Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager Training

• 24-03-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi there experts,

We have a 15 year old who wants to start strength and conditioning training in a gym. We are in D8/ D6 area. He's a top soccer player and in good condition, but like most of his mates is getting obsessed by how he looks. My question- what age can you start to start lifting weights and best gyms in D8/ D6.

Many thanks for any advice,

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

http://www.protraineronline.com/exercise/strength-training-for-childrena-review-of-research-literature/ A short literature review of the research on weight training (not body weight) on children as young as eight, all positive and beneficial. This would suggest that your 15 year old would be safe enough to start now. I would keep training explosively based for athletic performance. Think power but not powerlifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

I am not in your neck of the woods, so don't know whats around, but this place seems pretty decent..

http://www.d8fitness.com/

At that age, I would try to discourage jumping into lifting anything too heavy.
    No, I'm not against teenagers lifting heavy (ish), but it has to be a progressive thing
    Softly softly and build up.
    Get someone to show him the correct technique for key lifts (Bench, Squat, Front Squat, Deadlift, Clean or High Pulls etc)
    Start light and build up gradually...and get him to track it

Kettlebells are a fantastic conditioning tool

Stay away from machines as much as possible...

Advertisement