Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of Clontarf Brian Boru 10

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

can u pick up your no. on the morning of the race?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

can u pick up your no. on the morning of the race?

Yes, last year it was in the red stables in St Anne's. I would assume it will be the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I ran this one last year, and am planning to go again this year. It should be a good tune up for the Connemara HM the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Im in, registered yesterday.

Hoping for as nice a day as last year, weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Anyone know is route the same as last year?

• Advertisement

Ferris B wrote: »
    Anyone know is route the same as last year?

I believe a couple of small changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Would people recommend this one? Thinking if bringing the young lads up to see the Easter Sunday parade. Have an aunt in Clontarf so handy enough to hang around and take it in next morning.

Bahanaman wrote:
    Would people recommend this one? Thinking if bringing the young lads up to see the Easter Sunday parade. Have an aunt in Clontarf so handy enough to hang around and take it in next morning.

Yes it's a nice course in a lovely park. There is a nice playground right at the Start/Finish area, if the kids are a bit older there is also a couple of kids race's before the main one kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Will there be pacers for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Will there be pacers for this

Not usually !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Is there a map anywhere for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yes, last year it was in the red stables in St Anne's. I would assume it will be the same this year.

According to the flyer (link here) you can collect your race number in Clontarf GAA club on Saturday 26th or Easter Sunday (27th) between 11:00 and 16:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Lovely morning for it, as it turned out. Very cold and windy beforehand, but once we got going it wasn't that bad. I had a chat with RedRunner after getting my number from the well organised registration area, and we agreed that it would be better not to go flat out. Even so, I managed a PB of over a minute, which made for a very satisfying outing and great prep for the Connemara Half next week. Plenty of twists and turns, but marshals everywhere to stop anyone taking a wrong one. Thanks to all involved. Plenty of support around the course (everyone seemed to know Sarah from Tallaght!) but as usual FBOT01 seemed to be everywhere, and deserves a special mention here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Support and marshalling were first class.
    Course is mainly flat but much too twisty turny in the effort to keep the 10 mile route within the confines of the park.
    3 times we went out the main drag to turn at a traffic cone. 180 degree turns at a traffic cone in any race are not ideal, but 3 times in the one race :(
    Its a lovely setting and a pity the route is a bit messy.
    Take nothing away from the marshalls who were very supportive and made sure no one would take a wrong turn.
    Personally very happy with my run but the every time you take an acute turn you are leaving seconds behind you as you also slip or come to a full stop.

I really enjoyed it: perfect conditions, not too cold - though there was a strong breeze faced when running outside the tree cover.

The support was great, nice to see so many people stop and cheer on the athletes. Marshals were excellent: couldn't get lost - and were quite encouraging and supportive (though I'd liked to have some of them scowl a bit at the tendency for some runners to trim a little off at the bends).

The course (see link below) was a bit twisty though. (See 'easter egg' shape loops at start). It makes good use of the paths within the park, but might need to do something to remove those early loops.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1102332089

The ups/downs the avenue meant that a few runners began to take on water after less than a mile. (It had been intended for people on the way back). Overall though there were no chokepoints on the course, and no-one running at an ordinary pace would have been lapped. Definitely worth embedding it into the racing calendar: 10 miles is a good bridge between the 10k and half marathon races, and has the potential to be a 'gateway drug' to get people into distance running. This is a much kinder 10 miler than the Marathon Race Series course, and is well worth supporting.

I should also have mentioned that the goodie bag contained enough protein bars and drinks to supply an entire Antarctic expedition!

The results are now online:

http://www.myrunresults.com/events/battle_of_clontarf_10mile/180/results

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Forgot to mention the goody bag! Brilliant. 7 bars and 2 drinks. You can tell when these things are organised by runners for runners ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Not part of the overall organisation of this event but the people who set up the hog dog stand across from the stables was an absolute genius. Made €20 from me alone.

Great event and well organised. Goody Bags were excellent too.

Advertisement