Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooley Legends Half Marathon

Options
  • 24-03-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Has anyone done the Cooley Legends Half Marathon?

Is it a tough as it sounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah did it last year and year before and id be doing it again this year but date doesnt suit..
    its tough but its not insane tough.. theres 2 hard climbs in it, 1 really long one and 1 not so long.. im by no means super fit like some here but i could jog slowly up both last year , the first time i had to walk / shuffle the second climb.. theres 2 lovely long descents too , i think i was about 15 minutes slower than my half marathon pb if that gives any indication..
    its probably my favourite run, and im gutted to be missing it .. id highly reccomend it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Buenavista

Thanks for the advice I will give it a go. Looks like a good challenge.

Hope I don't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

What date is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Buenavista

`19th APRIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Going to run this. For anyone who has run it before: I take it the only potential boggy section is the open mountain at the top of the first climb and start of the first descent? I think the descents are pretty grassy/ not too rocky and technical?
    Thanks and best of luck!

• Advertisement

the only soft sections are on the open mountain, in previous years it was possible to run around / pick a way through but a lot of it is actually solid enough..
    no technical descending ..all grass.. first descent is straight down , second one is more across the slope for a while but still grand

woody1 wrote: »
    the only soft sections are on the open mountain, in previous years it was possible to run around / pick a way through but a lot of it is actually solid enough..
    no technical descending ..all grass.. first descent is straight down , second one is more across the slope for a while but still grand

That's grand, thanks a million for the info.. Road runners so! Im staying Friday night so might have a potter up to the open mountain section (from the descent side: Glenmore) and see if ill be wearing my shiny new runners or old ones!
    Weather has been fairly dry, with only a passing shower predicted tomorrow before Saturday so the going should be good. Race Director described it as soft to firm last week.

One more question. The race description describes the last 2 k as on flat tarmac. The GPS of the route on the site indicates that that 2k is nearly all descent bar the last few hundred metres. Is that The case?
    I think he may have meant "smooth" tarmac rather than "flat".

yeah he means smooth definitely not flat.. a lot of it fairly steep downhill .. youl see when you go for a walk on friday..

Youre quick off the mark! Thanks again!

I'm familiar with all the pieces of the course now, thanks to yourself, just needed to put them all together. I spend weekends there a bit so familiar enough with the hills and roads just unsure as to the exact route. With the tarmac I was pretty sure it finished pretty soon after the return to sea level. Ive done the Slieve Foye IMRA mountain race and the descent from Goylan pass on must be pretty identical. Fast and furious from Goylan pass to the line so, That steep tarmac will be a real sole burner.
    Ive done a run or two across the ridge on the open mountain after the first climb. I remember a few steep little climbs and a Cairn or two. Judging from the route map we may hit one of this cairns/hillocks as the highest point.
    Just saw above youre not running....youll be back for it next year I guess?

im sickened not to be running..had a relations party last week up there and im up again next weekend, couldnt justify the 3 weekends away from home..

yeah all going well il be there next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Nappy.rt

Did the half marathon on April 19 2014 ,scenery was unreal ,organisers very friendly ,but very disappointed that there was no medal or t-shirt at finish since it cost 35 euro I think to enter

Nappy.rt wrote: »
    Did the half marathon on April 19 2014 ,scenery was unreal ,organisers very friendly ,but very disappointed that there was no medal or t-shirt at finish since it cost 35 euro I think to enter

I think every entrant got a "buff". Its just a matter of personal taste but I think a buff is far more useful than a medal or a T-Shirt for any kind of running/training and particularly for the off road kind.
    It can be a nice sense of achievement to get a medal for completion or something of that sort but I think the organisers have to choose one item and I think the buff was the right choice for most people IMO.

The organisation was excellent. Most importantly the comprehensive safety element was very impressive. With an ambulance, several mobile mountain biking stewarts who clearly knew their stuff, drink stations in the right places including fruit and coke as well as water.

When they said any extra money raised was going to charity I would believe that 100%.
    That's the only race where I think i've got real filtered coffee from out the back door of a café (4 cups) and the spread of café sambos, fruit, coke etc was unending.

I don't know how many races you've run, but there are a few high profile half marathons in the West of Ireland at double the price that this race would put to shame.

Add to that a very beautiful, tough but doable course in one of Irelands most scenic peninsulas and its a package that hard to beat. I'm not related to the organiser or anything, but I must say it makes a massive difference when a dedicated runner/sportsperson is doing the organising

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nappy.rt

Your probably right , i was not trying to knock it in anyway as i said organiser were great and for scenery alone its worth it,Just thought a medal would be nice but maybe thats Just me

i like the buffs, think their handy, after a while you get to have too many t-shirts and medals..
    great result t-runner.. presume you enjoyed it..

woody1 wrote: »
    i like the buffs, think their handy, after a while you get to have too many t-shirts and medals..
    great result t-runner.. presume you enjoyed it..

Thks Woody, I did indeed.

Report HERE

Advertisement