Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes I can google - but do please at least try and back up your claims. I will also take you have sufficient professional medical background and relevant qualifications to make such a certified statement.

There are no semantics - it's a direct quote. Ignore it and replace it with your own reality of you like. It does not change the fact that the status of immunity from Ebola is presently unknown. As 'for on my own' I will stick with what the medical tem have detailed and not conjure up my own aspirations.

Btw you mentioned Will Pooleys antibodies being used as a 'cure' - the information detailed his donated plasma was being used for "research"
    He said he is keen to return to alleviate the suffering and put all the fuss about his own brush with the disease behind him. Before leaving he demonstrated typical selflessness, banking 1.2 litres of plasma in a lab in Birmingham to help WHO research on a “convalescent plasma therapy”.

“Some of it might be used for research and consent has been given. It may be possible to use it for any future patients,” he said. Pooley has also had white blood cells harvested for research. Last month he flew to the US where he gave a further three litres over six days.
    I'm on my phone, so posting links is awkward. However as it's the generally accepted view, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to verify. And yes, I do.

I never said his antibodies were being used as a cure, please don't misrepresent what I've said. As I understand it, the plasma he donated in the us was used in the treatment of one of the us doctors who was medivaced home.

It's completely semantics. Nobody is saying immunity is a certainty, just that knowing what we know it's likely. And so we presume immunity. You seem to have a stumbling block with that, so you can go ahead and presume what you like. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm on my phone, so posting links is awkward. However as it's the generally accepted view, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to verify. And yes, I do.

Perhaps you should check some of those links for arbarant viral behaviour when you have time and are not on your phone ...
    I never said his antibodies were being used as a cure, please don't misrepresent what I've said. As I understand it, the plasma he donated in the us was used in the treatment of one of the us doctors who was medivaced home.

You stated
    Will Pooley's medical team presume he is immune. He has travelled to the US to donate antibodies to treat another victim - because it is presumed his antibodies will fight the disease.

You might want to restate part of that then ...

It's completely semantics. Nobody is saying immunity is a certainty, just that knowing what we know it's likely. And so we presume immunity. You seem to have a stumbling block with that, so you can go ahead and presume what you like. Happy days.

I am quoting the medical team re Will Pooley - don't know what your reading. I didn't state the current opinion on immunity - but if you wish to rewrite it that's ok too ;)

Perhaps you should check some of those links for arbarant viral behaviour when you have time and are not on your phone ...

you do know what 'aberrant' means, don't you? So, no, I don't think i need to restate anything.

You stated

You might want to restate part of that then ...

Again, no. I stated that the antibodies were being used as part of the treatment.

I am quoting the medical team re Will Pooley - don't know what your reading. I didn't state the current opinion on immunity - but if you wish to rewrite it that's ok too ;)

Will Pooley's team said, in your quote earlier, that it was widely assumed once infected, a person was immune. So I don't know what you're problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

That argument makes absolutely no sense.

It does.

This argument isn't a good use of the limited time either of us have allotted to us on this Earth, so let's leave it. You're free to presume what you wish.

you do know what 'aberrant' means, don't you? So, no, I don't think i need to restate anything.

Ahh yes I do actually (apologies for the typo btw - I was on my phone ;) )

And from the dictionary - "BIOLOGY
    diverging from the normal type.(eg)
    "aberrant chromosomes"
    I never said his antibodies were being used as a cure, please don't misrepresent what I've said. As I understand it, the plasma he donated in the us was used in the treatment of one of the us doctors who was medivaced home. ... Again, no. I stated that the antibodies were being used as part of the treatment.

I believe I have not misepresented anything - you clearly stated -
    ... He has travelled to the US to donate antibodies to treat another victim - because it is presumed his antibodies will fight the disease.

And that does not imply a 'cure' ? - knock me down with a feather there's a storm a coming :rolleyes:

Will Pooley's team said, in your quote earlier, that it was widely assumed once infected, a person was immune. So I don't know what you're problem is?

Excuse me for asking but you did read the bit that said that under medical advice he has to presume that he is not immune? It really can't get any clear than that.

