrote: »

That really is incredible. What the hell is going on with these people being allowed to travel on mass transit systems, it's almost like they want to spread the virus.

Advertisement