Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche clothes

Options
  • 24-03-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Is it true that baby's clothes get wrecked on creche? My babs won't need minding till he is 8 months (hopefully with a childminder but he might end up going to creche). He got some dunnes tracksuits which I was going to exchange for babygrows and vests but maybe I am best to keep them if his nice pumpkin patch and next stuff will get wrecked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

None of my daughter's clothes have been wrecked in creche, and I don't know of anyone who has expereinced anything like that either.
    I've no idea why they would get ruined anyway. Especially at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Xdancer wrote: »
    None of my daughter's clothes have been wrecked in creche, and I don't know of anyone who has expereinced anything like that either.
    I've no idea why they would get ruined anyway. Especially at that age.

I know I thought it was bizarre! I was googling crèches and a thread from boards came up and other threads from uk forums where they talked about having two sets of clothes "creche" clothes and "home" clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I've never heard of anything like that happening ... I'd be asking very serious questions to the creche if it happened, how would their clothes get wrecked? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Actually in our creche from 1 year on they have a little 'uniform'. It's just a little smock with the creches logo on it, but even that comes out spotless everyday after painting and planting seeds etc.

My nieces and nephews don't have separate creche clothes either :)

I've never heard of anything like that happening ... I'd be asking very serious questions to the creche if it happened, how would their clothes get wrecked? :confused:

From crawling on the ground. They have rubber safety mats? The clothes in question are 9-12 months! Seriously google "creche clothes". And another thing they say is to label everything as you might get wrong hoody etc back. And according to another thread on boards "being fed" wrecks them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

At 8 months it shouldn't be a problem but as kids get older a good crèche or preschool should be offering children the opportunity to paint, play with sand and water or Playdough etc. There should also be outdoor play every day weather permitting. While I wouldn't say clothes get wrecked as aprons are normally worn but kids are kids and they always manage to get covered in paint and that's half the fun (in my opinion) ... When I was starting out in Childcare I was doing work experience in a preschool and one if my tasks was to do an art activity with the group. I did bubble painting which the children loved but there was one child who was wearing a beautiful white frilly dress and I was having panic attacks trying to keep the paint off her dress. It didn't work and her dress ended up with pink spots. The parents didn't mind thankfully, they knew the preschool advised old/not 'good' clothes. So clothes that you would consider to be nice or for occasions are probably not best for crèche, if you want your child to get involved in messy play activities that are brilliant for overall development.

Xdancer wrote: »
    Actually in our creche from 1 year on they have a little 'uniform'. It's just a little smock with the creches logo on it, but even that comes out spotless everyday after painting and planting seeds etc.

My nieces and nephews don't have separate creche clothes either :)

I will exchange them so as the amount of clothes has I need an extension lol :) and toes and fingers crossed I will find a childminder till may!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Millem wrote: »
    From crawling on the ground. They have rubber safety mats? The clothes in question are 9-12 months! Seriously google "creche clothes". And another thing they say is to label everything as you might get wrong hoody etc back. And according to another thread on boards "being fed" wrecks them!

If they're crawling in creche then surely they're crawling at home too? My boys have gone through the knees of some light Summer pants when they were crawling but that's only a few short months til they walk and it's not creche related.

Likewise jumpers sometimes get dirty/stained when they're feeding themselves under the age of 1 but if anything creche are a bit more diligent than mammy is about putting on full bibs for toddlers self-feeding messy food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've got my second baby in crèche now and I don't bother with having crèche and non crèche clothes. I also heard this before my son started so I kept the nice stuff for weekends and then he grew out of them without wearing them much.

His clothes weren't wrecked apart from the odd thing but that can happen at home too. They rarely come home from crèche in very dirty clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I've got my second baby in crèche now and I don't bother with having crèche and non crèche clothes. I also heard this before my son started so I kept the nice stuff for weekends and then he grew out of them without wearing them much.

His clothes weren't wrecked apart from the odd thing but that can happen at home too. They rarely come home from crèche in very dirty clothes.

I did the exact same and my son barely wore his 'good' clothes as a result. I now send him into crèche in whatever I pull out of the drawer first. I do find that his clothes can be dirty coming in as he sometimes smudges his food into his clothes but I don't mind that at all, he's just exploring his food :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My 2 year old comes home from crèche with extensive art work and she's cleaner than she would have been if I was minding her all day! Don't know how they do it!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I know of a few creches that asked parents to stop sending kids in in designer clothes and asked for more practical every day clothes for playing but they were extreme cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My daughter does come home from creche with muddy clothes a good bit, but it's because we chose a creche with an outdoors area. None of the stuff has been wrecked though. A wash sorts it. Bar shoes I suppose, she wears through shoe-leather very fast, but I'd feel bad sending her out wearing cheapo shoes in case they were bad for her feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

whilst I don't have a separate set of creche clothes. I don't send him in anything good. The very odd time if he's needed a change of clothes the creche have put him in some one else's stuff so I'd expect our lad's stuff ends up on some one else too so I wouldn't have them responsible for losing something good. We have to have something good for Nana and Grandad visits at the weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As everyone else said, no!
    Stuff might get dirty, our 2 year old would sometimes get 2 days out of a top, but feeding himself he gets dirty sometimes.
    They get no dirtier than they'll get at home imho. And from what I can see, unless you have some hand me down clothes, pretty much no clothes will get worn out before your baby can grow out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My little mans clothes are often in a worst state after a day at home with me then when he comes home from creche!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Gee_G wrote: »
    My little mans clothes are often in a worst state after a day at home with me then when he comes home from creche!:)

+1 on this:)

Advertisement