Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Story time with Mossym

Options
  • 24-03-2014 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

I have climbed out of the well only to kick Mossym down it!

Am I right in saying this is your first year coached, If so how are you finding it?
    What's the aim over the next 3 to 5 years, any targets or races you are building towards?
    What do you do for a living?
    What discipline do you like the most and the least of SBR?
    Favourite session?
    Black or white pudding?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I have climbed out of the well only to kick Mossym down it!

what have i let myself in for. ah well here goes .
    Am I right in saying this is your first year coached, If so how are you finding it?

it is indeed. last year was my first year racing tri, so not a huge amount of experience compared to some here. with a long hours job, lots of travel, and a family, training takes up a lot of the time that is left, and i didn't want to be wasting time on garbage sessions. Couple that with a tendency to push too hard on easy sessions and get hurt, so my thought process was that a coach would help maximise the return on sessions, and keep me honest pace wise, so i'd get teh best of returns

so far it's working well, although the niggles still seem to strike(nothing to do with the coach or the plan, a popped hamstring and a bunged knee due to bad cleat position i think). Results are showing it's working, run pace is much improved, as is swim. bike improving as well, although that was probably my stronger one all along. biggest change has been some structure to swim and run, before i just went for run of x time or distance, same for a swim. can now see the benefit of pace work, intervals, and taking things easy at times. it works
    What's the aim over the next 3 to 5 years, any targets or races you are building towards?

not quite as ambitious as some here, I've not got any eyes on Kona. next couple of years is focus on Olympic/half distance. hoping to do Lost Sheep in August, with a view to getting abroad for at least one warm weather 70.3 next year, most likely lanzarote, did a tri there last November and loved it. so either the IM 70.3, or the half distance length of the one i did. couple that with a few home based one, and the aim is to get comfortable racing 70.3, which i'd hope to stick with as max distance for a couple of years. See how that goes, and then maybe an IM. I'm not on any strict path to get there. ii like training, i like racing, and as long as that continues i'm not focused on the distance as such.
    What do you do for a living?

Degree in electronics, worked on the technical side for a Semiconductor company for 10 years, now moved to the business side in a Marketing role, but it's technical marketing.
    What discipline do you like the most and the least of SBR?

Like most: started as bike, but the simplicity of going for a run has really grown on me, plus the ability to fade away into your thoughts on a long run which you can't do on the bike
    Like least: i don;t dislike swimming, have always been into water based activities, ex scuba diver, wake boarder, water skiing, but from SBR perspective it's mentally tough, tough to improve, and tough to see. improvements.
    Favourite session?
    long run or long cycle. i'm not a speed merchant. i don't mind suffering. but i do like getting a return on a session, and always feel like i get more buzz froma 3/4 hour cycle or a 90 min run than i get form going fast over a shorter time
    Black or white pudding?

like both. no favorite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Polar v800 or Garmin Fenix 2?

Will BTLE *ever* go mainstream for sports devices?

Biggest thing coming in mobile devices?

tunney wrote: »
    Polar v800 or Garmin Fenix 2?

of those two, the polar. looks to me like they have a roadmap of things they want to do with, turning it into your connected fitness device. they've set it up as a platform to build around i thinki don;t see the same with the fenix. that said how polar build the business model. lots of individual charges, ala an apps store may not go down too well with people buying apps already on their phones. an android based system that allows app sharing with your phone might trump the too of them. and wouldn't you know it google have a wearables OS version.
    Will BTLE *ever* go mainstream for sports devices?

if it's going to, it's now. battrey power density became a hot topic with smartphones, when battery life dropped from days to a single day(sometimes less) with smartphones, but people accepted it becuase most people could leave the house and get home on a single charge that evening. if wearables take off, they are talking about 8 hours of battery life average on current use cases. power conservation is going to become so critical any lower power version of any common feature is going to start looking very attractive
    Biggest thing coming in mobile devices?