• Advertisement

Ahh yes I do actually (apologies for the typo btw - I was on my phone ;) )

And from the dictionary - "BIOLOGY
    diverging from the normal type.(eg)
    "aberrant chromosomes"

And that does not imply a 'cure' ? - knock me down with a feather there's a storm a coming :rolleyes:

Excuse me for asking but you did read the bit that said that under medical advice he has to presume that he is not immune? It really can't get any clear than that.

Christ. You're very difficult. Loads and loads of treatments are not cures. I'm sorry if that information knocks you down.

Look, you are clearly entrenched in our views
    I'm not wasting any more of my time explaining it to you.

Like many commenters on this epidemic, people would do well to take a step back and look at the 'big picture'.

Christ. You're very difficult. Loads and loads of treatments are not cures. I'm sorry if that information knocks you down.

(I'll ignore the irrelevant and sily personal comment.) So it is not research as was actually stated then ?
    Look, you are clearly entrenched in our views
    I'm not wasting any more of my time explaining it to you.

Touché ! However I have not given 'my views' I simply restated what was detailed by Will Pooleys medical team - in full and not my presumptions of the issue
    Like many commenters on this epidemic, people would do well to take a step back and look at the 'big picture'.

The devil is in the detail as they say ... ;)

(I'll ignore the irrelevant and sily personal comment.) So it is not research as was actually stated then ?

Quote:
    ... He has travelled to the US to donate antibodies to treat another victim - because it is presumed his antibodies will fight the disease.
    And that does not imply a 'cure' ? - knock me down with a feather there's a storm a coming

You seem to think that 'fighting disease' = 'cure'. You are mistaken.
    The research use of antibodies wasn't part of my discussion at all. I'm glad they are being used and hope they will prove useful.

Touché ! However I have not given 'my views' I simply restated what was detailed by Will Pooleys medical team - in full and not my presumptions of the issue

The point is that Pooley's medial team, along with the majority (at least) of the medical world, presume prior infection will infer at least some immunity. You seem to have a problem acknowledging this.
    The advice given to Pooley as an individual was given with an abundance of caution, as it can not be unequivocally stated that he is immune.
    The devil is in the detail as they say ... ;)

Yes, but far more useful to see the big picture.

At this point, I've had it with this point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

What Nigeria did right;
    Chukwu and Dr. Faisal Shuaib of the country’s Ebola Emergency Operation Center, broke it down

1. Preparing early. Nigeria knew it was possible a case of Ebola would make it into the country, so officials got to work early by training health care workers on how to manage the disease, and disseminating information so the country knew what to expect.

2. Declaring an emergency—right away. When Nigeria had its first confirmed case of Ebola, the government declared a national public health emergency immediately. This allowed the Ministry of Health to form its Ebola Emergency Operations Center (EOC). The EOC is an assembly of public health experts within Nigeria as well as the WHO, Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and groups like Doctors Without Borders. “[We] used a war-room approach to coordinate the outbreak response,” Shuaib said. “So you have a situation whereby government and staff of international development agencies are co-located in a designated facility where they are able to agree on strategies, develop one plan and implement this plan together.”
    The EOC was in charge of contact tracing (the process of identifying and monitoring people who may have had direct or indirect contact with Ebola patients), implementing strict procedures for handling and treating patients, screening all individuals arriving or departing the country by land, air and sea, and communicating with the community. Some workers went door-to-door to offer Ebola-related education, and others involved religious and professional leaders. Social media was a central part of the education response.

3. Training local doctors. Nigerian doctors were trained by Doctors Without Borders and WHO, and treated patients in shifts with their oversight.

4. Managing fear. “Expectedly, people were scared of contracting the disease,” Shuaib said. “In the beginning, there was also some misinformation about available cures, so fear and inaccurate rumors had to be actively managed.” Nigeria used social media to to ramp up awareness efforts, and publicized patients who were successfully treated and discharged. “People began to realize that contracting Ebola was not necessarily a death sentence,” Shuai said. “Emphasizing that reporting early to the hospital boosts survival gave comfort that [a person] has some level of control over the disease prognosis.”

