Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Sunderland, 26th March - 20:00, LIVE on Sky Sports 1.

• 24-03-2014 3:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭

Liverpool-vs.-Sunderland.jpg

Title chasing Liverpool host relegation threatened Sunderland in a huge game for both sides which will affect both ends of the table. Liverpool come into the game on the back of 6 straight league wins, their best sequence for over 8 years.

Liverpool should have a full squad to choose from bar Jose Enrique who has gone AWOL somewhere between a gym, a sunbed and a game of FIFA.

Sunderland will be missing Fabio Borini as he is inelligble to play against his parent club.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*Match thread starter virgin alert*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

7-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Skrtel hat-trick...the man is unstoppable since he found out which end he is supposed to score at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Liverpool to win. Would love a clean sheet too !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I'm expecting goals, lots and lots of goals. The fact that Sunderland apparently only have Altidore and Wickham to play up front even makes me a bit confident of a clean sheet.

I'm going out on a limb here, Liverpool to win -4(only 5/1 on bet365).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Could be anything from a shock 1-2 result to 6-0 or 8-3 even.

Liverpool to score at some point though is surely a lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Reckon Stevie will get a yellow and we'll win by atleast 2 goals

adventuretime-pelvic-thrust-time.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm expecting goals, lots and lots of goals. The fact that Sunderland apparently only have Altidore and Wickham to play up front even makes me a bit confident of a clean sheet.

I'm going out on a limb here, Liverpool to win -4(only 5/1 on bet365).

That's a shocking price, you'd be better off going with a four or five scoreline bets

3-1 9/1 (just in case!)
    4-0 9/1
    4-1 13/1
    5-0 16/1
    5-1 20/1

mike65 wrote: »
    That's a shocking price, you'd be better off going with a four or five scoreline bets

3-1 9/1 (just in case!)
    4-0 9/1
    4-1 13/1
    5-0 16/1
    5-1 20/1

Not touching the -4 at that price. 5-0 and 5-1 will be my plays I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Liverpool should have a full squad to choose from bar Jose Enrique who has gone AWOL somewhere between a gym, a sunbed and a game of FIFA.

:):D

• Advertisement

3 points please in any way possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

0-0 --> Craziest prediction that you can have for this Liverpool side right now, and that's says it all!

Thinking 3-1 Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Knex. wrote: »
    0-0 --> Craziest prediction that you can have for this Liverpool side right now, and that's says it all!

Thinking 3-1 Liverpool.

6-5 Sunderland.....the beachball will make its return!

*and in this reality 3-1 Redmen hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Does anybody remember this fixture about ten years ago or so when Howard Wilkinson was manager. We absolutely hammered them nil nil. It was a ridiculous match. Hope there's no repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

potential banana skin here for the pool
    sunderland desperate for points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Agree with this, I'll take 3pts any which way

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

monkey9 wrote: »
    Does anybody remember this fixture about ten years ago or so when Howard Wilkinson was manager. We absolutely hammered them nil nil. It was a ridiculous match. Hope there's no repeat.
    2002/03 season. I remember watching that match. We had something like 28 attempts on goal, Sunderland had 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Hope we don't score too many goals as I will be at the game and last week I had my appendix out, know for a fact some scally is gonna bust me staples open celebrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Hello. Long time reader , first time poster, And full time believer.

After the 3-6 hammering of Cardiff, I'd settle for 1-0 here. Don't think my nerves can take anymore of the going behinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I reckon we will win this one.

17 - 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dreading this. We are going to get ****ing hammered.

I got this
    Paully D wrote: »
    Can't wait for this. We are going to ****ing hammer Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

1 nil pool,as long as its scored in first half and not last seconds ill be ok with that, but ill take it if its last seconds its scored

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Over 5.5 goals is only 4-1 on PP.Have you ever seen odds that short ??

Yurt wrote: »
    Over 5.5 goals is only 4-1 on PP.Have you ever seen odds that short ??

PP are a disgrace though tbh.

It's 11/2 eleswhere.

Still too short

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Lads if there's a side who doesn't need to be cautious about playing at home to Sunderland, then it's ye.
    Laughing at these 1 or 2 nil score predictions.
    3-0 I reckon Suarez Sturridge coutinho

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

barone wrote: »
    1 nil pool,as long as its scored in first half and not last seconds ill be ok with that, but ill take it if its last seconds its scored

My heart could not take a 1-0 result. 3-0 after 10 mins and I'll watch it sitting down from then........cautiously. Won't be comfortable but can not wait!

