Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

garancafan wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garancafan View Post
    As a denizen of Templeogue myself, I would be interested to know if that is "are" the plural of "be" or "are" 100 square meters.

The first rhymes with "bar", the second with "bare"

That is what I thought and I was going to respond to the other poster. But I checked the pronunciation in my Chambers dictionary and both are pronounced the same according to that, to rhyme with bar. But there could be more than one accepted pronunciation.

Are, noun. The unit of the metric land measure, 100 sq m. [French from Latin Area, a site, space, court].

Area has an accent over the first A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Er.. Chambers is Scottish.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

I hate people who can't talk proper

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

greenflash wrote: »
    What gets to me is when people misuse a word to make themselves sound more intelligent.

Current in vogue malapropism is 'disinterested' instead of uninterested.

Disinterested means someone has no business in being part of the situation and should not be involved. Uninterested means they simply could not be arsed doing what they're supposed to be doing.

Commonly, footballers are accused of being disinterested in matches they are playing, but that's wrong because they are footballers and supposed to be there. A sea lion balancing a ball on its nose in the middle if the pitch would be a disinterested party.

That and the 99.9% of people in Ireland who say "Can I get..." Instead of "Can I have..," when ordering something (usually a roll or sandwich) in a shop. No you cannot 'get' it because you don't work in the shop. The staff will get it for you, bell ends.

when I was a small boy and asked my mother -can I have a sweet,she would reply-you can but you may not-so now, when I am in a shop I usually say"may I have..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The first photo was taken Manorhamilton, co. Leitrim, in 2006.

The Slevins around Manorhamilton are a bunch of tools anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

But what might annoy me, as an Italian, is the improper use of Italian words in English sentences.
    "Lasagna" is top of the list. We never use that word, because is the singular version of "Lasagne". Everybody always eats more than one lasagna, so the correct term is "lasagne".
    "Bravo" is second in the list, because in English it is used regardless of the of number of persons who receive the approval or their gender.
    There are more, but I don't want to annoy you, after all this thread was intended for English grammar :)
    What I find funny is that it's not even a standard misuse, they're all mixed up!
    Lasagna (fem. sing.)
    Bravo (masc. sing.)
    Barista (fem. sing.)
    Panini (masc. pl.)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

Zaftig. Mae West was Zaftig. "Joan" from Mad Men is zaftig. If you have a waist you might be zaftig. Neither Penelope Cruz after a slice of sacher torte nor Rebel Wilson under any circumstances are zaftig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

mike_ie wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anybody else have any mispronunciation or grammar pet hate that drives them up the wall?

No, nobody else does, you're special. :pac:;)

BNMC wrote: »
    Loose/lose.

I do this all the time even though I know the difference. It seems to be a slightly dyslexic thing.

• Advertisement

I know someone who pronounces 'advertisement' like the is in the middle is pronounced like 'is' as in "Mary is going to the shop". :confused:

RayM wrote: »
    "your such a looser"

I don't understand why so many adults basically have sub-primary school levels of literacy. If you can't tell the difference between 'have' and 'of' you should be ashamed of yourself.

Like I posted above, I often write loose instead of lose and vice versa even though I do know the difference. It's something my brain just seems to get confused on for some reason.

And I try not to get sanctimonious on grammar and spelling like many do because I've never known a grammar correcter who hasn't fúcked up themselves at some stage. Like, never. In fact, the most vocal correcters often get things wrong, I find.

In fact, I've just noticed an enthusiastic poster on this thread make a very basic grammar error in another thread. And this poster has made the mistake twice in one post so it's not a typo. Doesn't matter who it is, just made me smile. :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know someone who pronounces 'advertisement' like the is in the middle is pronounced like 'is' as in "Mary is going to the shop". :confused:

Is he/she on a commit-TEE? They usually go together!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

/now crushing on heidi heidi by dint of her Shaolin Mastery of Joke Fu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Treads about spelling annoy me.

endacl wrote: »
    Treads about spelling annoy me.

This one isn't about spelling.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that. It is one of the accepted standard pronunciations.

