Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad iphone repair in Galway

Options
  • 24-03-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!
    My problem is that I got an iphone with a charging problem fixed in a repair shop in Galway city. I had heard a few rumours that things could get 'dodgey' with these repairs so I kept receipt etc. The charging problem (not charging) came back 4-5 days after the repair. I went back to the shop and was told I would need to pay another €35 to get it 'properly fixed' I asked what the initial €40 had been for and was told that these things happen. I was told that there was a guarantee with the repair but this was a different repair. It bloody well obviously wasn't!! They had the phone for 3 days, how did they not spot this in the first place. I think I'm being taken for a fool, I have the phone, does anyone have any advice?
    please and thanks in advance
    Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I'm fairly certain I know the shop you are talking about. Cowboys.

Small claims court?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thread moved from Galway City, you'll get better feedback here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Go back in and demand a refund. They did not provide the service you paid for. Obviously the repair should be permanent - certainly more than a few days!

If they refuse, bring the b@stards to the small claims court.

I know its 'only' €40, but thats not the point. Show them you won't be taken for a fool, or screwed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

oops thought I was in AH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dbyrnegaillimh

Heading in today at lunch. Going to look to get them to complete the repair without them charging me extra! Failing that, I'll look for my money back. Will post to let people know what happens.
    Apologies to the mods about the scatter gun approach to my posts, I'll keep it in line from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Would you have a go at fixing it yourself perhaps ?

Lot's of detailed guides here.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Was the place <SNIP> by any chance?
    i had a similar issue where i wanted them to fix the charger port on the phone in which they managed to break the microphone in the phone. then they told me i would have to pay to fix it because they didnt break it it was corrosion that broke it. ended up paying a reduced amount after arguing with the manager. had to open up my phone a few month later to fix the headphone jack myself and noticed a good portion of screws were missing too

ZENER wrote: »
    Would you have a go at fixing it yourself perhaps ?

Lot's of detailed guides here.

Ken

Large hands and previous experience trying an ipod screen has taught me lessons, cheers though

Was the place <SNIP> by any chance?
    i had a similar issue where i wanted them to fix the charger port on the phone in which they managed to break the microphone in the phone. then they told me i would have to pay to fix it because they didnt break it it was corrosion that broke it. ended up paying a reduced amount after arguing with the manager. had to open up my phone a few month later to fix the headphone jack myself and noticed a good portion of screws were missing too

Bingo.

• Advertisement

Here is my story. Went into Meteor shop and a Carphone shop, was fishing for an upgrade, no luck. One guy laughed at my story and the other girl pretty much finished my story for me, said it was pretty standard story. Both shops said to try the Nokia place. Long story short, I went in to the Nokia care place in the same shopping centre as the original crowd. They charged me €45, advised me that doing DIY repairs on phones was a bad idea (I kept quiet about the other repair on advice from Meteor lad)
    iPhone is charging away here beside me, so far so good! As for the other crowd that tried to pull the fast one, the staff in both shops just said forget about it unless you bring a claim in small claims, so I'm going to do that. What's the success rate of the Small Claims Court does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Here is my story. Went into Meteor shop and a Carphone shop, was fishing for an upgrade, no luck. One guy laughed at my story and the other girl pretty much finished my story for me, said it was pretty standard story. Both shops said to try the Nokia place. Long story short, I went in to the Nokia care place in the same shopping centre as the original crowd. They charged me €45, advised me that doing DIY repairs on phones was a bad idea (I kept quiet about the other repair on advice from Meteor lad)
    iPhone is charging away here beside me, so far so good! As for the other crowd that tried to pull the fast one, the staff in both shops just said forget about it unless you bring a claim in small claims, so I'm going to do that. What's the success rate of the Small Claims Court does anyone know?

Glad to hear its been sorted. Good choice bringing them to small claims. I have heard the success rates are quite good. For a case like this its a no brainer. They didn't repair your phone properly, you are due a refund.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you contact them about the bad repair and give them a chance to address the issue?

Before taking a SCC case, it's advisable to show how you took steps to work through the issue.

Advertisement