Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner Change - cause of injury?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

I have always run in Asic Gels, but at xmas i was gifted the Sketcher Go Runs (the equiv of Nikes Free Run - 400mm runners) . So for running i've changed over to the Sketchers, although i havent run as much as i would have wanted, i've done a few 5ks - 10ks. The last 8k i did last week i had to stop at 2.5k as my ankles were really stiffening and hurting me. Stopped and stretched and rotated them and then continued, had to repeat this twice more.

Since then my knee has been killing me, if i get up from a seated position my left knee hurts as if it cant take the weight.

Is this something common with someone who has changed their runner type? Should i just keep at it trying to 'break them in'? Or has anyone else experienced this?
    Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It's too coincidental to ignore the possibility of the change being the issue.

What Asics Gel shoe were you running in? If you are coming from any of the stability shoes, then yes, the change is likely to be affecting you. Even from an Asics neutral a transition to a shoe as flexible as the Go-Runs may take time, or not suit you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

My latest pair were Asic Gels Galaxy S, and the ones previous to that were ASICS Men's GT-2170 - http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Mens-GT-2170-Running-Shoe/dp/B0058C6N6K

Caught whether or not to persevere with the Go Runs or leave it, im siding on just keeping with Asics, even at the height of my running i am not putting up mad fast times (pb 24 min 5k) so i may as well plod along in comfort as opposed to be laid up with leg pain and hate running!

Advertisement