Nothing wrong with that. It is one of the accepted standard pronunciations.

See, this is a good example of why many of these annoyances are actually grand, I never knew that was an accepted pronunciation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

don't have a problem with any of it.
    do have a problem with people who find fault in others. no point to it really.

See, this is a good example of why many of these annoyances are actually grand, I never knew that was an accepted pronunciation!

There are certainly hundreds, maybe thousands of words with more than one accepted standard pronunciation. I don't regard it as any sort of annoyance. They regularly make their way on to these sorts of threads (and there have been many of these threads) with some people insisting that their preferred form is the only correct one. Scone anyone?

Even worse in other threads some people tried to insist that other people don't know how to pronounce their own family name e.g. Cahill, Gallagher, by saying only the Irish form is acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I and my parents pronounce digital as digical ,, drives 'herself' mad !
    I Don't think its too bad atall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Always fascinated by the American pronunciation of "nuclear". To me it should be "noo-cle-ar". They tend to say "new-klar".
    The other one is "remuneration" vs "renumeration".

cjmc wrote: »
    I and my parents pronounce digital as digical ,, drives 'herself' mad !
    I Don't think its too bad atall.

Be careful. That word has been copyrighted.

http://www.digical.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Quote:
    Originally Posted by garancafan View Post
    As a denizen of Templeogue myself, I would be interested to know if that is "are" the plural of "be" or "are" 100 square meters.

The first rhymes with "bar", the second with "bare"

Plural of be?:confused:

It's are rhyming with bar - sure you most likely say it that way yourself!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Oh the old 'advertisement' pronunciation debate.:D

I've heard 3 pronunciations of which only 2 are 'accepted'.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/advertisement?q=advertisement

and

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/advertisement?q=advertisement

The other pronunciation is quite close to the standard English pronunciation except the intonation/emphasis is different. Possibly it's what Ann Landers was referring to. I've only ever heard this in rural areas.

Think of the contraction 'tis (short for 'it is') place it between 'adver' and 'ment' putting a small emphasis on the tis syllable.

If this is the pronunciation the you were referring to then yes I find it a bit odd and I've never heard it in any thought/accepted pronunciations.

GUIGuy wrote: »
    Oh the old 'advertisement' pronunciation debate.:D

I've heard 3 pronunciations of which only 2 are 'accepted'.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/advertisement?q=advertisement

and

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/advertisement?q=advertisement

The other pronunciation is quite close to the standard English pronunciation except the intonation/emphasis is different. Possibly it's what Ann Landers was referring to. I've only ever heard this in rural areas.

Think of the contraction 'tis (short for 'it is') place it between 'adver' and 'ment' putting a small emphasis on the tis syllable.

If this is the pronunciation the you were referring to then yes I find it a bit odd and I've never heard it in any thought/accepted pronunciations.

Here is a link with audio for 3 different pronunciations. That doesn't prove anything, people are free to use whatever form they like and other people can regard some of them as being incorrect. However the link does seem to say that the "is" version is standard British English and the "ise" version is American.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=advertisement&submit=Submit

Another mispronunciation is Electra-city. That's common in the north.

Hi, that link is useful but the pronunciation I'm taking about isn't one of those. It's a bit like the British but there's a strong emphasis is on the t is tis. In the standard British pronunciation we draw out the 'ver' a tiny little bit.

Strangely on the remunerate/renumerate debate. Some sites list renumerate as simply a misspelling of remunerate.

To me they were always separate words. Enumerate means to count renumerate means to recount. The distinction is common in software development where you don't want to recount lists needlessly... and enumeration is a specific form of iteration.

Strangely on the remunerate/renumerate debate. Some sites list renumerate as simply a misspelling of remunerate.

To me they were always separate words. Enumerate means to count renumerate means to recount. The distinction is common in software development where you don't want to recount lists needlessly... and enumeration is a specific form of iteration.

