Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Guessing it has been said already, but what is an "aminal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I've noticed recently on Today FM that Matt Cooper has finally mastered the correct pronunciation of theatre after years of theater.

I do wish he'd go on to master the pronunciation of ”with ", which he always renders as "wit".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Guessing it has been said already, but what is an "aminal"

I don't think it has and since you asked.

An aminal or aminoacetal is a functional group or type of chemical compound that has two amine groups attached to the same carbon atom: -C(NR2)(NR2)-. (As is customary in organic chemistry, R can represent hydrogen or an alkyl group.)

The aminal and the hemiaminal groups are the cousins of hemiacetals and acetals with nitrogen replaced by oxygen. Aminals are encountered in, for instance, the Fischer indole synthesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I do wish he'd go on to master the pronunciation of ”with ", which he always renders as "wit".

Now here's your noos wit Juliet Gash . . .

'Both' is another word he really can't conquer, he also struggles wit through and true + he mixes up thought and taught, but at least he's sorted out theatre :)

I think some of it has to do with his accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I see the likes of this on Facebook everyday. Makes me cringe.

We where ment to meet at seven hun. We're are you. I could off whent to your house. Did you get de straytnors of Louise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

I can never understand the periodic appearance of "you" instead of possessive adjective "your" in all forms of written communication
    Seriously, you see it everywhere eg. bank letters "Please provide us you proof of address"
    Why?

Don't have any problem with the long-established use of "me" instead of "my" in vocal communication, though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"The thing is, is that...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I don't think it has and since you asked.

An aminal or aminoacetal is a functional group or type of chemical compound that has two amine groups attached to the same carbon atom: -C(NR2)(NR2)-. (As is customary in organic chemistry, R can represent hydrogen or an alkyl group.)

The aminal and the hemiaminal groups are the cousins of hemiacetals and acetals with nitrogen replaced by oxygen. Aminals are encountered in, for instance, the Fischer indole synthesis.

I'm impressed pretty sure that the people I encountered using the word were not talking about this thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Like on the Savage Eye, where the Guardai are taught to say "vehickle", I think politicians are taught to say "treminjuss", some of them also learn "millon" and "billon".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

MJ23 wrote: »
    I think politicians are taught to say "treminjuss", some of them also learn "millon" and "billon".

But where did Michael Noonan, a confimed "billonaire", get "two thirteen", "two fourteen", "two fifteen", etc for the years 2013, 2014, 2015, and so on? It seems to be unique to him (and uniquely irritating to me), or do you know of anyone else with this affectation?

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    But where did Michael Noonan, a confimed "billonaire", get "two thirteen", "two fourteen", "two fifteen", etc for the years 2013, 2014, 2015, and so on? It seems to be unique to him (and uniquely irritating to me), or do you know of anyone else with this affectation?

If you mean by "uniquely irritating to me" that you are the only one being irritated then you are wrong. Other people have expressed similar irritation on this thread.

If you mean that it is the sole thing which irritates you then you could perhaps consider yourself lucky. Some people on this thread are irritated by many different things concerning pronunciation and grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

People who talk about plugging out things. The term you're looking for is "unplug". Is "plug out" some kind of direct translation from Klingon Irish? ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Archery instead of artery.

There is an ad for health screening on TV regularly where this mistake is made! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

My other one is very unique - I even shudder typing it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I live in London, and I can’t bear the way some people here say ‘somefink’ instead of ‘something’

Also ‘innit’ makes some sense when it replaces ‘isn’t it’ (e.g. “It’s a nice day, innit?”), but some people stick the word on the end of their sentences even when it makes no sense at all (“You disrespectin’ me, innit?”)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Reading a report in a newspaper today - "A source said I seen such and such.."
    Even if the source did say 'I seen', I wish the person writing the article had written it as 'I saw'.
    Am amazed at the amount of people interviewed on tv etc, of all ages and stages who say 'I seen', and 'I done'.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Reading a report in a newspaper today - "A source said I seen such and such.."
    Even if the source did say 'I seen', I wish the person writing the article had written it as 'I saw'.
    Am amazed at the amount of people interviewed on tv etc, of all ages and stages who say 'I seen', and 'I done'.