Wearables to date have sucked. big time. stagnating phone sales proabably rushed them to market short of killer features though. i expect that to change. Might take another year, but wearables will balloon i think. this was the first year at CES i saw a lot of people sporting Google Glass. it's not for me in it's current form, but i do see the potential.

probably should have added to Frans question above that i work in the consumer area of electronics, focused on tablets/smartphones and wearables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

mossym wrote: »

if it's going to, it's now. battrey power density became a hot topic with smartphones, when battery life dropped from days to a single day(sometimes less) with smartphones, but people accepted it becuase most people could leave the house and get home on a single charge that evening. if wearables take off, they are talking about 8 hours of battery life average on current use cases. power conservation is going to become so critical any lower power version of any common feature is going to start looking very attractive

Wearables to date have sucked. big time. stagnating phone sales proabably rushed them to market short of killer features though. i expect that to change. Might take another year, but wearables will balloon i think. this was the first year at CES i saw a lot of people sporting Google Glass. it's not for me in it's current form, but i do see the potential.

I work in the same company as mossym and every single word above has gone completely over my head except the word "power"

ok so...
    whats your best performance so far in a race?
    whats your most embarrassing incident so far in a race?
    whats your favourite race?
    sprint or Olympic in brian boru?
    whats your next upgrade? bike? runners? wetsuit?
    and for shotgun
    how long can you hold a plank for?
    and... how many press ups can you do in a row :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

UL? Tom Sorenson left a lasting effect? :pac:
    You going to race XTERRA this year? If so which distance?
    What are your 5k, 10k HM and marathon pbs?
    Favourite meal - 3 courses and plonk
    Boards relay team - you and 2 others. WHo would you pick for each discipline?

Trig1 wrote: »
    I work in the same company as mossym and every single word above has gone completely over my head except the word "power"

:)
    whats your best performance so far in a race?
    best tri, probably Castleconnell last year, still nothing to boast about but probably the most solid performance i've put in. Solid swim, solid bike(although athy bike was better) and reasonable run. put it this way though, lots of room for improvement this year.

best race: birdhill 10k in december. no watch, no idea what i was running, and a pb by several minutes over my last standalone 10k. was delighted with that.
    whats your most embarrassing incident so far in a race?

ocean lava in lanzarote. out on the bike, come around a tight right hander, and a really friendly policeman is waving hello. i wave back at him thinking this is a great place to race, and fly up the road, till the screams behind me make me realise friendly policeman was waving at me to tell me to turn right and i had just flown past him up the wrong road. rather meekish return path beaten

whats your favourite race?

from a limited few i've done: Ocean Lava. Sun, superbly organised, great location, savage course. it's made Lanza my goal 70.3 over the next couple of years

locally, i enjoyed castleconnell a lot this year, even though boru is even closer to me

"

whats your next upgrade? bike? runners? wetsuit?

i'ma bit ofa gadget/gear guy, always been that way. Even when i was diving, i tend to buy good gear as if i don't i just end up upgrading anyway. So, bike is new, not raced yet, so not that. Runners, new again, won one pair in a brooks competition at xmas, and have another pair from the brooks try it on campaign, plusa couple of other pairs. Wetsuit, have a nice blue seventy which i can't see changing.

next big purchase will most likely be a power meter. the engineer in my likes numbers, so working to power makes a lot of sense to me.

and for shotgun
    how long can you hold a plank for?
    and... how many press ups can you do in a row :D

i expected MCOS to be in with those, i didn't think you'd beat him to it. Anyway, i'm going to defer this one until tomorrow. Already done a core session tonight, and a good rolling session, so will hit these tomorrow and report back. press ups will be pitiful, i have never been any good at them

pgibbo wrote: »
    UL? Tom Sorenson left a lasting effect? :pac:

among others:). was there from 96 to 00
    You going to race XTERRA this year? If so which distance?

yup, thats the plan, although i won't be taking it too seriously. I can see the course out my bedroom window so be a shame not to. especially as i've been mountain biking way longer than i;ve been running/biking on the road
    What are your 5k, 10k HM and marathon pbs?

never run a 5k standalone, but strava puts my best 5k at 22.19. reasonably sure i could take something off that though

10k- 46:00. birdhill turkey run last december on a hilly course.

