Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I'm really hoping you become immune if you've survived a dose of ebola. We're in big trouble if not

I don't see how you couldn't be, for a while at least. Although I'm no biologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don't see how you couldn't be, for a while at least. Although I'm no biologist.

It looks like any immunity is questionable

See

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/19/will-pooley-ebola-returns-to-sierra-leone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

cml387 wrote: »
    It won't be "Breaking News" on Sky News though I'll bet.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

gozunda wrote: »

They don't know for certain, but it's highly likely that you'll be immune to this strain of the virus as your body will have developed the antibodies required to fight if off before an infection takes hold.

It's not guaranteed due to the fact that some virus mutations can affect the ability of the immune system to detect and attack an infection and some viruses can persist in the body and occasionally flare up (eg the herpes virus) but the evidence from previous ebola outbreaks is that once someone has survived an ebola infection, the virus is eradicated from the person's body and will not flare-up again. (thank feck)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

welcome to Ireland Ebola

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

welcome to Ireland Ebola

whut? how? where? who?

Is now a good time to start panicking?
    Is it? Is it? IS IT? :eek:

**** **** ****, I need to go out and get supplies
    But I can't go out or I could catch the ebola
    Maybe I'll hide for a while until all the zombies have eaten the ebola riddled corpses.

Yes yes, that's what i'll do, I'll wait for the zombies and in the meantime i'll sharpen my sword and my poking stick

gozunda wrote: »

I get that it hasn't been scientifically proven, but from a logical standpoint I'd assume you're immune to the strain for a while at least. I mean I wouldn't bet my life on it, but they claim, for example, that the virus is still present in semen for up to 3 weeks after recovery yet it doesn't reinfect the host.

It's good to see they're taking precautions, hopefully it will turn out to be malaria or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

welcome to Ireland Ebola

She almost certainly doesn't have ebola.

I wish the media would stop reporting every case of 'suspected' ebola as it's really just unnecessarily frightening people.

Akrasia wrote: »
    She almost certainly doesn't have ebola.

I wish the media would stop reporting every case of 'suspected' ebola as it's really just unnecessarily frightening people.

While I sort of agree I think it's important that they're shown to be doing something, in order to calm the panic among those who believe "Ireland couldn't possibly handle something like this".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

welcome to Ireland Ebola

Cant wait for our Joe to start yapping about this later.................

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

What the hell else would he be talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Reedsie wrote: »
    What the hell else would he be talking about?

Vacuum cleaners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

He's on it already.
    And Ireland's first use of the Isolation Unit in the Mater Hospital for symptoms requiring examination, are we prepared for Ebola? #Liveline

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I knew it would arrive, all this talk of it will never come to Ireland by the health department just shows how incompetent they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

He's on it already.

He'll looking for every gory description imaginable...

Dublin 7: Temporary road closures on Eccles Street and Berkeley Road. Please avoid area if possible. Diversions in place. Expect delays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Dublin 7: Temporary road closures on Eccles Street and Berkeley Road. Please avoid area if possible. Diversions in place. Expect delays

What has this got to do with Ebola? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Even if Mr Pooley had immunity he would still have to follow proper PPE procedure in case he transferred infectious fluids elsewhere.

Really don't like the media jumping on every single action 'potential' action of this virus. They're scaring people unnecessarily. Ebola isn't by any means pleasant but the odds of someone getting it are minuscule.

http://www.mater.ie/

Notice how it's on Eccles street....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Closed because the Mater is dealing with a potential case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

wexie wrote: »
    http://www.mater.ie/

Notice how it's on Eccles street....

So the Mater hospital is still open, they've just closed the street outside it? :rolleyes:

Expect major backlogs at other hospitals now as people will refuse to go to the matter, have the hse a back up plan for this, i think we all know the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

So the Mater hospital is still open, they've just closed the street outside it? :rolleyes:

Possibly to keep the media scrum away from the hospital.

Hey, I never said it made sense.
    Can't think of any reason why they would need to close the road unless it's to keep the press away.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

wexie wrote: »
    Hey, I never said it made sense.
    Can't think of any reason why they would need to close the road unless it's to keep the press away.

What if the patient vomited on the way into the hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Sorry to burst the doom merchants bubble but here is some excellent news...

Nigeria has been declared officially free of Ebola after six weeks with no new cases, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

WHO representative Rui Gama Vaz, speaking in the capital Abuja, said it was a "spectacular success story".

Nigeria won praise for its swift response after a Liberian diplomat brought the disease there in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

I knew it would arrive, all this talk of it will never come to Ireland by the health department just shows how incompetent they are.

I doubt it very much. She came from Nigeria.

Nigeria has been declared officially free of Ebola after six weeks with no new cases, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.
    WHO representative Rui Gama Vaz, speaking in the capital Abuja, said it was a "spectacular success story".
    Nigeria won praise for its swift response after a Liberian diplomat brought the disease there in July.

How long until the media tell us her blood test results?

• Advertisement

All this talk?

They never said it wouldn't come to Ireland. In fact, the EU statement in general is that the risk of isolated individuals case is low but cannot be excluded. Ireland is pretty much the same. You've more chances of winning the lottery than contracting this virus in a first world country but people do win the lotto and people do contract this virus.

Advertisement