Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of Clontarf Brian Boru 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tunguska wrote: »
    Seriously? I wouldnt have entered had I known it'd be like that. Its like an F1 circuit....

Despite that its not that bad pretty much combines the fastest parts of the Raheny five and the DCC 4 miler and way most of the laps are laid out congestion shouldn't be an issue.
    drquirky wrote: »
    I take it doesn't go up that hill they use in raheny. 5? Turns don't bother a midget like me lol

No looks like you avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

That point you go by twice at the 7 mile marker is pretty steep if I'm thinking of the right spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

yaboya1 wrote: »
    That point you go by twice at the 7 mile marker is pretty steep if I'm thinking of the right spot.

It looks like the short(ish) sharp hill into St Anne's to me - almost tunnel like with the trees either side\overhead if that's the spot, fairly steep alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

emerald007 wrote: »
    A course map for Monday as provided by the Race Organiser

Ouch. What happened to the original route?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nice run but absolutely pooped. Definitely wasn't fit enough for that distance.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Nice run but absolutely pooped. Definitely wasn't fit enough for that distance.

Was a tough race no matter what level of fitness you are (unless you were the two Athenry boys :D)

Highlight of the race was the reaction of the group I ran in as one of them passed us (assuming we were being lapped rather than him taking a wrong turn earlier in the race which cost him the win)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Enjoyed it but I'm completely knackered this afternoon! I love running around St. Anne's and usually do the parkrun there so I liked those bits, but I was so tired and hot during miles 6, 7 and 8 that I considered stopping... instead I took a little walk at the water stop the second time we passed it and then continued, knowing there wasn't that much farther to go. I loved the final straight down the avenue and even managed to get up some speed after crawling along for the previous 4 miles, ended up finishing with a much better time than I had thought - must have banked a bit of time early on. Although I'm not a huge fan of plaques and medals I must say I like the plaque from the goodie bag, it's definitely one that will go on display.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The first guy lapped me like I was standing still. He seemed miles ahead of the second place. Phenomenal runner.
    A couple of spots weren't signposted alright such as where you go right at the pitches there was no marshalls. I would have gone straight only I know the route from parkrun. Is that where the guy went the wrong way?

The first guy lapped me like I was standing still. He seemed miles ahead of the second place. Phenomenal runner.
    A couple of spots weren't signposted alright such as where you go right at the pitches there was no marshalls. I would have gone straight only I know the route from parkrun. Is that where the guy went the wrong way?

I am not sure where but I think it was coming down the hill under the bridge (had I known he was just passing me and not lapping me I may have put up more of a fight, fecker pushed me out of the prize positions :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Any sign of results. I can't remember who was providing the timing today.

• Advertisement

PVincent wrote: »
    Any sign of results. I can't remember who was providing the timing today.

ChampionChip, no results yet

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Sorry for the delay but had another matter to attend to in Dublin while I was down.

Results now on www.championchipireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 26 expato

Great Job as usual by Raheny Shamrock.I am not connected. Everything like clockwork. Great atmosphere. The stuff in the goodie bag was in date which is disappointing.....but there you go you cant have it every way!!! Seriously though it was a great morning and great that so many gave up their own run to steward so well. Its a great park for a run and the avenue looked magnificent. The massed buggies on the mound at the end looked like a scene out of Zulu and Home Alone rolled into one..

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Plenty of stewards but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link - how did the guy running in second place manage to get sent the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great day for a race, just looking at the map and Im counting 40 corners?! Still, I enjoyed the course as its a great park and area to run. Only drawback for me was that me and the other lad who was racing against me had to shout to the stewards on numerous occasions which direction we were meant to go! Maybe it was the heat that had them vegging out and not pointing the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I've put up some photos here, with more from the finish line to follow this evening:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157644179410461/

Great shots Eoinin. Were you the guy in the Millenium T-shirt?

For the finishing shots I can be easily identified as the person who neglected to put vaseline on his nipples prior to the race:D. Never had that problem before:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great to see some of the epic inter-club rivalries coming to a head in the great Battle of Clontarf. You can see the fire raging in their eyes, as they strive to get one over their mortal enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats to all who ran, some really great performances from lots of baordsies. Special thanks to all the marshals and volunteers for the encouragement, in particular Buster (and his owner FBOT) who very kindly stepped in where a lot of people could have gone off course. Another great race from Raheny Shamrocks, St Anne's park was fabulous in the sunshine.
    eoinín wrote: »
    I've put up some photos here, with more from the finish line to follow this evening:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157644179410461/

thanks Eoin, some really great photos, especially of the start line, you somehow captured the heat of the day.

