Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a friend out with picking a breed

• 24-03-2014 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

My friend has asked me to post on her behalf
    She is currently without internet connection so cant ask herself for the time being

Her and her family (2 adults 4 kids ) are keen to add a dog to their family.They already have a pony ducks chickens and cats .

They have a very large enclosed garden-thing is this they are a very lazy family ,as in not a very active family.Like lots of lie ins ,lounging around of an evening in front of the fire/tv. As i said they have a very large garden which they do spend a large amount of time in as they are self sufficiant but they wouldnt really be people to take a dog for a walk everyday .The kids would be outdoors a lot and would play with the dog .She has asked if there is such a dog that would fit in with her family ?

I have heard that greyhounds are lazy as are some large breed dogs ?I wouldnt have a clue personally so i said id ask her to get more info and constructive tips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

A greyhound that can live with cats and could possibly suit this family. However, Greyhounds need to be housed indoors and Im not sure from your post where the family intend the dog to be an indoor or outdoor dog.

While Greys are couch potatoes the do enjoy their walks but they don't need to be long treks a couple of 20 mins strolls will keep them happy.

if interested in a grey have a look at the Greyhound Rescue Association of Ireland (GRAI) for short to find a list of rescues that are affiliated to it and for more info on greys.

Another option if they like smaller dogs is a king Charles cavalier . Again though all dogs do enjoy and need for mental stimulation a walk. I once head it described as the best part of the dogs day and when you think of it like that its hard to refuse a dog a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I am fostering the most chilled out Jack russell at the minute, gets on great with dogs, cats and isn't fazed by birds either. Got petted by a few kids yesterday in the park and didn't bat an eyelid. He's 6 years old and such a sweet fella with low to medium exercise requirements,which is surprising for a Jack.

My advice, if you want to adopt a rescue is to contact a few of your local rescues or PM me and I'll let you know which one this fella is with. They'll match a dog to the family's needs and take the guess work out of it for them by doing a home visit and assessing what would be best for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP If they are SELF SUFFICIENT, I would definately NOT say they are lazy - food growing is the hardest work!
    Will the dog be an INDOORS dog - this would make a difference to recommendations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

My friend has asked me to post on her behalf
    She is currently without internet connection so cant ask herself for the time being

Her and her family (2 adults 4 kids ) are keen to add a dog to their family.They already have a pony ducks chickens and cats .

They have a very large enclosed garden-thing is this they are a very lazy family ,as in not a very active family.Like lots of lie ins ,lounging around of an evening in front of the fire/tv. As i said they have a very large garden which they do spend a large amount of time in as they are self sufficiant but they wouldnt really be people to take a dog for a walk everyday .The kids would be outdoors a lot and would play with the dog .She has asked if there is such a dog that would fit in with her family ?

I have heard that greyhounds are lazy as are some large breed dogs ?I wouldnt have a clue personally so i said id ask her to get more info and constructive tips

I'd recommend a Labrador. Great with kids and a good family dog. They are also superb with other animals. My two let the cat sit on top of them.

To be honest, if the family are out in the garden alot, the dog should get plenty of exercise without needing a "formal-style" walk every day. My own two Labradors, for example, get plenty of exercise some days just chasing an old O'Neills ball that my son and I kick down the back garden for them to chase and retrieve.

You describe the family as "lazy" but it sounds to me that they one thing they can provide is plenty of interaction which is what a dog needs more than an exercise routine IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Hi thank u all for the tips and advice so far -apologies on the delay in replying .I have shown my friend the thread and she laughed at me for calling them lazy(they feckin are !!)

The dog would be sleeping indoors

They looked down the rescue route ,but have the idea of a pup in their heads .Ive told them that the puppy years can be pretty full on and sometimes hard but they are willing to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I can't link specific rescue organisations but I know that one that I follow on Facebook has puppies so I'm sure others do too. I wouldn't let that rule out the idea of a pup.
    (For me all the work would rule out a pup!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP fair play to you! It can be so frustrating giving advice to people who won't listen. It's my constant frustration IRL.

Terrible analogy but "You can lead a horse to water....." etc etc

Advertisement