Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-employed in Ireland with branch in UK?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am self-employed (sole trader) in Ireland selling stuff on eBay. Just wondering if it's possible and legal to get someone in UK to post my stuff. I can send to my sister some goods and she can post it locally. Any idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Why do you think there could be a problem? Will she be mailing anything illegal? You are ultimately responsible if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maniootek

Do I need to hire her and issuing payslips and making payments for her? What could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

maniootek wrote: »
    Do I need to hire her and issuing payslips and making payments for her? What could go wrong?
    As opposed to employing her she could be a contractor and then just invoice you every month/week. She would have to sort out tax at her end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You may be creating a permanent establishment in the Uk which could have UK tax implications.

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

maniootek wrote: »

Gloomtastic’s suggestion is the way to go if what you are running is a small operation. I’m assuming that there is nothing in eBay’s Ts & Cs that does not prohibit this. You should agree a per item postage rate with her – e.g. up to X items per week £aa, between X and Y per week £bb, over Y £cc. You should tie down in a simple written agreement what is expected to be performed when, how and by whom. You also need to consider credit terms, and how to handle disputes with and returns from buyers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Gloomtastic’s suggestion is the way to go if what you are running is a small operation. I’m assuming that there is nothing in eBay’s Ts & Cs that does not prohibit this. You should agree a per item postage rate with her – e.g. up to X items per week £aa, between X and Y per week £bb, over Y £cc. You should tie down in a simple written agreement what is expected to be performed when, how and by whom. You also need to consider credit terms, and how to handle disputes with and returns from buyers..

And that she sorts out her own tax liabilities! :P

Advertisement