We've been desperate for points since December but that doesn't matter to the players. The performances against Norwich, Palace and Hull in recent weeks have shown that the vast majority have packed up and finished for the season after the cup final.

Liverpool will win at an absolute canter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Who will Borini be supporting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We've been desperate for points since December but that doesn't matter to the players. The performances against Norwich, Palace and Hull in recent weeks have shown that the vast majority have packed up and finished for the season after the cup final.

Liverpool will win at an absolute canter.

I take it Borini hasn't? Not that it matters in this match but I'd fancy ye to score, even without him.

Tbh I'm dreading this one and Spurs, there's an expectation on us getting to the City match as contenders. The previous matches we were away and there wasn't as much, still, this team seems the anti-Liverpool that we are used to!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I take it Borini hasn't? Not that it matters in this match but I'd fancy ye to score, even without him.

Tbh I'm dreading this one and Spurs, there's an expectation on us getting to the City match as contenders. The previous matches we were away and there wasn't as much, still, this team seems the anti-Liverpool that we are used to!

Borini has been quality. I just don't know why Poyet won't play him centrally as it's staring him in the face and every fan, to a man, is calling for it to happen.

Borini, Mannone and Ki are the only three players I'd really want to keep in all honesty. Two of them aren't ours. That tells you more about our squad (or lack of) and says it all about how poorly we've performed in the transfer market really.

I'd be surprised if we had a shot on target in all honesty mate. If you go for the kill from the off it could be over by half time. I don't think the vast majority of our team have the fight to put it up to you. Most of them are out of contract or know they will move on at the end of the season regardless of what happens so don't have it in them.

monkey9 wrote: »

I can remember a game against Sunderland about that time, we completely dominated them, a young mackem came off the bench and scored a winner. It was a disgrace :) can't remember the young lads name though but I'm sure) Paully D will know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Any kind of a win will obviously do but I would love a 4-0 or 5-0 to maintain the confidence level.

I can remember a game against Sunderland about that time, we completely dominated them, a young mackem came off the bench and scored a winner. It was a disgrace :) can't remember the young lads name though but I'm sure) Paully D will know.

There was a 0-0 back in late 2002 as far as I recall. Jurgen Macho put in a wonder performance in goal and we had 11 men behind the ball from the first whistle to the last. To this day I still don't know how we escaped with a point :pac:

The game you might be thinking of was Sunderland 2-1 Liverpool when Michael Proctor came off the bench to score the winner with a few minutes remaining? That was a close game though, we even missed a penalty in the second half if it's the same game we're thinking of?

We always used to have close games back then. If I remember correctly, we had about 10 games in a row towards the end of the 1990's/start of the 2000's that were either drawn or settled by 1 goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Borini has been quality. I just don't know why Poyet won't play him centrally as it's staring him in the face and every fan, to a man, is calling for it to happen.

Borini, Mannone and Ki are the only three players I'd really want to keep in all honesty. Two of them aren't ours. That tells you more about our squad (or lack of) and says it all about how poorly we've performed in the transfer market really.

I'd be surprised if we had a shot on target in all honesty mate. If you go for the kill from the off it could be over by half time. I don't think the vast majority of our team have the fight to put it up to you. Most of them are out of contract or know they will move on at the end of the season regardless of what happens so don't have it in them.

Didn't realise it was as bad as that, I thought it was just Di Canio signings, but obviously there's underlying issues. I don't think ye are doomed yet, Cardiff and Fulham for me with the other spot going down to the wire.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was as bad as that, I thought it was just Di Canio signings, but obviously there's underlying issues. I don't think ye are doomed yet, Cardiff and Fulham for me with the other spot going down to the wire.

Yeah, it's quite bad. I think Di Canio had the squad sussed (his comments about Fletcher's professionalism, Bardsley et al) but didn't have the man management skills to handle it properly nor ultimately any sort of tactical ability either.

Poyet has done well with the hand he has been dealt but we can't seem to break down teams around us. If a team sits back against us we pop the ball around until we get into the final third and then hit a brick wall due to having no creativity or unpredictability as we sold what we did have in terms of that to a relegation rival (Sessegnon to West Brom). That's why we tend to do better against the big teams (a glimmer of hope for Wednesday I guess) and why we have the worst record against the bottom half, having only taken only 10 points from those games all season. Considering those define our season, it's not good.