HM -1:57 in 30+ degrees heat last July in Killarney with no water. i'd guess based on paces that a <1:45 would be doable. hopefully more

Marathon, never run one. half idea of giving dublin a go this year depending on how lost sheep goes. if i come out of that injury free i may speak to coach about having a go at dublin
    Favourite meal - 3 courses and plonk
    tough one. if it has to be 3 courses my choice would seem simple
    Mussels in Garlic to start
    Blue/Rare Fillet
    Apple Crumble to finish
    an artesa (californian vineyard) Pinot Noir, or failing that a proper santa barbara pinot.

wine choice heavily influenced by having lived in California for 6 years. also, if it didn't have to be 3 courses, a good mexican, indian or Japanese Sushi/Sashimi would battle it out quite closely.

Boards relay team - you and 2 others. WHo would you pick for each discipline?

swim, mcos
    I'll take the bike as it's probably where i would do least damage to the team
    run- jb.

I would have been in some of your classes in UL so

I would have been in some of your classes in UL so

oh yeah? what were you doing there?

• Advertisement

Same course as you. I was in with the part-time group that was primarily Analog Devices heads. I used to commute down from Galway on Mondays & Thursdays with 2 other lads.

Wheelers was a regular haunt for brekkie on Mondays. :)

Same course as you. I was in with the part-time group that was primarily Analog Devices heads. I used to commute down from Galway on Mondays & Thursdays with 2 other lads.

Wheelers was a regular haunt for brekkie on Mondays. :)

ah, that Analog devices crowd. don't know how anyone ever ended up there. oh...wait....

that would have been 98/99 then? there was a big bunch of part time folks who came in to what was our third year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Damn you Trig!!

OK, how long can you hold a wheelie for on your Rockhopper?
    How far underwater can you swim?
    What does the wife make of the training and how do you balance family life?
    Can you eat a heaped tablespoon of cinnamon?
    How many burpees to fail can you do after reading this? :D
    Favourite TV sporting event?
    Last book you read?
    Chocolate or crisps?
    Current top 3 bucket list events?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Mossym. :)

What is your sporting background? And how did it lead you to triathlon?
    Have you ever done a mud run/obstacle course? If so, how did you find it? If not, have you any interest?
    Where does your user name, Mossym, come from?
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how competitive do you rate your personality with 10 being most competitive?
    Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where and of what?
    What is the craziest thing you've ever done?
    What is the craziest thing you want to do but haven't done yet?
    How did you find living in California? And what are the most striking characteristics of the people in California?
    Do you snore?
    What kind of music do you listen to? What musical artist or group have you seen the most number of times live? And how many times live have you seen that group?
    What one word would you use to describe each of the following three logs: 1) "Rookie's diary part two", 2) "Another winter morning ergo: The last log", and 3) "The Five Year Plan - Year 2"?
    What one log is your go-to log that you never miss reading?

sprint or Olympic in brian boru?

forgot this one. olympic. presuming you mean the ennis run one later in the summer, the boru tri club one in june is sprint only i believe

has to be the olympic, did that last year, got my ass handed to me by the course. have a score to settle with it big time

OK, how long can you hold a wheelie for on your Rockhopper?

that one's simple. cannot do a wheelie. tried to learn to do them as a kid, never mastered it, and still not able
    How far underwater can you swim?

right now, probably 30 to 34m(two lengths of my local 17m pool at one point in time i could do 50m underwater. that was back when i was doing a lot of snorkelling/diving
    What does the wife make of the training and how do you balance family life?