I am not amazed at the number of people who incorrectly use amount instead of number in the context which you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

People who pronounce specifically as pacifically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

A bugbear of mine is the misuse of the word "then" in a sentence.I'm not sure if it's just the Irish who typically misuse the word or whether it's a universal faux-pas.For example:"My car is nicer then that one."This is incorrect and should be "My car is nicer than that one."I've seen it misused so often that I was beginning to think I was wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Haven't looked through the whole thread so if this has been picked already i apologize.

Is this your Vaaaahicle no its a Vehicle.

p38 wrote: »
    Haven't looked through the whole thread so if this has been picked already i apologize.

Is this your Vaaaahicle no its a Vehicle.

I need audio to make any sense of that. Is your pronunciation either of the standard forms here, or something different which you can explain by phonetics?

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=vehicle&submit=Submit

And yes it has been mentioned before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I am not amazed at the number of people who incorrectly use amount instead of number in the context which you did.

I used to be conceited but now I'm perceft ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

We have a girl in work who misspells in emails a fair bit. Calls people "yous" on the phone as well. Cringeworthy. Anyway, the boss made the decision to enforce spellchecker on EVERYONES email. I can spell quite well thank you. I send quite a few emails a day - pain in the hole to spell check each one and it does feel like I'm being treated like a child. In silent protest I am adding everything to dictionary that my spellchecker picks up, you know the blurb and code in some emails, plus any genuine mistakes. (Always correct them before sending out of course). Im hoping by the end of the year to have rendered my PC's dictionary worthless. We also have a director that uses U instead of you, pls instead of please, thks instead of thanks. In company wide emails. It's very irritating and I'm a bit embarrassed for him.

Texting and IM I abandon all such notions, it's just a quick communication to convey a message or information - I often text phonetically. Where r u. C u 2nite. Etc. don't bat an eyelid. Bothers me not a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

To throw some more into the pot:-

school to rhyme with cruel
    nuptial to rhyme with contractual
    nuclear to rhyme with avuncular
    whore to rhyme with sewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Apologies if this was already posted but many people think that the word "presently" means "at present". It doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

garancafan wrote: »
    nuptial to rhyme with contractual

nuptractual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'm Looking for some advise?
    Ya sure i can advice you...

ratmouse wrote: »
    Apologies if this was already posted but many people think that the word "presently" means "at present". It doesn't.

Did you look it up before you decided that? If you had you would have found that it is not so black and white. In fact the original meaning was Now and the currently more accepeted meaning Soon is a later development. That is just another example of how the language is constantly changing.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/presently

usage: The meaning “now” of presently dates back to the 15th century; it is currently in standard use in all varieties of speech and writing. The sense “soon” arose gradually during the 16th century. Strangely, it is the older sense “now” that usage guides sometimes object to. The two senses are rarely if ever confused. presently meaning “now” is most often used with the present tense (The professor is presently on sabbatical leave) and presently meaning “soon” often with the future tense (The supervisor will be back presently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Did you look it up before you decided that? If you had you would have found that it is not so black and white. In fact the original meaning was Now and the currently more accepeted meaning Soon is a later development. That is just another example of how the language is constantly changing.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/presently

usage: The meaning “now” of presently dates back to the 15th century; it is currently in standard use in all varieties of speech and writing. The sense “soon” arose gradually during the 16th century. Strangely, it is the older sense “now” that usage guides sometimes object to. The two senses are rarely if ever confused. presently meaning “now” is most often used with the present tense (The professor is presently on sabbatical leave) and presently meaning “soon” often with the future tense (The supervisor will be back presently).

I stand corrected so!

Maybe I will have better luck with the following - I know a couple of people who insert the letter H into the word after changing the spelling to "afther".
    Apologies in advance if this too is correct and is an acceptable spelling of said word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

No misspelling or poor use of grammar annoys me. Try hard use of the English language does though.

Such as people using the word 'Moreover..' in an online discussion.

Fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

ye have little to be worried about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    ye have little to be worried about

Moreover, too much much bloody time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mopey

those that cant quite seem to be able to differentiate between the different sounds of the letter, a.

not sure if ignorance or very good troll

ratmouse wrote: »
    ... I know a couple of people who insert the letter H into the word after changing the spelling to "afther".
    Apologies in advance if this too is correct and is an acceptable spelling of said word!
    Whatever about that, I insist upon butther on my baked potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

an historic day

an whatever...

The use of an when it just sounds completely wrong.

This crap the media are throwing at us is fúcking stupid. We don't speak like that you false wánkstain. We live in Ireland and our accent is somewhat different to that of our UK brothers and sisters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Whatever about that, I insist upon butther on my baked potato.

Ireland in with a chance for the Thriple Crown. It hurts my ears.

And when people are thaught something in school....Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

podaydo

This makes the baby jeebers cry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

WHY do some people say 'pundints'
    instead of 'pundits'??

Could not believe my ears when I heard Miriam O'Callaghan at it today!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

British people seem unable to say 'at all'...it comes out as 'at tall'...watch out for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jay D wrote: »
    an historic day

an whatever...

The use of an when it just sounds completely wrong.

This crap the media are throwing at us is fúcking stupid. We don't speak like that you false wánkstain. We live in Ireland and our accent is somewhat different to that of our UK brothers and sisters :)

An is correct as in an hotel or an auction - you either speak correctly or not, the choice is yours.

• Advertisement

British people seem unable to say 'at all'...it comes out as 'at tall'...watch out for it :)
    They can't pronounce "film" either. They always seem to say "film" instead of "fillum".

Jay D wrote: »
    ..This crap the media are throwing at us is fúcking stupid. We don't speak like that you false wánkstain.
    Mispronunciation/poor grammar are infinitely preferable to profanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Mispronunciation/poor grammar are infinitely preferable to profanity.

You can fúck off with that notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

There / Their / They're --- drives me up the wall it does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

An is correct as in an hotel or an auction - you either speak correctly or not, the choice is yours.

If by 'choice', you mean whether one is speaking British English, or American English. Americans drop the 'h' in the non-stressed first syllable of a word. British English does no such thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

An is used rather than a when the following word begins with a vowel. An auction, therefore, is correct, as would be an owl, an idiot, an umbrella, etc, etc. Hotel does not start with a vowel, therefore it is not correct. As you say, you can speak correctly, or not ;)

trashcan wrote: »
    An is used rather than a when the following word begins with a vowel. An auction, therefore, is correct, as would be an owl, an idiot, an umbrella, etc, etc. Hotel does not start with a vowel, therefore it is not correct. As you say, you can speak correctly, or not ;)

Do people ever speak correctly? I heard an MP on Her Majesty's BBC say gonna instead of going to. And I regularly hear people saying 'cos instead of because. The meaning they are trying to convey is clear and that is what matters in speech. Why would it bother you if someone said "I will see you in half an hour" instead of "I will see you in half a hour"? I think you will find that the use of An before certain words beginning with H is regarded as acceptable anyway by a lot of people. You lay down binding laws about language usage at your peril, it is ever changing.

BTW am I wrong to write an MP, should it be a MP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Do people ever speak correctly? I heard an MP on Her Majesty's BBC say gonna instead of going to. And I regularly hear people saying 'cos instead of because. The meaning they are trying to convey is clear and that is what matters in speech. Why would it bother you if someone said "I will see you in half an hour" instead of "I will see you in half a hour"? I think you will find that the use of An before certain words beginning with H is regarded as acceptable anyway by a lot of people. You lay down binding laws about language usage at your peril, it is ever changing.

BTW am I wrong to write an MP, should it be a MP?
    'An' before 'hour' is correct, the 'h' is silent so it has a vowel sound.

'An' before 'hour' is correct, the 'h' is silent so it has a vowel sound.

Trashcan does not agree. For him/her one must never say or write An before any word not beginning with a vowel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Trashcan does not agree. For him/her one must never say or write An before any word not beginning with a vowel.
    Apologies, I should have quoted them.

Advertisement