My son saw my finishing photos and said "Mum, you look like you're about to throw up"....... proof that the camera doesn't lie;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Great day for a race, just looking at the map and Im counting 40 corners?! Still, I enjoyed the course as its a great park and area to run. Only drawback for me was that me and the other lad who was racing against me had to shout to the stewards on numerous occasions which direction we were meant to go! Maybe it was the heat that had them vegging out and not pointing the way :)

I think you shouted at me at one stage but I wasn't stewarding I was spectating:) I was over by the 4 mile marker sunny myself but decided to move down to the right turn after the tennis courts as a couple of people where going the wrong way as there was no steward or sign at the junction...I was telling a couple of back markers to make sure they stayed into the left as you guys were coming through when your Raheny buddy let a shout at me. I was nearly going to set the dog on him:) I think he heard me saying to the ladies to move into the left out of your way and he was checking that he correct in turning right. Obviously if I was stewarding I would have done a much better job and not given you any reason to chastise me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I think you shouted at me at one stage but I wasn't stewarding I was spectating:) I was over by the 4 mile marker sunny myself but decided to move down to the right turn after the tennis courts as a couple of people where going the wrong way as there was no steward or sign at the junction...I was telling a couple of back markers to make sure they stayed into the left as you guys were coming through when your Raheny buddy let a shout at me. I was nearly going to set the dog on him:) I think he heard me saying to the ladies to move into the left out of your way and he was checking that he correct in turning right. Obviously if I was stewarding I would have done a much better job and not given you any reason to chastise me ;)

Ah i remember that junction! Fair play to ya for giving us directions as it was literally a 50 50 decision on which way to go. like myself, i guess the Raheny runner thought you were a steward and gave ya a friendly enquiry on which way to go :-) glad ya didnt release the hounds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Great shots Eoinin. Were you the guy in the Millenium T-shirt?

For the finishing shots I can be easily identified as the person who neglected to put vaseline on his nipples prior to the race:D. Never had that problem before:o

Yes, that was me in the millenium t-shirt... I dont think I've seen that particular nipple shot, though there were a couple of other incidents of "finish line unpleasantness" which I thankfully didnt take photos of!
    Great to see some of the epic inter-club rivalries coming to a head in the great Battle of Clontarf. You can see the fire raging in their eyes, as they strive to get one over their mortal enemies.

Ah its nice for a couple of fun runners to have a pleasant jog around, without a care in the world! :)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    My son saw my finishing photos and said "Mum, you look like you're about to throw up"....... proof that the camera doesn't lie;-)

Where was the joyous, arms aloft Raheny 5 style celebration today? I was disappointed not to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Anyone know if this will definitely run again in 2015? The athletics ireland fixtures list has an entry for 6th April, but there is nothing on the raheny website for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

a permit was granted, pretty sure it will be going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

RayCun wrote: »
    a permit was granted, pretty sure it will be going ahead

Great! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

Any one got any updates on this race,

thanks
    Richard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

rdunne wrote: »
    Any one got any updates on this race,

thanks
    Richard

its listed here on 6th April http://www.athleticsireland.ie/runzone/fixtures/ but I haven't been able to find a sign up/registration anywhere. Hopefully it goes ahead, was a great race last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

This race is going ahead for sure. I was talking to the organiser the other week. He said registration would be open shortly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Hi guys,
    Have never run any races above 10km before but plan to aim towards the Clontarf half marathon in July. Did my 1st race in 2 years last night (Dublin night run 5k) and finished in 30:20 so while I won't be breaking any records any time soon, it's a solid enough pace for a beginner (slow coach) like me! (Although those 20 seconds are secretly KILLING me inside!!) :D

So....I'm just wondering, because this race isn't very well advertised, are there many entries? The reason I ask is I don't want to end up entering my first 10 mile only to find out it's full of you speedy-gonzales types and be left climbing over the finish line paddy last!!! I tried to find the results from last year online but to no avail so any advise on whether this is a good/bad one to try for my first 10 miler would be hugely appreciated :)

Thanks so much!

Advertisement