Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card comprimised and wierd "conincidence"

• 24-03-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Can anyone offer advice here. Need a fresh pair of eyes on this.

I have a particular credit card that I haven't used in over 12 months. Because I haven't used the card in approx 12 months, it makes *any* charges on my statement very obvious.

Last week, I noticed 2 charges on my card. Both are for minor amounts but both for goods / services which I personally did not purchase. IE my card was compromised somehow and I'm trying to figure out how.

3 things occoured last week in relation to this card and I'm trying to figure out where the security hole might be.

1. I registered the card online for online banking and setup an online account.
    2. I added the credit card details to my 1Password application
    3. I added the credit card details to my PayPal account.

Its just too conincidental (to me) that a card which has not beeen used for 12 months suddenly gets compromised within 1 day or doing 1,2 and 3 above.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Ok, I got to the bottom of this.

One of the charges was PayPal. When you link a card to your PP account, they widthdraw (and refund) a small amount to check the card is active.

The second charge was from another similar company.

Drama over!

Advertisement