Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie solo traveller - 2 weeks - ideas needed

• 24-03-2014 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

So I'm really hoping that some of you can help me with some ideas for a solo holiday based on your experiences.

I'm in my mid to late 20s, and am pure sick of trying to fit friends into my holiday plans (trying too hard to suit people usually ends up in nothing being sorted) so I'm hoping to just go away myself somewhere for a shortish break.
    Ideally I'd like to go away for a couple of weeks, so that probably rules out Asia/nz/oz etc but I'm looking to go somewhere with a decent backpacker scene (ie. lone traveler friendly).

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated - hoping to get something booked in the next month or so!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

South East Asia seems to be the default answer for this kind of question. I've been to Thailand and very much recommend it, its got a good backpacker scene and it quite reasonable price wise. There might be better options in SEA though, have you any specific interests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

I've been to Thailand (albeit with a group) so I'd probably prefer to tick a few different places off the list.

To be honest, my interests on this sort of holiday would probably be to see some new interesting places, meet some interesting people and consume a fair bit of alcohol while doing it - preferably not on my own!

I'm not a massive sun/sea person so they wouldn't be a necessity. Would anywhere in Europe/the Americas fit the bill? From what I hear, neither seem suited to lone travelling??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Pyrenees? Taxing treks, depending on whether you're on the French or Spanish side you can have it as rainy/sunny as you want. The routes are well-known to travellers but fairly unused, so at different times of the year you could wander a few days without finding someone yet still not be too isolated either. Wonderful introspective scenes to be seen too, from my experience (mostly French side I'm afraid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I can relate to your conundrum of trying to fit around friends schedules etc., I love to travel but until recently I was always dependent on friends (don't get me wrong, holidaying with friends is great craic but can be a lot more effort logistically). Decided to start doing some lone traveling this year (just the one solo trip so far but more coming up). Have been sticking with Europe so far (for money reasons) but it's been great. Might not be all that adventurous compared to somewhere further afield but I highly recommend it (obviously it depends on how much of Europe you've seen as well).

With 2 weeks you could maybe do a mini inter-railing trip? Most of the major European cities seem to have a great hostel/traveler scene making it easy to find friends and people to hang out with. Just stick with the smaller highly rated hostels and you can't really go wrong I reckon. Perhaps Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest? Have been to 3 of these cities (all but Prague) and can highly recommend them all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro is a good place for solo travellers. I remember people talking about hostels in Bosnia that had great day trips. I think the main one they spoke of was in Mostar. With day trips you get to meet other travellers who you can then hang out with for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Granada, Seville, Malaga, Cordoba, Cadiz, basically anywhere in southern Spain. Good hostels, excellent public transport, tons of history, quality nightlife and cheap as chips. Great weather is a bonus.

Advertisement