According to my Chambers dictionary they are not related. Enumerate comes from the Latin for number, whereas remunerate comes for the Latin for gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Enumerate means to count renumerate means to recount. The distinction is common in software development where you don't want to recount lists needlessly... and enumeration is a specific form of iteration.
    I'd say that would be either re-enumerate or reenumerate. Renumerate is indeed just a (common) misspelling and mispronunciation of remunerate.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I'd say that would be either re-enumerate or reenumerate. Renumerate is indeed just a (common) misspelling and mispronunciation of remunerate.

Also listed under the sense to count in some dictionaries. And it has a long history.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=renumerate&ls=a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

a/ We were sat at the bus stop when it started to rain . . . . .

b/ I was stood in the front row of the gig!

a and b really annoy me, but I guess 'll just have to live with this new form of 'non standard English' :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"I'll revert to you"

No, you ****ing won't. You never were me and clearly our life experience has been markedly different if you've never been introduced to a ****ing dictionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I heard a woman on the RTE news last week talking about the 'Treath' to her way of life, living on a canal barge :))

I have heard heigth (meaning height) before, but its the 1st time I've ever heard treath (meaning threat).

Fascinating.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Bump for UPC's "exTRAWdinary" horizon. Urge to kill rising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I don't know anyone outside my immediate family who pronounces "taught" correctly.

Even my English teacher says "thought".

By far the worst two are "I seen" and "I done". Being incapable of conjugating two of the most common verbs in your first language is generally a good indication you're an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

LordSutch wrote: »

a and b really annoy me, but I guess 'll just have to live with this new form of 'non standard English' :cool:

I hate it too. It's slowly setting in here and becoming the norm. Everyone watching those brain rot English soaps, the worst one them being Eastenders, where non of them can speak properly innit. Phew Mitchew

Bump for UPC's "exTRAWdinary" horizon. Urge to kill rising.

Hate that smug pretty boy.
    Oh and that "fibre powered broadbandge" with Yvonne from Fair City doing the voiceover.
    Try saying "fibre powerered broadband" fast five times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

People saying "should have went" instead of "should have gone".
    You even hear it on the radio.

• Advertisement

I've seen in several chippers.....

batter sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

mrpdap wrote: »
    People saying "should have went" instead of "should have gone".
    You even hear it on the radio.

How about writing "should of went"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

LordSutch wrote: »

Our walking-tour guide realised we had no rain-gear so we were sat at the bus stop when it started to rain.

The usher saw that my seat gave a poor view and I appreciated his kindness when I was stood in the front row of the gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I learned to use "to" as a relative preposition e.g. "relative to", "different to", so it bugs me when I see people saying things like "my hair is different than yours" or "they are different from each other". I always say "different to" in such cases.

I've tried looking this up, and online sources including Oxford Dictionaries seem to indicate that they're all OK. But I still feel that "from" or "than" don't go after "different". "Larger than" or "derived from" is fine, but not "different than" or "different from".

PS: it annoys me when folks talk about e.g. "the adds on TV". There's only one "d" in "advertisement", so there's only one "d" in its contraction: "ads".

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"I seen". Jesus. There's a full stop there so this isn't a religious vision.

It's not just an Irish thing either. I've read it on UK and US forums as well.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Our walking-tour guide realised we had no rain-gear so we were sat at the bus stop when it started to rain.

The usher saw that my seat gave a poor view and I appreciated his kindness when I was stood in the front row of the gig.

This is grammatically correct, and fair play for realising that, but the vast majority of people aren't using it like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Our walking-tour guide realised we had no rain-gear so we were seated at the bus stop when it started to rain.

There's a difference between "to sit" and "to seat".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

'Could of.'

Maybe when you hear people saying it they're trying to say could've?

mike_ie wrote: »
    "pacific" for "specific", (as in "How long will it take to fix this pacific problem?").

Blame the Donegal Catch ad ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Maybe when you hear people saying it they're trying to say could've?

Yeah, there have been a few mentioned so far that could be written off to local accent or pronunciation (unless seen written down of course) - taught/thought, could of/could've etc....

Oooh affect & effect, very irritating!

• Advertisement
Advertisement