Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest first-time insurance on 1.6 (19 yr old)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bigger car; 1.6 Avensis/Primara or a 1.8 Maza 626?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't mean to sound cruel OP, but I'm getting the image of a young guy who wants to be seen cruising in a big powerful car rather than being sensible and driving a small engined one until you get experience.

If thats true, then you fit the bill of the person that causes the insurance companies to charge super high premiums.

Perhaps you need to get a little more realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Just threw in some details to try and get quoted on a 2.0T S40 and a 520i at 19 with no driving experience on a full licence. They wouldn't quote me. Looks like you need to be 20 for reasonable quotes from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TechoPL

Yes I have big expectation from a car as it will be something important in my life. I just hope the Volvo will fit in the 2500 range. I will propably ring them later on. I saw AXA has something like an insurance for students? Does anyone know what is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats what I mean, to boy racers their car is very important. So if you ring looking for a quote for a 2.0 Merc or Volvo, you'll be assumed to be a boy racer. Might not be fair but thats how it'll be seen.

When I passed my test I drove a 1.1 Fiesta for a few years, then bought a 2.0 MR2.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats what I mean, to boy racers their car is very important. So if you ring looking for a quote for a 2.0 Merc or Volvo, you'll be assumed to be a boy racer. Might not be fair but thats how it'll be seen.

When I passed my test I drove a 1.1 Fiesta for a few years, then bought a 2.0 MR2.

I found it to be the opposite. I'm 19 too and I've been getting decent quotes on Exec Saloons up to 3.0. I've found that it's way more based on the car now due to the loading on them. While I've gotten decent quotes on those cars, they won't even quote me on a 1.4 Civic.

I dont see myself driving a 1.2 Corsa. I will pay that big amount and I know I will be satisfied from the car and will have pleasure driving it. I also am looking forward to work on that car too. I have been driving cars since I was 10, and got learned lot of tips off mechanics about every day driving that 75 % people dont do themselves. I dont want anyone to think Im a young stupid fella that wants to show off with the big car to the lads, its for my own pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 andmc

Surprised there isn't licence limitations on young people e.g Can't drive over 1.4 before age of 21 etc.

andmc wrote: »
    Surprised there isn't licence limitations on young people e.g Can't drive over 1.4 before age of 21 etc.

That wouldn't make any sense.

It's there for motorcycle licencing why not cars?

• Advertisement

Is there actually this kind of limit on any country in Europe???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It would if we had an insurance class system like in the UK, so instead of basing it on engine size, you would have an increasing step system based on insurance class. Its not a bad idea tbh, although it would not go down well!

Because more people die driving motorcycles. These people have no imagination while driving a bike. A bike is simply more dangorous than a car. I was quoted 7500 on a 250cc bike which is learners legal...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I would not agree with that.
    Large cars are generally safer than tin boxes.

I'm detecting jealously in this thread from a number of posters.

I'm certainly not advocating it but it seems like something the RSA would do to bring in further revenue with further licence categories etc.

It's there for motorcycle licencing why not cars?

Motorbikes are a whole different kettle of fish in comparison to cars. Cars are a hell of a lot safer than a bike and being under 21 does not automatically mean you are an inexperienced driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I'm 22 and I'm sure I've undertaken more driving than many older people on this thread.

I drive between 30,000 - 40,000 miles per year in multiple vehicles. (4x4s, Vans, Cars).

I've also driven across Europe and also multiple locations in Thailand.
    Age is only a number.

Insurance companies seem to consider drivers of 21 or younger enough of a risk with some of the quotes they give. I'm 21 by the way so certainly not anti young drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theanswers wrote: »
    Age is only a number.

Age is only a number but experience is more than that. You wouldnt be tying any limits to age; you would be saying that for the learners and for the first year after passing the test you can only drive a car up to class X, for the next two years you can drive up to class Y etc.

Its not a popular view Im sure but I see no issues with this system. Far too many young/inexperienced drivers in this country over the years driving cars that are far beyond their ability and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Motorbikes are a whole different kettle of fish in comparison to cars. Cars are a hell of a lot safer than a bike...

All depends who's driving/riding. :cool:
    ...being under 21 does not automatically mean you are an inexperienced driver.
    No, but it automatically means you are a wet-behind-the-ears young-fella-miladdo without the sense to come in out of the rain. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Yes it does, some insurers will only quote young drivers up to a given engine size.

Aviva used to restrict cover on offer to young drivers to 1.4l or lower (make and model dependent of course), I dont know if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

OP, I was in the same position as yourself 2 years ago. 19 and looking to get my first policy. I payed about €1800 on an AE111 Levin through Britons Insurance. When I was looking at quotes recently no one could come close to Liberty so if I was you I would call them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

NIMAN wrote: »
    I had a quick search and can't find any company that offers a black box attached to lower your insurance. Perhaps someone else on here will have more info.

As a 19yr old, I have to say that your choice of cars seems very ambitious. I know you don't want to face reality, but going for 2 litre Volvo's, Merc's, Audi's etc ain't going to be pretty when you get the price for insurance I'm afraid.
    No nonsense have an app here. Not quite a black box though so I don't know what the story is when you turn it off.

Yes it does, some insurers will only quote young drivers up to a given engine size.

Aviva used to restrict cover on offer to young drivers to 1.4l or lower (make and model dependent of course), I dont know if they still do.

The problem with that though is that you are allowing people who get their licence when they are 21 and over to insure vehicles over 1.4 straight off the bat where they will have no experience yet limit people who could have up to 3 years road driving experience to driving sub 1.5 tin boxes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The problem with that though is that you are allowing people who get their licence when they are 21 and over to insure vehicles over 1.4 straight off the bat where they will have no experience yet limit people who could have up to 3 years road driving experience to driving sub 1.5 tin boxes..

Its risk profiling/rating.

The fact of the matter is, young drivers in general have more severe crashes often with fatalities.

I cant remember off the top of my head a single vehicle crash with more than one fatality that didnt have a young driver at the wheel, thats the reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I had a Mercedes c180 before, was very cheap to insure.

hi5 wrote: »

Was it your first time insurance? How Old Where you then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

What you need to do is pick a car and stick with it. Call up the insurance companies and brokers and get a quote on it. You're going to have trouble getting a quote on a larger engined car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

hi5 wrote: »

I'd imagine those don't show up in accident/claims stats very much compared with certain other models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can someone tell me where 19 year olds are getting the money to even consider buying a 2 litre Merc let alone insure it :mad:

Advertisement