the answer is getting a bit cliched, but i'm a lucky man to have such an understanding wife. I guess since she has known me i've always had some hobby that has consumed me, and had me gone a lot. first it was football, then it was diving, now it's training. she's not into sports/training in any way, which makes it bit harder, so it's a case of trying to make sure there is family time as well. she sees the positive effect it has on my life, healthier, not as heavy(at my highest she was starting to suggest losing weight might be a good thing, she didn't envisage this though), and most importantly, stress levels are way lower.

it is a careful balance, i know i'm at the point now where it's about as much time as i can put in without it getting to be too much, so i'm managing it carefully. runs are done at lunchtime where possible. Swims are pre work. Cycles are after the little one goes to bed.

it's better now that it was, up until november i was doing an MBA for the previous two years. Lump work, 20 to 30 hours study, and them some training on top of family life and see what is left.
    Can you eat a heaped tablespoon of cinnamon?

nope. i like a light dusting of cinnamon on porridge or apple pie(at times), but not really a fan. no way i could eat a tablespoon
    Damn you Trig!!

How many burpees to fail can you do after reading this? :D

i'll add that to the to do list, not sure the guys in the cubes around me would appreciate me trying now:)
    Damn you Trig!!
    Favourite TV sporting event?

big football/rugby fan, but will watch any sport. for the sheer scale, and variety,i'll say the olympics, closely followed by the world cup. London 2012 was an incredible spectacle.

since i started cycling though i've gotten into watching the pro races. Love watching the spring classics and the TDF now
    Last book you read?

last book i finished was Dance with dragons, the most recent book in the Game of thrones series. most recent book i am reading is Armageddon by mak hastings, about the final battle for germany 44/45. Bit of a WW2 nut.

Chocolate or crisps?

chocalate:)
    Current top 3 bucket list events?

ignoring anything to do with distance, as would have to consider the IM/not doing an im then, but jsut picking based on what i think are the most appealing races regardless of distance:

Norseman (come on, that ferry jump is just awesome, as is the finish)
    Escape From Alcatraz (triathlon from one of the most well known prisons/islands, which happens to be near where i lived for quite some time, hell yeah)
    IM Lanzarote (love lanzarote, been there a few times and always enjoyed it more than a lot of sun spots, and i;ve been to Hawaii/Cayman Islands, so the idea of doing a long race around the island appeals to me)

probably different to what the norm is either for reasons or the race. the other one that appeals is Otillo in sweden, have family over there and like Sweden, so that one could be pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

otillo.. had never heard of it , looks class, have family (in laws) in sweden too, was hoping to do the itu race in stockholm this year but cant hire a bike anywhere ( too expensive to bring one ) what about kalmar ...any interest

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi Mossym. :)

Hi Dory:)

What is your sporting background? And how did it lead you to triathlon?

played a lot of football(soccer) growing up. underage, junior level. moved to teh states directly after college, kept playing over there(at one stage for 5 different teams, 6 matches a week). took up snowboarding in a big way, wakeboarding, and scuba diving. Moved back to Ireland in 2006, haven't snowboarded since, but kept scuba diving until i had a couple of medical incidents including a trip in the decompression chamber in galway. Played inter firms football for a couple of years after moving back. but by 2010/11 i was doing nothing, save a bit of mountain biking round ballyhoura. Weight balooned up, was 215 to 220lbs at one stage. the summer between the two years of the mba we had a summer off. Went from 4 hours study a night to nothing. Couldn;t remember what i did with my time, so decided to start running. Never looked back. one sunny sunday, had run on the saturday, wanted to do something in the sun, dragged the mountain bike out of the shed and went for what i thought was a monumental spin on the mtb, 2 hours to cover 35 k or something like that. road bike was bought a month or two later, and as i was now biking and running, had grown up on the side of a lake swimming and was very comfortable in the water, tri was a logical step. It was something that had appealed to me for years though
    Have you ever done a mud run/obstacle course? If so, how did you find it? If not, have you any interest?
    no, never done one, but not against the idea, however i'm not a big fan of teh really comercially run ones that jsut get people to roll around in the muck and charge lots of money for it. something like the turfguy race would appeal to me though
    Where does your user name, Mossym, come from?

