Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest first-time insurance on 1.6 (19 yr old)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Can someone tell me where 19 year olds are getting the money to even consider buying a 2 litre Merc let alone insure it :mad:

That was my question too! Its one thing recommending a car like a c180, but how many 19 year old can afford to buy and run a car like that?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Ah come on lads. He's hardly suggesting buying a Bentley Continental.

Some young people have plenty of money, other's don't. Like everybody in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Try http://www.boxymo.ie. Limited miles and they attach a box that measures all aspects of your driving. Think they're part of AIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Can someone tell me where 19 year olds are getting the money to even consider buying a 2 litre Merc let alone insure it :mad:

Bigger engined cars are going for way less then cars with engines like 1.0, 1.4's etc. A 525i can be picked up handily for less than 2K and insurance isn't too bad on them. It's also possible for people to get loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TechoPL

After few years of saving up money for a large car, one can buy it and run it. No rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It might not be rocket science, but large cars can have large running costs, and its all well and good saving up for a few years, but savings only go so far. You go out and buy something like a 5 series BMW and something major goes on it then you could be looking at a four figure sum to put it right. Even things like routine servicing on some of these cars will be more expensive.

Im not saying that its impossible for a 19 year old to run a car like that, but most 19 years olds that I know dont tend to be earning big money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

TechoPL wrote: »
    After few years of saving up money for a large car, one can buy it and run it. No rocket science.

You're 19 and probably fresh out of the LC/still in college. Where are these savings coming from?

I had a Passat at 21 (worked weekends for years to get the money by the way) and I had to sell it within a few months because the running costs were through the roof. Could you imagine if something went wrong with your Merc/Audi? You'd pay through the nose for parts. They're not like Japanese cars, those Germans will rip you apart!

I'm sure you can buy it and pay insurance but the running costs are rough as well, unless you have a relatively stable income it will be quite tough, especially with college fees etc. if you're going down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

You can get loans as well lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TechoPL

Working on holidays full time, weekends SUSI pays my college fees, there are ways to get the money and have money still for running costs left. I have connection in my origin country, where I can import very cheap parts for German cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

a C180 or 520i aren't that much more expensive to service than a micra

K11 Micra
    Air filter - 5.36 (WIX)
    Oil Filter - 5.10 (WIX)
    Fuel Filter - 12.74 (MAHLE)
    Oil - 24.99 (5L 5W30 TOTAL)
    Spark Plugs - 22.58 (4x Bosch Plugs)

Total : 70.87 in basic service parts for once a year, according to micksgarage.com

e39 520i
    Air filter - 7.90 (WIX)
    Oil Filter - 6.78 (MAHLE)
    Fuel Filter - 14.48 (MAHLE)
    Oil - 40.25 (7L 5W30 TOTAL)
    Spark Plugs - 33.00 (6x Bosch Plugs)

Total : 102.41 in basic service parts.

31 euro in the difference per year , sure thats barely a nights drinking , not exactly hard to afford for a 19 year old with a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just wait till you've to change the tyres on a 520 though

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Just wait till you've to change the tyres on a 520 though

Part worns for 45-50 a corner , 520 17" or 18" alloys have fairly common tyre sizes , id wager most micras in the country are rolling round on chinese ditch finders for the same money, obviously parts cost a little more , but the average family could run an e39 520i without much issue, a 19 year old with no dependants should be in a similar position, particularly a car enthusiast who'll sacrifice to run a motor

Advertisement