5. Keeping borders open. Nigeria has not closed its borders to travelers from Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, saying the move would be counterproductive. “Closing borders tends to reinforce panic and the notion of helplessness,” Shuaib said. “When you close the legal points of entry, then you potentially drive people to use illegal passages, thus compounding the problem.” Shuaib said that if public health strategies are implemented, outbreaks can be controlled, and that closing borders would only stifle commercial activities in the countries whose economies are already struggling due to Ebola.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 laurinjames

Has the panic stopped yet or is the panic on the increase ?

• Advertisement

You seem to think that 'fighting disease' = 'cure'. You are mistaken.
    The research use of antibodies wasn't part of my discussion at all. I'm glad they are being used and hope they will prove useful.

Yes well done that was your mistake. Read the original article referenced again
    The point is that Pooley's medial team, along with the majority (at least) of the medical world, presume prior infection will infer at least some immunity. You seem to have a problem acknowledging this.
    The advice given to Pooley as an individual was given with an abundance of caution, as it can not be unequivocally stated that he is immune.

I see that the light is beginning to dawn. Well done

Yes, but far more useful to see the big picture.
    only if the detail has been properly understood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

The panic has peaked, people are more informed now. It's still a major problem in 3 countries in West Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm not really worried about Ebola. I rarely get colds or flus and when I do they usually only last about 24hrs. I'd say I'm pretty much Ebola-proof. :cool:

Yes well done that was your mistake. Read the original article referenced again

No mistake, it was widely reported at the time. You might do well to do a bit of reading yourself.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/ebola-outbreak-survivor-william-pooley-flown-to-us-to-give-doctor-with-virus-emergency-blood-transfusion-9737888.html

"William Pooley, the British nurse who was cured of the Ebola, has been flown to America on a life-saving mission to give blood to a new victim of the deadly virus".
    I see that the light is begin ongoing to dawn. Well done

You really are coming across as quite dim. Nobody has said it is a certainty either way weather there is immunity or not. The medics who know a thing or two about it would presume there is immunity, you seem to have a rather large issue with this.:confused:
    only if the detail has been properly understood

I think you'll find understanding the big picture is far far more important than understanding details.

Now where is that brick wall again?

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I'm not really worried about Ebola. I rarely get colds or flus and when I do they usually only last about 24hrs. I'd say I'm pretty much Ebola-proof. :cool:

Would you like to test that theory out ?

Would you like to test that theory out ?

I wouldn't actively go looking to get infected, no. That would be silly.

I wouldn't actively go looking to get infected, no. That would be silly.

but you just claimed you were ebola proof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

We'll all just leave you two to fight away! :rolleyes:

but you just claimed you were ebola proof ?

I said I was 'pretty much Ebola proof'. I'd say I'm about 90% Ebola resistant. :cool:
    ElizaT33 wrote: »
    We'll all just leave you two to fight away! :rolleyes:

Who is fighting?

I said I was 'pretty much Ebola proof'. I'd say I'm about 90% Ebola resistant. :cool:

based on what ?

• Advertisement

based on what ?

When I get the flu it doesn't last long. One Lemsip and I'm as right as rain. I'd say three Lemsips for Ebola and I'd be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

When I get the flu it doesn't last long. One Lemsip and I'm as right as rain. I'd say three Lemsips for Ebola and I'd be grand.

Might need a hot water bottle just to be sure?

Might need a hot water bottle just to be sure?

Good idea, it could well hasten the recovery. A couple of Hot Toddys would do no harm either, 'tis the weather for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PaulBrown1985

I think it's unstoppable now, unless a cure shows up. It only takes 1 person to spread the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well it definitely seems to be fading as far as the media are concerned but then maybe they are waiting for the next big development.

We must be due an update soon from the WHO in terms of numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

No no no the only known cure for Ebola is flat 7up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I think it's unstoppable now, unless a cure shows up. It only takes 1 person to spread the disease.

Apart from the places where it's been stopped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

No no no the only known cure for Ebola is flat 7up.
    I saw them getting Lucozade in coverage from Africa! Maybe that's where they're going wrong.

I've a feeling you've never had influenza!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've a feeling you've never had influenza!

I have, it was so bad I was wishing I had Ebola :(

Advertisement