first name maurice often gets shortened to mossy in ireland. i was signing up for hotmail or some other service back in the early days of the web(mid 90's) and mossy was gone as a username so i took the first initial of my surname and added it and mossym just stuck from there

On a scale of 1 to 10, how competitive do you rate your personality with 10 being most competitive?

more compeitive with myself than with other, i think, but everyone that knows me will tell you i'm ultra competitive. call it an 8 so.
    Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where and of what?

nope, no tattoos, not likely to either. don;t appeal to me

What is the craziest thing you've ever done?

probably some of the stuff we got up to snowboarding. boards off at the top of a ski lift, hiking for a couple of hours higher up mountains, well off-piste, and then jumping off the top of some very high drops. i remember coming down a chute between two rock faces one day, having to get strapped into the board while moving and before you went over the edge of a 20foot vertial drop. it was too steep to get strapped in while stopped, and if you didn't get strapped in in time and went over the edge not locked onto the board you were in big trouble. that was lump in throat time
    What is the craziest thing you want to do but haven't done yet?

good question. might not seem crazy to most here, but probably an IM, think how crazy it looks if you're not into tri. my family thought what i did in lanzarote was crazy as they were there to see it.

only other thing i can think of is start my own business. definitely something i would like to do some day. i need to right idea first though, have something in mind but it needs work(it's 100% non sport related)
    How did you find living in California? And what are the most striking characteristics of the people in California?

loved it. moved there in 2000, r3 days after my final college exam. have a lot of family over there, aunts/uncles, so it's almost a family rite of passage to move there. moved there right as the dot com bust happened but lucked out and got a job. My wife(wasn't at the time) came with me, we'd started dating in college. She thoguht we were going for a year, i thought we were going for good. 6 years was the compromise .:)

at teh age i went, it was superb, were gone every weekend on one of the sports i listed above, or something else. lived it up to the max. that's probably what i loved most about californians, the attitude that to be doing something was normal, sitting around having a quiet weekend meant you were crazy, almost a mirror image of Ireland when i left it(it's changed a bit now). that does tend to grate on you a bit as you get older though
    Do you snore?

Yes. At least i am told i do. Not regularily though
    Do you snore?
    What kind of music do you listen to? What musical artist or group have you seen the most number of times live? And how many times live have you seen that group?

everything. right now i am listening to a classical compilation album. i;m a big fan of 90's dance music, especially trance (think gatecrasher, MOS, cream, that sort of thing). also equally into rock/alternative music. My other big passion is home cinema/audio, so i listen to a lot of music. google my username with home cinema after it and you'll see what took all my money before i started spending it on bikes :)

i;ve seen U2 7/8 times, but that was mainly while living in the US, and i'm not sure i would go see them again. have seen springsteen and arcade fire a few times each, and both of them are spectacular concerts.

o
    What one word would you use to describe each of the following three logs: 1) "Rookie's diary part two", 2) "Another winter morning ergo: The last log", and 3) "The Five Year Plan - Year 2"?

you'll get me in trouble here:)

1) Hunger
    2) Divergent
    3) Brave

What one log is your go-to log that you never miss reading?

this year, mcos. jsut because it's something so different from the norm and he's dabbling in things i know nothing about, which makes it fascinating to see the training/effort that goes in . Bambatta and Fazz a close second as they're at the opposite end of the spear to me and i like seeing what effort that takes

woody1 wrote: »
    otillo.. had never heard of it , looks class, have family (in laws) in sweden too, was hoping to do the itu race in stockholm this year but cant hire a bike anywhere ( too expensive to bring one ) what about kalmar ...any interest

if i was going to do a non sun island european IM(i.e. not Mallorca or lanzarote) it would be the IM at Kalmar i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Talk to Griffin1000 about Otillo, he has been looking for someone for years to do that race with him

Favourite Movie Character?
    Favourite Scene from a movie?
    Not too many Slices around the race scene here - what pushed you towards it?
    Any time goal for the Lost Sheep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »
    Talk to Griffin1000 about Otillo, he has been looking for someone for years to do that race with him

:D I've mentioned it to a few people over the years who I thought might be up for it and they have all looked at me like I was mad!!

