Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

happy hacker?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

hi all,
    im just wondering if there is a market at all for happy hackers in ireland? i know in england there is alot of interest in a safe happy hacker but is this the case over here aswel?
    not selling just curious!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I don't think so. We just don't have the hacking, for a start.

Of course there ARE plenty of places to hack, but there are not as many horses owners, living in areas where they have hacking right from their doorstep. Happy hackers, tend to be generally less inclined to load the horse up and travel to somewhere they may not have ridden before, or would not like to ride alone.

Talking to a group of riders who live in Wicklow near the coast, at the last event I was at, I was quite shocked to hear that none of them have access to the beach or forestry, its really quite sad. (Riding not permitted)

Same as we don't have the number of livery yards, are things a little more difficult for the hobby horse owner?

I only know one person who would class herself as a happy hacker, and literally has a safe cob just for hacking.

Apart from that, all the other riders I know, even if they have problems with confidence, do low level competition, Trec, Hunting, more for the social aspect then anything else.

How many times can you hack round the same road network by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Rips wrote: »

How many times can you hack round the same road network by yourself?

I would do it quite a lot, at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, with some minor variations as to the route. I do it to exercise the horse and give them some road work while doing something 'different' from exercise in the arena, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's a very small market OP. Most people who hack, use their horse that does mostly other stuff with hacking as a form of exercise or as a break from regular work. Advertising your horse as a happy hacker alone probably won't get you a buyer unless you're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

convert wrote: »
    I would do it quite a lot, at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, with some minor variations as to the route. I do it to exercise the horse and give them some road work while doing something 'different' from exercise in the arena, etc.

Of course, but presumably, you do other things as well and are not just a happy hacker?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Most riders I know want sport horses/hunters/eventer types.

I know of one woman who bought an ex-eventer having not ridden for 20 years. She sold him on within 6 months and went looking for a happy hacker. That was 2 years ago and she's still looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement