Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of Clontarf Brian Boru 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Have never run any races above 10km before but plan to aim towards the Clontarf half marathon in July. Did my 1st race in 2 years last night (Dublin night run 5k) and finished in 30:20 so while I won't be breaking any records any time soon, it's a solid enough pace for a beginner (slow coach) like me! (Although those 20 seconds are secretly KILLING me inside!!) :D

So....I'm just wondering, because this race isn't very well advertised, are there many entries? The reason I ask is I don't want to end up entering my first 10 mile only to find out it's full of you speedy-gonzales types and be left climbing over the finish line paddy last!!! I tried to find the results from last year online but to no avail so any advise on whether this is a good/bad one to try for my first 10 miler would be hugely appreciated :)

Thanks so much!

McMillan (see link below) predicts your 10 mile time at 1:45:52 (assuming you do all the training needed). Last year there were plenty of runners around that time, according to the photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157644179410461/page17/

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Great thanks a mill - few there alright but they do look pretty lonely...ha! As much as I hate the Phoenix Pk runs at least I know there'd be plenty running at my pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    Great thanks a mill - few there alright but they do look pretty lonely...ha! As much as I hate the Phoenix Pk runs at least I know there'd be plenty running at my pace.

Don't let that put you off though, you won't be on your own and its a lovely race with lots of local support and yes, its nice to do a race outside the phoenix park! This goes through St Annes and onto the seafront. Go for it...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh deadly, I didn't know this was on again. Can't remember what happened me last year. Oh I did a HM on the Friday but would hope to do this this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

How much is this race?
    There seems to be fukall details online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It also doubles as the Leinster 10M road race championships

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

belcarra wrote: »
    How much is this race?
    There seems to be fukall details online.

It seems to be 20 euros plus 1.40 processing fee (or is it 2.40?). Annoyingly you have to fill in the form before finding out the cost. Entry here:

http://www.active.com/raheny-dublin/running/distance-running-races/battle-of-clontarf-10-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

No t-shirt, that's the glory of racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Thinking of heading up to do this, is there much parking around?

also, any elevation map profile anywhere?

• Advertisement

webpal wrote: »
    Thinking of heading up to do this, is there much parking around?

Some parking in the red stables car park within St Annes - just off Mt prospect Av. If thats full, try the suburban roads around the park - theres loads of space there. In or around the streets near Mt Prospect Avenue to the south and All Saints Road to the north have loads of side streets..

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Raheny,+Co.+Dublin/@53.3724503,-6.1792142,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670fee701d4b5d:0x2600c7a7bb558622

Raheny village also has a DART station if that suits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Eoin - Do you have a route map or profile of the course?

belcarra wrote: »
    Eoin - Do you have a route map or profile of the course?
    theres a route map on page 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If I get onto James Larkin road from Sutton Cross, should I take the right up watermill road then to get to the start? Or go further?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone have a Garmin Connect link? Figuring out that map is too much hard work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Good event last year but my one gripe was that some of the marshals were young kids whose attention had waned by the time I plodded along and I had to ask them which way to go. If I remember rightly one of the lead runners went the wrong way completely and did an extra kilometre or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone have a Garmin Connect link? Figuring out that map is too much hard work.
    Here's one I found from last year (thanks Marthastew!): link. It's actually one of the few I found that has the distance right.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Any idea how many ran last year? Anybody still have last year's results? ChampionChip seem to only show the most recent events on their site.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    If I get onto James Larkin road from Sutton Cross, should I take the right up watermill road then to get to the start? Or go further?

you could park on Watermill and walk through the park from there. But if you dont know the park you may find it tricky to locate the start - you wont be able to see it from Watermill due to tress blocking your view. Maybe drive on, past the park, as far as Mount Prospect Av and turn right there. If you can park in the red stables car park do so, otherwise park on one of the side streets around there. I think number collection is in the red stabled buildings, but if you aim for there you should be able to find the start easily enough - there will be loads of runners milling around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Firedance wrote: »
    Don't let that put you off though, you won't be on your own and its a lovely race with lots of local support and yes, its nice to do a race outside the phoenix park! This goes through St Annes and onto the seafront. Go for it...:-)

Hi, just to clarify - are you talking about the clontarf half on July 4th ? (not the Brian Boru 10 mile race next week?).

Seems like you've done it before? What happened last year with the number pick ups? Do we have an option to get it prior to race day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Pink11 wrote: »
    Hi, just to clarify - are you talking about the clontarf half on July 4th ? (not the Brian Boru 10 mile race next week?).

Seems like you've done it before? What happened last year with the number pick ups? Do we have an option to get it prior to race day?

no I'm talking about the 10 miler, from memory, part of the park runs parallel to the sea front, I don't think we actually went out on the road. I think we picked up our race numbers in the Red Stables before the race, did the organisers not give out that info after you registered? (I haven't registered, don't think I'll make it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Entered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Signed up also, have to be good over the Easter wkend now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

66_Lad wrote: »
    Signed up also, have to be good over the Easter wkend now!

Ah I was thinking that a little chocolate carbo loading would be in order ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

Is there anybody heading over from the Ranelagh/Ballsbridge D4 side of town. I don't have a car, and the first DART gets in too late for the race, not to mention the lack of buses, with it being a Public Holiday.... A lift offer over would be gratefully appreciated :)... Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just signed up. I haven't taken part in many 10 milers (Frank Duffy 2013 & 2014) so if I'm in any kind of shape a PB is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

ArgieExile wrote: »
    Is there anybody heading over from the Ranelagh/Ballsbridge D4 side of town. I don't have a car, and the first DART gets in too late for the race, not to mention the lack of buses, with it being a Public Holiday.... A lift offer over would be gratefully appreciated :)... Thanks...[/quot
    Managed to get a lift sorted, thanks if you were thinking if it. .

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Firedance wrote: »
    no I'm talking about the 10 miler, from memory, part of the park runs parallel to the sea front, I don't think we actually went out on the road. I think we picked up our race numbers in the Red Stables before the race, did the organisers not give out that info after you registered? (I haven't registered, don't think I'll make it)

I won't be in Dublin for the weekend so won't sign up to this otherwise think I would have. Very near me!

I thought you may have been talking about the Clontarf half in July because another member was talking about that I think? Ayway, sorry for the confusion, my mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Raheny Shamrock AC is running a kids' race in conjunction with the Brian Boru 10 mile on Monday 6th April. It is a 500m race open to all kids aged 8 to 12; no entry fee required. The race will start directly after start of 10 mile (approx 10.15am) on main avenue of St Annes opposite playground. We will have prizes for first three girls and boys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

HelenAnne wrote:
    Raheny Shamrock AC is running a kids' race in conjunction with the Brian Boru 10 mile on Monday 6th April. It is a 500m race open to all kids aged 8 to 12; no entry fee required. The race will start directly after start of 10 mile (approx 10.15am) on main avenue of St Annes opposite playground. We will have prizes for first three girls and boys.

That's great, my kids loved the race at the one in January. Shame anybody taken part will not get to see the kids race but at least It's something for the kids to do.

Advertisement