Have to say, this thread has been very useful for me. I have the chance of doing an MBA this year with work covering the fees and I am sort of tempted but your description of the amount of work involved is putting me off, so thanks for that ;)

Those snowboarding trips sound awesome. Some greet off piste in Chamonix if you're ever looking for a fix :cool:
    Best place you've ever boarded?
    Ever skied/boarded in Europe? If so, how do they compare?
    Have you ever skied?
    What sports will you encourage the little one to do?
    Your top 10 albums?
    Dream holiday?
    5 people you'd have around for dinner and why?

otillo would be a long term thing, not for this year or next. :o
    Favourite Movie Character?

joker in Dark knight. Ledger made him all sort of messed up
    Favourite Scene from a movie?

opening beach scene from Saving Private Ryan. as i said, but of a ww2 nut, and while i'm sure the reality was a hundred times worse it gave some indication what hell those guys went through
    Not too many Slices around the race scene here - what pushed you towards it?

walking around the tri in lanzarote last november got a chance to look at a lot of bikes, even the pro's. there was lots of cervelos, and lots of slices

local shop being able to get them narrowed down the choice to those two, was a toss up between the cervelo and the slice, but then everyone fast has a cervelo so i went with the slice:)

component wise not a lot between them(the 105 versions that is), so for my level i think the slice will do just fine. happy out with it so far anwyay
    Any time goal for the Lost Sheep?

good question. been putting off really thinking about that till after kilkee, (haven't figured that one either), and it needs a discussion with coach. i'd be very happy with:

35 to 37 swim
    3 hour bike
    1hr 50 hm

so finger in the air goal of 5:30. that could go either way by june though..:)

griffin100 wrote: »
    :D I've mentioned it to a few people over the years who I thought might be up for it and they have all looked at me like I was mad!!

Have to say, this thread has been very useful for me. I have the chance of doing an MBA this year with work covering the fees and I am sort of tempted but your description of the amount of work involved is putting me off, so thanks for that ;)

don;t let me put you off. Was it a lot of work. hell yes. it should be. did it impact life. hell yes. in a huge way. no way to avoid that, you hit it head on or don't even start.

was it worth it. hell yes. different person after it. one of hte toughest but most rewarding things i've done. knowing what it is like now, would i make the same decision? Yes

Those snowboarding trips sound awesome. Some greet off piste in Chamonix if you're ever looking for a fix :cool:
    Best place you've ever boarded?
    Ever skied/boarded in Europe? If so, how do they compare?
    ?

only ever boarded Lake Tahoe, but done most of the resorts there. It was 3 hour drive from where we lived, so we did 30ish days a season boarding. Kirkwood was our regular back yard

funny, but this is the first year since i've moved home that i have missed not boarding and i'm already 90% decided to head somewhere next winter
    Have you ever skied?

yup, first winter in the US i skied only. Very different learning curve. you'll move straight away on ski's, but very slowly, and getting better takes a lot.

takes a lot to get moving on a board, but once you do, you can get good very very fast
    What sports will you encourage the little one to do?

don't think i will pressure her in to doing anything, but i will make sure she can swim as soon as possible. one because we live 100m from the shannon, so there is a safety aspect, but mainly because being able to swim opens up so many sports for you, and not being able to can shut you out of stuff.
    Your top 10 albums?

