Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest first-time insurance on 1.6 (19 yr old)

Options
  • 24-03-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello everyone, I am looking to get a car soon (I have the full Irish driving license) and really looking for a 1.6 as my first car (Audi A4, A3, Passat etc). I would like to know where would I find the cheapest insurance for myself? (I'm a student) And is there much difference between insuring a 1.9 tdi and 1.6 petrol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You need to ring around and talk to different insurers and brokers, because its different for everyone. I wouldnt be holding my breath however on getting a decent quote on cars like that at 19; youll most likely end up paying through the nose for insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Good look getting a reasonable quote on any VW/Audi at your age. They're seen as a bit of a higher risk since the Honda civic brigade has moved to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TechoPL

Max which I am willing to pay, is 2500. I am a resposible driver, I dont mess around on the roads, I just want a good car to start with at the beginning. I dont want a Honda anyway, even tough they are very good performance cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

TechoPL wrote: »
    Max which I am willing to pay, is 2500. I am a resposible driver, I dont mess around on the roads, I just want a good car to start with at the beginning. I dont want a Honda anyway, even tough they are very good performance cars.

Yep, unfortunately they don't take any of that into consideration and the mad guys behaviour will determine your premium :-( .

You'd be better advised to find small engine car to start with, build up a couple of years no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The problem is that you've so many gob****es driving round in slammed ventos/passats/A4s that insurance companies have copped on and are charging extortionate premiums for those cars.

Its less to do with the car (the 1.6 is slower than most cars in its class), more to do with the demographic driving it.

• Advertisement

That is what I hear all the time ;) I just want that pleasure of driving a bigger car. Would you think any insurance would fit me in the 2500 euro range for an A4 1.6 or Passat? What about the Volvo S40 1.6?

You may well get a quote for around €2500 for those cars, especially with a full license, but it would only be second guessing on our part. The only way for you to know for sure is to ring around and get some quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If you have a budget of up to €2500 for insurance you will have no problem getting a quote within that premium with most insurers as you have a full licence.

Best bet is a brokers and perhaps FBD, they offer a really good policy and will likely be well within your price range.

Even with those cars mentioned above id be surprised if you don't get it for less than 2k from a couple of sources at least.

What about 1.9tdi? Is there much difference in the insurance between 1.6? I have the Skoda Superb on my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only ones who can answer this are insurance companies. Insurance is too dependent on personal circumstances as well as the car being insured for anyone here to offer anything but a guess. Have you got any quotes yet?

• Advertisement

I have been getting quotes online of FBD and chill.ie, they give me around 2300 for third party. I want to ring AVIVA as I made my license with them, maybe it would be cheaper?

Online quotes generally arent worth a toss. Ring them up and Id be surprised if you dont get better quotes over the phone.

Does anyone know what the story is with 2.0 petrol for that insurance? And to be specific with the car - Volvo S60 2.0 T or the BMW 520 anyone know how much AROUND I would be paying for this? Is it worth it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Have a look on FBD. I'm getting quotes of ~1700 on a 530i/d with 3 years named driving. FBD seem to be very very good for young drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IF you are a 1st time driver, it will probably be wise to try a 1.0 engine for a few years to get your NCB up and that might help you graduate on to bigger engine cars, proving you are a safe driver.

Have a look on FBD. I'm getting quotes of ~1700 on a 530i/d with 3 years named driving. FBD seem to be very very good for young drivers.

Would you think they would fit me in 2500 range if Its my first time insurance?

NIMAN wrote: »
    IF you are a 1st time driver, it will probably be wise to try a 1.0 engine for a few years to get your NCB up and that might help you graduate on to bigger engine cars, proving you are a safe driver.

Thing is I really dont want that small car. I rather Pay 2500 and have a bigger car

I'd say they would. Give the Web quote a quick check or better yet, call them.

You really have to ring them or try their online quoting system; there is no point in asking on here what people think they will quote because it will be different for everyone and nobody knows what they will quote you.

FWIW I would have thought you will have a lot of trouble getting insured on a 520, but cant hurt to try!

ISn't there an insurance deal you can get where they wire up some monitor to your car to make sure you are a careful driver, and you get reduced premiums?

Can't remember who was offering that deal?

• Advertisement

That seems interesting, if you will remember can you get back to me with it, thanks :)

You think I would get insured easier on a Volvo S60 2.0T?

At 19??? I'd say no!

You think I would get insured easier on a Volvo S60 2.0T?

Im not sure that Id be holding my breath about getting either insured at your age to be honest, but like I said it cant hurt to ring around and see what kind of response you get.

I will ring some, I just dont like when they get every detail from me because later on they ring me and waste my time asking if Im interested in that deal etc.. Thats why I wanted to ask a few people. You say FBD will be my best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

In reality you wont know until you key in details to quote websites . try a few different cars and see.

When I was 18 and had no ncb I was paying 1600 on a 2.5t Kia Sorento 4x4 . That was with quinn in those days.

I understand why you dont want to drive a cramped hatchback, didnt appeal to me either. The advice id give you is try some of the online brokers first and see if theyll quote you online on anything, provided you get any price out of an online calculator and it doesnt just say 'we cannot quote online' then keep that car in mind and call a few brokers with its details.

In terms of choice of cars I can allready tell you that Audi A3/A4/A6 , 3 series BMW , Passat, Jetta and anything made by honda or mitsubishi are not going to be friendly with your quotes due to the less than decent individuals under 25 who've taken an interest in those cars.

the volvo s40 , s60 , avensis , nissan primera , saab 9-3 may be options for you.

I will ring some, I just dont like when they get every detail from me because later on they ring me and waste my time asking if Im interested in that deal etc.. Thats why I wanted to ask a few people. You say FBD will be my best bet?

FBD were the only ones who'd quote me on my own policy on anything reasonably powerful.

Thanks, Thats what I will do, ask them for quotes on the S60. Would the Mercedes C180 Kompressor be friendly with the insurance you think?

I had a quick search and can't find any company that offers a black box attached to lower your insurance. Perhaps someone else on here will have more info.

As a 19yr old, I have to say that your choice of cars seems very ambitious. I know you don't want to face reality, but going for 2 litre Volvo's, Merc's, Audi's etc ain't going to be pretty when you get the price for insurance I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thanks, Thats what I will do, ask them for quotes on the S60. Would the Mercedes C180 Kompressor be friendly with the insurance you think?

forgot to include that one in the no chance list , by all means try it but I think anything rwd is just going to be a no.

Advertisement