Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No no no the only known cure for Ebola is flat 7up.

Nonsense! Warm Guinness, of the toddler remedy variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Turtwig wrote: »
    Nonsense! Warm Guinness, of the toddler remedy variety.

Warm guiness? bleurgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

but you just claimed you were ebola proof ?

Ebola proof ?

091.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I think it's unstoppable now, unless a cure shows up. It only takes 1 person to spread the disease.

So what measures are you taking to avoid your impending doom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

These so called Ebola cases in Ireland are most worrying,whereby people are quarantined and turn out to have no virus.They trivialise the whole pandemic.Can they not do their research before making big announcements?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Warm guiness? bleurgh!

If it tasted nice, it wouldn't be medicine, thems the rules..

(calpol not included)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

I think it's unstoppable now, unless a cure shows up. It only takes 1 person to spread the disease.

Hardly.
    Although the outbreak in Nigeria was caused by one very stupid person who got on a plane with symptoms, it has now been declared by the World Health Organization to be over.
    WHO calling it a "spectacular success story", although if I were a gambler I would have put money against that outcome.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

gozunda wrote: »
    Can't see the apartment being that popular as a re-let or potential sale ...

Caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Who is fighting?

2 bouts going on.
    ProfessorPlum and Gozunda are stuck in a technical contest trying to outscore each other on points.

Creative Juices and Peist2007 have recently gone toe to toe. Peist isn't throwing many punches but Creative is still struggling to land a knockout blow. Peist has good ringcraft and is very adept at sidestepping.

2 enthralling contests which are a fantastic advertisement for the sport here in the After Hours Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Johngoose wrote: »
    These so called Ebola cases in Ireland are most worrying,whereby people are quarantined and turn out to have no virus.They trivialise the whole pandemic.Can they not do their research before making big announcements?!

They closed down the roads leading to the Mater. Dudes in hazmats suits were seen going into the hospital by the general public. Not being open and frank about what was going on would have led to Chinese whispers and a much more freaked out general public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

(Oh, and in case you're wondering, no, we haven't yet recorded a 'native' infection of chikungunya, but we did see a first case of 'native' dengue fever a few months ago. Anyone for a bottle of European mosquito repellent? :D )

Well, seems like I spoke too soon. Press conference this afternoon to report on four cases of chikungunya virus infection contracted by innoncent French folk who never set foot outside their département. OK, so it doesn't kill you (but then neither does Ebola if it's treated in time) but you've got much better chance of catching it in on your Club Med holiday. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Well, seems like I spoke too soon. Press conference this afternoon to report on four cases of chikungunya virus infection contracted by innoncent French folk who never set foot outside their département. OK, so it doesn't kill you (but then neither does Ebola if it's treated in time) but you've got much better chance of catching it in on your Club Med holiday. :pac:
    Ebola has no treatment it's all supportive care for the patient

Interesting contrast in how the UK media (proper media, not the rags) are dealing with the same exact story as the U.S. media
    Fewer than three people a month infected with the Ebola virus are likely to try to board planes out of west Africa, according to a study that says exit screening would be the most efficient way to try to prevent travellers spreading disease.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/21/ebola-exit-screening-most-efficient-says-lancet-study
    Up to three Ebola-infected travelers might board an international flight each month in West Africa, according to a new study, and potentially spread the deadly virus to other countries.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/20/health/ebola-travelers-study/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Good to see someone cured of the virus with seemingly serum from an infected patient who recovered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The only way to stop it spreading from Africa is to stop all flights out and quarantine aid workers who are returning home.

josip wrote: »
    2 bouts going on.
    ProfessorPlum and Gozunda are stuck in a technical contest trying to outscore each other on points.

Creative Juices and Peist2007 have recently gone toe to toe. Peist isn't throwing many punches but Creative is still struggling to land a knockout blow. Peist has good ringcraft and is very adept at sidestepping.

2 enthralling contests which are a fantastic advertisement for the sport here in the After Hours Arena.

Nah it was simply a case of alternative reality imaginings of an article that was originally posted :D. 'Twas Corrected then other poster started mud slinging - I baled ... Couldn't be bothered with tha ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
    There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, a hole.

There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
    There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, a hole.

I think that was a blow not a hole - a blowhole maybe? ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    I think that was a blow not a hole - a blowhole maybe? ;)

I am not sure but I do feel we are going around in circles on this thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The only way to stop it spreading from Africa is to stop all flights out and quarantine aid workers who are returning home.

wouldn't it make more sense to quarantine them before allowing them to come home? (or is that what you meant?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

You can remain proud as you have really contributed.
    Peist2007, are you delighted Nigeria beat ebola?
    You cant admit it, can you?
    Are you happy that Nigeria has been declared ebola free?
    I just wanted you to see you say something positive. It's ok.

Tell Spring Onion to get back on. By that, i mean log out and log back in as Spring Onion ;)

Can someone test Peist2007 for ebola - I have no idea what he is on about.

Peist2007, initially my aim was to see you say something positive about the fight against ebola but as I explained yesterday, after you reported me, it's ok.

Good day to you Sir ;)

I see what you mean alright ;)

While the Ebola crisis continues unabated in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, there was better news elsewhere in West Africa on Monday, as the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared Nigeria free of the deadly virus. In the US, meanwhile, more than 40 people were taken off an Ebola watchlist, having failed to develop symptoms after coming into contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian patient who died of the disease in Dallas on 8 October.

Nigeria fielded its first Ebola patient in Lagos in July, leading to 19 confirmed cases in the country, seven of whom died. That handful of deaths stoked fears of an epidemic in Africa’s most populous country, but in a statement praising Nigeria for its swift and effective response to the virus, the WHO said, “This is a spectacular success story that shows that Ebola can be contained.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Peist thinks everyone who disagrees with a point he makes is 'Spring Onion'!

Now there's a guy with omnipresence ;)

Good article here from Forbes, the lessons from Uganda section are interesting.

Apolgies, still cant post full links...

w3.forbes.com/sites/davidkroll/2014/10/20/what-can-africas-ebola-containment-successes-teach-other-nations/

No, the only way to stop it spreading from africa is to nuke africa from orbit. But that'll kill all the (african) elephants so we probably shouldn't do that.

One sure fire way to ensure that this disease becomes an out of control pandemic in the continent of africa is to close the borders and make international assistance even more difficult than it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Are you actually saying that it would be ok to kill hundreds of millions of people except for the fact that in doing so we would kill some elephants?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Are you actually saying that it would be ok to kill hundreds of millions of people except for the fact that in doing so we would kill some elephants?

No not at all. That'd be outrageous! S/he's saying it would be ok to kill a billion people only for the unwanted casualty of a few hundred thousand elephants.

• Advertisement

Sarcasm detector not working today?

Advertisement