definitely going to forget some here, and not in any order but,

Ten -Pearl Jam
    Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Red Album - Gatecrasher
    Set List - Bellx1
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Suede-Suede
    REM Out of time
    Pink Floyd DSOTM
    Sigur Ros - Takk
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
    Dream Holiday?

been lucky in that with work i've been a lot of places, been all over asia multiple times, japan > 30 times, korea, china all done. Been all over the US. a lot of europe. Living in California meant we got to Hawaii. been to the Caribbean, (Caymans on honeymoon).

either a cruise off one of the icecaps. or a beachfront hotel in the Caribbean. one i could walk out the patio of the hotel right onto the sand and into the water for a pre breakfast swim

5 people you'd have around for dinner and why?

again will likely change my mind on some of these by evening, but the first 3 at least are solid
    Churchill - fascinating character, the right man in the right place who most likely would have been the wrong man in any other place
    Jobs - would like to see if all that's written was true, plus fascinating mind
    Roy Keane - for the no BS view
    Clinton - reckon he's an interesting guy
    Scorcese - love his work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey Mossy,

Money no issue whats your dream bike and set up?

Which power meter are you looking at possibly buying??

Your getting coached this year, do you think the main benefit of the coaching is the planned structured sessions or the fact you have someone to answer to if you miss a session, making it harder to skip one??

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey Mossy,

Money no issue whats your dream bike and set up?

TT: a P5, set of zipps, Di2 duraace
    Road bike. Not sure, but probably a colnago c60
    Hey Mossy,

Which power meter are you looking at possibly buying??

undecided as of yet. i want one that allows me to easily move between bikes with different BB, allows me to switch between deep rim and training wheels whenever i want, and is rock solid. so still looking..:)
    Hey Mossy,
    Your getting coached this year, do you think the main benefit of the coaching is the planned structured sessions or the fact you have someone to answer to if you miss a session, making it harder to skip one??

Yes. :)

it'sa bit of both, but mainly the planned structure, and as importantly the consistency in training. some of the days are easy, some are harder, before everything was the same. don't think i could have got to the volume i am doing now if i had kept going the way i was, and that volume consistently really seems to be helping.

expectations about time and sessions was all part of the early discussions. having a family, travelling internationally, job was all going to impact on training, so not every session was going to get done. it does help that someone is there to answer to, but if you have to miss a session you have to miss it. One of the best things we discussed was missing a session to spend time with family made a lot of sense. missing one because i was tired or lazy didn't. That stuck. if i look back at the last few months, apart from injury i think i;ve missed very few sessions (did them at least, did them to the level described is another debate), so i'm excited to see what the season brings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

A lot of love for the P5 on here, think most people have picked that as their bike.

Mind me asking who your getting coached by? Seem to have found a good match for what you are looking for.

When are you planning the Lanzarote 70.3 for?? Been looking at a few myself for the next few seasons and it's one that keeps coming up.

A lot of love for the P5 on here, think most people have picked that as their bike.

Mind me asking who your getting coached by? Seem to have found a good match for what you are looking for.

When are you planning the Lanzarote 70.3 for?? Been looking at a few myself for the next few seasons and it's one that keeps coming up.

Lanza 70.3 next year. either the IM or back for the Ocean Lava. the ocean lava as a smaller race in November has an awful lot going for it. Heading out of the cold and rain for a week in the sun with a cracking race to enjoy is tough to beat. i'm sure the IM branded race is top notch as well, Eddie did that one and loved it.

the training you are doing would be no bother for you. The other advantage of OL is that so late in the season it does nothing to hurt target races, so even if you just do it for fun you can get a lot out of it. also stretches out the season nicely, sept in ireland is very early to be finishing:)

will pm you on the other question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You mention dura ace Di2....but don't forget about the ultegra Di2. I did my research and asked a few bike gurus here on boards about both prior to purchasing my bike, and it was unanimous to go with the ultegra. Even my bike shop felt the additional money for the dura ace was a waste when compared to the ultegra.

Advertisement