Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of Clontarf Brian Boru 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

webpal wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, did anyones gps watch play tricks with them? Most of markers were off on mine and it measured the course at 9.78. Although the shortcuts accross the pitches were tempting, I stuck to the paths. I know there were a lot of trees around but just wondering if my watch is broken.

Mine got 9.88 but it's no surprise given that garmins do very poorly with sharp turns and when there is significant tree cover, so when you have both at the same time it's a double whammy.

As I posted earlier in one of the logs, look at this for example:
    http://i.imgur.com/XWbH0tD.jpg
    That's from the bit when we veered off the main avenue before the finish line to begin the lap of the back of the park. As you can see, the garmin sees me cutting a significant amount of the corner when you compare it to the actual path we used. It's no surprise that my Garmin pace at this moment instantaneously dropped from 6:2x to 9:3x despite a fast downhill . Bear in mind this is only one of numerous corners we took over this tree covered section.

If I were anyone I would take garmin paces of miles 3,4,7 and 8 with a large pinch of salt.

I have no doubt the course was spot on measurement wise but the garmins are useless at measuring these kinds of courses. It's the same when I do a track workout. Last week I did 2 5k reps (12.5 laps) and the garmin said those reps were 3.04 and 3.06 miles respectively. I had to pace myself of actual distance (laps and stopwatch) and not rely on garmin pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Exact same as meno on my Garmin 110 .... 9.88miles.

It started off beeping before the mile 1 and 2 markers, but that changed at mile 3 and the beep was a good bit later than the mile 4 sign.... the pace for that one was disturbingly slow so it gave a bit of hope to work out what might be going on.

Never found a GPS so fast as at the start of the Clontarf 10 have to say ...

Exact same as meno on my Garmin 110 .... 9.88miles.

It started off beeping before the mile 1 and 2 markers, but that changed at mile 3 and the beep was a good bit later than the mile 4 sign.... the pace for that one was disturbingly slow so it gave a bit of hope to work out what might be going on.

Never found a GPS so fast as at the start of the Clontarf 10 have to say ...

Yeah the first 2 miles were in the clear opening on the avenue so it's normal that the GPS is pretty accurate, especially running straight lines.
    Like yourself my unit definitely lost distance in the 3rd and 4th miles.

Basically as you can see from the image above, your watch loses GPS signal in the trees and by the time it picks up again you have run maybe 50 metres forwards, turned and ran back parallel. It them joins the two points in a straight line, meaning it looks like you slalomed straight through the forest rather than followed the paths. You lose a fair bit of distance (and garmin pace) as a result.

Same thing regularly happens in St Annes parkrun btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

menoscemo wrote: »

Same thing regularly happens in St Annes parkrun btw...
    And seemingly clontarf suffers from GPS issues also..

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I found it to be just over 10 miles, according to my Garmin. Then again, I was waddling along at such a slow pace it's possible that the Earth had partially rotated on its axis by the time I'd finished the race.

[Edit: am not allowed post a link to Garmin activity but I have a Forerunner 110 that's a few years old and is on beeping terms with many tree-lined routes of St Anne's Park and the Phoenix Park. It reads 10.07 miles].

Back in the deep, dark, distant past I used to run sub-80 mins for the 10 miles, though there were never really too many 10 mile races against which to record a time, e.g. there's a lot of 10Ks and half-marathons but few distances in between.

Raheny did a fantastic job, as ever. (I don't mean that as a slight against anyone involved in event management companies etc, but I really have a strong affinity for club races, and Raheny certainly faced a lot of competition in terms of events scheduled that weekend).

Am going to the BHAA 10k this weekend, to erase the disastrous 10 mile time from my memory.

• Advertisement

Anyone got a link to the team results?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Well done to all. Enjoyed reading the race reports. Wasn't in Dublin that weekend so couldn't do it but after reading the glowing feedback I hope to do this next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Really enjoyed this race, have been running "in season" (ie not in winter!! 😄) for a couple of years now, but haven't usually started up properly until May/June. Got going with the Raheny 5 this year, and wanted to do a decent distance early to see how I might be set for a tilt at a first marathon this year.