True, we're not out of it yet but I have to admit that I have given up :(

It might take a relegation to clear things up and rebuild, similar to what Newcastle and to a certain extent West Ham did in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Yeah, it's quite bad. I think Di Canio had the squad sussed (his comments about Fletcher's professionalism, Bardsley et al) but didn't have the man management skills to handle it properly nor ultimately any sort of tactical ability either.

Poyet has done well with the hand he has been dealt but we can't seem to break down teams around us. If a team sits back against us we pop the ball around until we get into the final third and then hit a brick wall due to having no creativity or unpredictability as we sold what we did have in terms of that to a relegation rival (Sessegnon to West Brom). That's why we tend to do better against the big teams (a glimmer of hope for Wednesday I guess) and why we have the worst record against the bottom half, having only taken only 10 points from those games all season. Considering those define our season, it's not good.

True, we're not out of it yet but I have to admit that I have given up :(

It might take a relegation to clear things up and rebuild, similar to what Newcastle and to a certain extent West Ham did in recent years.

Whats the problem with Fletcher? Always thought he was a decent player to be honest.

slingerz wrote: »
    Whats the problem with Fletcher? Always thought he was a decent player to be honest.

He did well for a six month period when he first signed, and though us Sunderland fans were loving it at the time, one would have to wonder how much of that was down to luck. At one stage I think he'd scored 8 goals from 8 shots. It's obviously clinical but not sustainable. Since January 2013 he's been horrific though.

Di Canio labelled him as "one of the worst professionals he has ever seen" and while that is probably an exaggeration, his injury record at the club (he seems to get lots of little "niggles") coupled with his drinking exploits (he's often spotted out around Newcastle) doesn't lead one to give a differing opinion.

I guess it doesn't help that he has always played better in a 4-4-2 than a 4-5-1 and we have little creativity in midfield, so it's perhaps not a great fit for him in terms of that, but he has been extremely poor for 14 months now.

There was a 0-0 back in late 2002 as far as I recall. Jurgen Macho put in a wonder performance in goal and we had 11 men behind the ball from the first whistle to the last. To this day I still don't know how we escaped with a point :pac:

The game you might be thinking of was Sunderland 2-1 Liverpool when Michael Proctor came off the bench to score the winner with a few minutes remaining? That was a close game though, we even missed a penalty in the second half if it's the same game we're thinking of?

We always used to have close games back then. If I remember correctly, we had about 10 games in a row towards the end of the 1990's/start of the 2000's that were either drawn or settled by 1 goal.

Michael Proctor, that's his name. Did he have much of a career with Sunderland? I must have somehow got the 2 games mixed up, or mashed them into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Sunderland win 3-2

Adam Johnson will score a brace and Skrtel forgets which way he's scoring once again.

Gerrard picks up a yellow.

All Liverpool players apart from Suarez kick the sh1t outta Poyet after his one man team jibes. All players banned for 7 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

4-0

Suarez (2) Sturridge and Henderson.

As a Liverpool fan I will probably miss the start of this due to work, but as a Liverpool fan hopefully we can get the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Turtyturd wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan I will probably miss the start of this due to work, but as a Liverpool fan hopefully we can get the win.

As a Liverpool fan myself, I feel your pain. Managed to get into work early so I can get out in time for the game.

We need to burst out of the blocks and get a few early goals. All over by half time hopefully.

Sunderland should be well up for it. Potential banana skin.

As a Liverpool fan myself, I hope that those of us who, as liverpool fans are watching can keep you, as a liverpool fan yourself, up to date on whats happening

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Wed training starts back tonight with the kids so gonna miss the 1st half at least :(

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Wed training starts back tonight with the kids so gonna miss the 1st half at least :(

That's it.....you're out of the match thread saps gang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

If Gerrard does pick up a yellow tonight, I'd hope Lucas can come in for at least the last 30 mins to get some game time.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

That's it.....you're out of the match thread saps gang.

If I do my initiation again can I get back in?

initiaTION.png.png

saps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Match thread saps

optimussnow_col_by_suzuran-d5v50p2.jpg

ROLL OUT

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Match thread saps

ROLL OUT

Is it sad that I read that out in my head in Peter Cullens voice...:o

• Advertisement