Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Has no one seen the walking dead?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight.

Just spotted this up on newsnow (the news aggregator with kw/topic filter) Aug 03, 2014 22:30, so still all TBC but...: story....
    Again, still to be fully verified, but the plane was quarantined as officials desperately tried to trace everyone who had been in contact with the woman, 'just in case'....

After the D'Mirror's 'newspaper selling headline' {Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight}

...a 'non newspaper selling' sentence at the bottom of article says:

“The patient’s symptoms suggest that Ebola is unlikely but as a precaution this is one of the tests being undertaken." So is all still rather speculative.

They say she showed no symptoms during the flight, but things went downhill quickly towards arrival, my money is maybe on a very very sever allergic reaction to fish pie, nuts or something, tragic all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Joe Doe wrote: »
    After the D'Mirror's 'newspaper selling headline' {Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight}

...a 'non newspaper selling' sentence at the bottom of article says:

“The patient’s symptoms suggest that Ebola is unlikely but as a precaution this is one of the tests being undertaken." So is all still rather speculative.

They say she showed no symptoms during the flight, but things went downhill quickly towards arrival, my money is maybe on a very very sever allergic reaction to fish pie, nuts or something, tragic all the same.

BBC says the test was negative

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28634903
    A test for Ebola has been carried out on a female passenger who died after arriving in the UK from The Gambia.

The Department for Health said the test on the woman, who landed at Gatwick Airport on Saturday, came back negative on Sunday afternoon

• Advertisement

Second case in Lagos. Doctor who treated the traveller contracted ebola 15 days ago.
    70 other people believed to have come into contact with the Liberian traveller were being monitored, with eight placed in quarantine including three who were "symptomatic"
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/08/nigeria-ebola-doctor-contracts-virus-20148413329144139.html

The CD have now issued Airlines with safety guidelines on handling Ebola.

http://time.com/3078337/ebola-cdc-guidleines-aircrew-airines-cabin-crew-passengers/

Crew members on a flight with a passenger or other crew member who is ill with a fever, jaundice, or bleeding and who is traveling from or has recently been in a risk area should follow these precautions:

- Keep the sick person separated from others as much as possible.
    - Provide the sick person with a surgical mask (if the sick person can tolerate wearing one) to reduce the number of droplets expelled into the air by talking, sneezing, or coughing.
    - Give tissues to a sick person who cannot tolerate a mask. Provide a plastic bag for disposing of used tissues.
    - Wear impermeable disposable gloves for direct contact with blood or other body fluids.

rest of Guidelines here.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/air/managing-sick-travelers/ebola-guidance-airlines.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Probably already posted but I'm not reading 17 pages to check but the recent Vice documentary about the breakout in Liberia would make you angry. The people are dog ignorant, outright denying the existence of ebola, continuing to eat smoked fruit bat which spreads the disease, you'd have to be mad to want to help people that don't want to help themselves.

Probably already posted but I'm not reading 17 pages to check but the recent Vice documentary about the breakout in Liberia would make you angry. The people are dog ignorant, outright denying the existence of ebola, continuing to eat smoked fruit bat which spreads the disease, you'd have to be mad to want to help people that don't want to help themselves.

I think they may be taking it more serious now families of Liberians living in America are trying to get flights for them to the US. I would say some of the Africans living here will have same concerns about there familes.

Plus I also read that Delta Airlines are evacuating Americans from Liberia. But not sure how true it is.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/269766891.html

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=319712

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

That's a bit harsh. Peoples entrenched tradition and cultural beliefs are very hard to shift. Speak to any devout Catholic / Muslim / (insert slmost any belief system). It's not simply that they don't want to help themselves. They certainly don't want to die of Ebola, but it seems they are ignorant of the risks and suspicious of outsiders telling them to act in conflict of their long held beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

A man is being tested for Ebola at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City according to this article
    A man who recently returned to New York City from a West African country is being tested for Ebola after showing up Monday at the Mount Sinai Hospital emergency room, according to a report.

The unidentified man had gastrointestinal symptoms and a high fever Monday morning after visiting one of the four African countries where Ebola has been confirmed

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man-tested-ebola-new-york-city-hospital-report-article-1.1891511?utm_content=buffer308c5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw#ixzz39SLjp2vx

EDIT: "Odds are it's not Ebola." Dr. Jeremy Boal, Chief Medial Officer.

Strange it taken them <2 days to confirm, whilst the lady in Gatwick it was <2 hrs.
    A case in crowded Lagos (17million) could carry more international risk than in NY.

Meanwhile a magic serum 'ZMapp' could be on the way from ' MAPP Biopharmaceutical / Tekmira Pharmaceuticals /Reynolds American Services etc'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

While I do agree that this is not a problem of the western world and that the reason it has spread so fast is due to being uneducated and different hygiene rituals, I'm interested to know just how come so many doctors that would surely be suited and equipped with all the appropriate gowns and masks have gotten themselves infected?
    I read today some people in Sierra Leone are quite happy that it may spread to the western world as they said there will never be a cure released unless it does. Sad state of affairs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'd imagine medical staff would acquire it from contact outside of work. Some would make mistakes but most probably be man handled by carriers or infected unknowingly in their daily lives outside of with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

As a regular traveller through a couple of big European airports with West African routes, this is beginning to slightly concern me. I get the risk is still quite minimal but at the same time it's still disconcerting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Around 2000 people a day die of malaria, why aren't Sky scare-mongering about that?

Northern Europe is not within the range of the mosquito. So naturally we don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sugar Free wrote: »
    As a regular traveller through a couple of big European airports with West African routes, this is beginning to slightly concern me. I get the risk is still quite minimal but at the same time it's still disconcerting.

Just wear a sign telling black people to keep their distance from you. You should be fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Northern Europe is not within the range of the mosquito. So naturally we don't care

There are plenty of Mosquitos in Northern Europe. I saw a program on tv recently (can't remember what it was called) but researchers are finding increased numbers of Mosquitos in the uk and more significantly more of the species that are capable of transmitting malaria, so theoretically it's possible to transmit malaria in the uk/Northern Europe. But yeah, the pharma companies don't seem too interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Doctor who treated the traveller contracted ebola

really?

Doctor who treated the traveller contracted ebola really?
    Yes.

• Advertisement

Nigeria now has eight suspected ebola cases and one confirmed case.
    All eight people who are suspected of having Ebola came into contact with Patrick Sawyer, who died from the virus in Lagos last month after flying there from Liberia http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/8/5/second-ebola-patientarrivesinusfortreatment.html
    Bear in mind, Sawyer arrived in Lagos on 20 July

Spain have said they will repatriate their people who tested positive for Ebola in Liberia.

An Airbus of the Spanish Air Force operated by the Group 45 is ready to go from the one in the morning bound for Liberia. Defense Ministry sources have confirmed to Cadena SER that have that device ready, but in any case needs to be enabled specifically for, the transfer of a patient with Ebola. Depending on the time it takes to enable the plane could go before or after but defense sources insist that the device would be available to operate the same morning. This type of aircraft, the Airbus is aeres Out of that has been used cooeprantes transfer.

full article here, will have to do your own translate:)

http://www.cadenaser.com/sociedad/articulo/espana-repatriara-religioso-ebola-liberia/csrcsrpor/20140805csrcsrsoc_9/Tes

http://noticias.lainformacion.com/espana/espana-repatriara-al-religioso-con-ebola-en-liberia_JvwVOf1njJCK66uOwF4Hu3/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Jake1 wrote: »
    Spain have said they will repatriate their people who tested positive for Ebola in Liberia.

An Airbus of the Spanish Air Force operated by the Group 45 is ready to go from the one in the morning bound for Liberia. Defense Ministry sources have confirmed to Cadena SER that have that device ready, but in any case needs to be enabled specifically for, the transfer of a patient with Ebola. Depending on the time it takes to enable the plane could go before or after but defense sources insist that the device would be available to operate the same morning. This type of aircraft, the Airbus is aeres Out of that has been used cooeprantes transfer.

full article here, will have to do your own translate:)

http://www.cadenaser.com/sociedad/articulo/espana-repatriara-religioso-ebola-liberia/csrcsrpor/20140805csrcsrsoc_9/Tes

http://noticias.lainformacion.com/espana/espana-repatriara-al-religioso-con-ebola-en-liberia_JvwVOf1njJCK66uOwF4Hu3/

I strongly disagree with what they are doing. the only way to fight this virus is to contain it. moving patients outside the quarantine zone , to another continent, violates all laws of containment. It's both stupid and wreckless in my opinion. compassion doesn't come into it when trying to contain a bio level 4 agent that's clearly out of control. they should not be doing this. If they really must violate laws of containment then dock a ship off the coast of Africa and treat them on that. but stop transferring the virus to different continents. stop doing that.

WakeUp wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with what they are doing. the only way to fight this virus is to contain it. moving patients outside the quarantine zone , to another continent, violates all laws of containment. It's both stupid and wreckless in my opinion. compassion doesn't come into it when trying to contain a bio level 4 agent that's clearly out of control. they should not be doing this. If they really must violate laws of containment then dock a ship off the coast of Africa and treat them on that. but stop transferring the virus to different continents. stop doing that.

I'm sorry but I know if I contracted this virus over there I would want to be treated at home in order to give myself the best chance of survival. There is no way I would want to be treated over there. The virus is hard to transmit unless there's direct contact with vomit, blood or diarrhea, people need to chill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I know if I contracted this virus over there I would want to be treated at home in order to give myself the best chance of survival. There is no way I would want to be treated over there. The virus is hard to transmit unless there's direct contact with vomit, blood or diarrehia, people need to chill out.

but surly they would have more experience treating it over there???

also I taught there is no cure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I'm sorry but I know if I contracted this virus over there I would want to be treated at home in order to give myself the best chance of survival. There is no way I would want to be treated over there. The virus is hard to transmit unless there's direct contact with vomit, blood or diarrehia, people need to chill out.

I am quite chilled about this actually I've been following it since it started. anything could happen on the flight or enroute to the hospital or in the hospital. this is a particularly virulent strain .moving those people they are violating laws of containment and putting other people at risk. when dealing with a potential slate cleaner like Ebola compassion doesn't come into it. common sense and maximum caution is what it's about. you don't violate a quarantine zone for any person for any reason you just don't do it. I completely understand what you're saying but I still disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just wear a sign telling black people to keep their distance from you. You should be fine then.

Does that really work ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Does that really work ? :pac:

yes...but it can be a balls to get a taxi at times though:P

*well out the country from town anyway

I'm sorry but I know if I contracted this virus over there I would want to be treated at home in order to give myself the best chance of survival. There is no way I would want to be treated over there. The virus is hard to transmit unless there's direct contact with vomit, blood or diarrhea, people need to chill out.

people are just discussing the outbreak, I think we are all quite chill in fairness. havent seen anyone post that they are bugging out just yet :);)

personally, Im interested in the story, but Im not freaking out ( not yet , anyway)

• Advertisement

but surly they would have more experience treating it over there???

also I taught there is no cure

If caught in time all you need is to be hydrated and your body will fight it naturally.

Advertisement