Really enjoyed the distance, the course in the park was great (not too bothered about the bends myself but I wasn't at the business end of things!), the route was well marshalled, and I surprised myself with a decent performance which has helped me set some realistic goals, training paces, etc. for DCM this year.

A good morning all round, and well done to Raheny Shamrocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Anyone got a link to the team results?

Haven't seen them ...emailed our club results to Pat Hooper on Mon evening but no reply yet. Assume they will go up on athletics leinster website in the next wk or so.

66_Lad wrote: »
    Haven't seen them ...emailed our club results to Pat Hooper on Mon evening but no reply yet. Assume they will go up on athletics leinster website in the next wk or so.

I saw one club posting their own team placings this evening, so it seems they are out there somewhere.....

• Advertisement

I saw one club posting their own team placings this evening, so it seems they are out there somewhere.....

Saw SW posting on Facebook alright but assumed they did the maths themselves...guess we're not well enough connected!!

Saw SW posting on Facebook alright but assumed they did the maths themselves...guess we're not well enough connected!!

Ah yeah, maybe that's it.....Just when they said 'the results are in' I assumed they had some official word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ah yeah, maybe that's it.....Just when they said 'the results are in' I assumed they had some official word.

BP from Wicklow assured me they'll be in today...

see results attached

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

see results attached
    Dunno why they refuse to believe that I'm over 40. :)

66_Lad - I must have run part of that race with you at some stage? Was surrounded by SBR vests for most of the race.

Dunno why they refuse to believe that I'm over 40. :)

66_Lad - I must have run part of that race with you at some stage? Was surrounded by SBR vests for most of the race.

I was in the group behind you when you nearly went out of the park instead of goin on the grass, didn't have the pace to go with you when 4 of ye pushed on after 3ish miles. Had a good battle with a club mate alright and ran a 20 sec PB...nice getting 1st team. You ran a v astute race, must have been a negative split? My quads were in bits this week, maybe from all the sharp turns...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

see results attached

Oops some of the times in the individual results are 10 minutes out!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats all. Curious why it would take so long - is it due to confusion over whether you have to be considered in your age grade only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hope you don't mind the resurrection but apparently it's on again but am I right in saying there is no entry page as yet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

aquinn wrote:
    Hope you don't mind the resurrection but apparently it's on again but am I right in saying there is no entry page as yet?

Its definitely on again seen it in the clubhouse, Easter Monday. Don't think it's open yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Might give this a lash this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah keep saying I'll do this one, way too close to Rotterdam but may be good for some marathon pace miles and to keep me away from the chocolate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Hopefully they will change the route from last year

Abhainn wrote: »
    Hopefully they will change the route from last year

Agreed. I haven't run it but the route seems to double back and repeat etc a lot! For me, the location is very convenient, the timing this year probably works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Yep,

Going to give it a go also, if I don't get roped into marshalling by the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Yep,

Going to give it a go also, if I don't get roped into marshalling by the club.

Cool, can you ask them to put a link up for registration? :D

aquinn wrote: »
    Cool, can you ask them to put a link up for registration? :D

yeh and ask them to change the route a little bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Anywhere online to register for this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Anywhere online to register for this yet.

Not yet. Hopefully they'll post a link soon. I noticed that the East of Ireland people are going ahead with their Clontarf Half-Marathon on the Saturday 26 March. That's bound to take some of the potential Raheny attendance for Easter Monday.

In the (bad?) old days 'AAI permit' used to mean something: there wouldn't have been two races allowed on each other's doorstep on the same weekend. (But the 'permit' was from the days of NACA versus BLÉ, when it was 'BLÉ permit' and the potential for crucifixion if running in a NACA race). Slightly off-topic I suppose but here's an example of a good club runner (Ciaran 'Ben' Brady) getting caught participating in an NACA race and being suspended by the BLÉ:
    http://www.rahenyshamrock.ie/news/1-news/94-admin
    (I think either 'Ben' or his brother married the world-class athlete Annette Kealy, so they were probably the subject of more BLÉ scrutiny than the average club athlete),
    Ironic that the peace process up north helped sort out the rival sporting bodies in the south.

Major digression. Short answer: do wait for the link for the 10 miler, as it's a good race in a nice park setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Link to enter this is up now through their facebook page

Advertisement