Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap housing (sharing excluded)?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey everyone.
    I'm moving to Waterford very soon. In fact, I have to be in Waterford by the 31st of this month to start an internship.
    I've been looking for housing as close as possible to the WIT/Industrial Estate, but it seems like everything I find is student accomodation. I would be willing to go as high as €400/€450 per month for a studio or a 1-bedroom house really close to the Industrial Estate, so that I could walk to and from work every day, but housing further away from the Estate would also be okay as long as it was close to the bus route and cheaper (to compensate for the €60 I'll have to spend on the monthly bus pass).

Thing is, online it's quite hard to find what I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice. I plan on driving around the city this week for a full day to try and find something, but it would be much better if I went in with a plan.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Waterford isn't that big. If you had a bike you could cycle to the Ind Est from anywhere in the city in 20mins max.

I'm not sure if you'd get your own place for lower than 400 anywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Something like http://www.daft.ie/21417956 ?
    Unsure if http://www.daft.ie/21430678 is per room, or €450 for the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

the_syco wrote: »
    Unsure if http://www.daft.ie/21430678 is per room, or €450 for the lot.

It is for the lot, but if that place was 2e per month most sane people still wouldn't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rudi Montes

I had checked those, but they seem a bit too far away. I just found this, though:
    http://www.taxsaver.ie/Global/Ticket%20Images/Waterford_City_Network.pdf

And I can probably get anything along the green or orange line and I'll be fine. This actually broadened my search quite a bit, I should be able to find something that's in budget now that I have a couple more options. I guess I could stretch my budget to €90/€100 per week + monthly bus pass (I think it's €57, right?). Means around €105-€115 per week just for accommodation + bus, but besides internet, electricity and food (and I know how to live on a food budget) I don't have much expense anyways.

The bike idea sounds great, but I'm a terrible biker. I learned how to ride a bike for the first time when I was like... 17. Haven't done it too often since then, I'm 99% sure I'd kill myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd recommend you look along the Pink line, there are a few 2 and three bedroom houses along there that might be suitable, ie no garden, not so much appeal for families.

Grace Dieu and Carrickpherish could be good too.

I know you said no sharing, but would you consider digs? Might be a cheaper option for a while until you get settled in. A good fewplaces do digs in the area as it is near the FAS campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CuriousG wrote: »
    It is for the lot, but if that place was 2e per month most sane people still wouldn't live there.
    Not a local, so wouldn't know. But if the OP doesn't want to share, their options may be limited location wise.

Would the Strawberry Hill complex be any good? http://www.daft.ie/21414935 €465, but as it's on the market for nearly two months, the OP may be able to haggle it down to €450 or so?

=-=

Regarding the "per week" properties - keep in mind the 5 week months; this may screw with your food budget a bit :(

I wanted to minimize bus rides, that's why I thought only about green and yellow routes. Been riding buses all my life, hah, never went to school close to home, so 1 bus ride per trip is enough for me.

If no other option presents itself, I'll have to stay a couple of weeks in a shared house, but it's definitely not an option long-term. I found a nice 1-bed house for €100/week. Spacious, too (http://www.daft.ie/21425234). There are more around that range, and I'm sure that there are some unlisted ones as well. Driving around the city or going to some agencies should help me with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Something like this would not be too bad. City centre with 3 mins walk to a bus stop and you'd walk to the Wit in about 30 mins on a sunny day. Not the most beautiful part of town but safe enough and a bit of character.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/the-glen-waterford-city-waterford/1416758/

That looks lovely as well, gregg. I'm not too concerned with looks, I'm a very "at home" guy. There's more stuff available than I first thought, I'm sure I'll find something. Then all I have to do is survive the first couple of days/weeks until I get internet access and I'm all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ah yea, once you get in a bag of cans from Aldi across the road and bang on some tunes it really won't matter where you are :P

Free Internet in a number of places like the library while you get going.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow's the big day. I've secured a house.

I wanted to ask something else, though. I've checked online and it seems like the best broadband deal I can get is UPC's (phone + 50Mb unlimited BB for €25 during 6 months), and I'll want it ASAP. The house I'm moving to is along the main road (Manor road), so I'm assuming UPC covers that area? Let's say I call them tomorrow, how long do you think it would take them to get everything up and running? I'll probably get a USB memory dongle thing to keep me on Skype and browsing for a few days, but we all know that for certain stuff you need the unlimited traffic with the high speed connections.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ring them tomorrow and you should be up and running by Tuesday or Wednesday. Regarding the length of contract, don't they expect people to sign 12 month contracts thou?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ring them tomorrow and you should be up and running by Tuesday or Wednesday. Regarding the length of contract, don't they expect people to sign 12 month contracts thou?

Yeah with UPC it is and if you finish up before 12 months there's a 200 or 250euro penalty.

Advertisement