Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Story time with Mossym

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You mention dura ace Di2....but don't forget about the ultegra Di2. I did my research and asked a few bike gurus here on boards about both prior to purchasing my bike, and it was unanimous to go with the ultegra. Even my bike shop felt the additional money for the dura ace was a waste when compared to the ultegra.

the question was money no issue though. i preusme i jsut spec the bike and someone hands it to me. why not take the dura ace then :)

realistically though, agree totally, if i was spending my money i'd never pay for the dura ace. i have ultegra di2 on my road bike and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

What is your most prized possession besides your bikes!!
    What is your ultimate goal in tri? a win? podium? top ten?
    If you had all the time in the world to train and the best of equipment and coaches how high do you reckon you could finish in Irelands premier triathlon ....HOTW :D
    Have you any plans of competing in national series?

podium in Worlds End castleconnell or Top ten in a national series race- which would you prefer?

same for Brian Boru Olympic!

oh and ....how fast can you currently run 1 single km flat out (after a decent warm up and stretching) :p

Trig1 wrote: »
    What is your most prized possession besides your bikes!!

In answering this I presume we’re leaving family aside. They’d obviously be top:)

My home cinema setup.
    What is your ultimate goal in tri? a win? podium? top ten?

That’s a tough one for me to answer. The only result I look at in honesty in a tri is my own time. I’ll look at where it ranks, but it doesn’t really bother me. My main concern is am I doing better. A top ten would be nice . given where I am now is it a realistic goal? Don’t think so. Will revisit that maybe the end of the season. My ultimate goal is to get faster and stronger, and have a hell of a lot of fun doing it. see how hard i can push myself before i start to plateau

Might not sit well with the competitive here. But having come to endurance sports for the first time at 35 it’s where I’m at.
    If you had all the time in the world to train and the best of equipment and coaches how high do you reckon you could finish in Irelands premier triathlon ....HOTW :D

How long is a piece of string? Never been a speed merchant, even playing football, so with guys who can go nearly flat out for the full thing I’ll struggle, even with all the training in the world. I’d like to think top 10 to 15% was doable.

Have you any plans of competing in national series?

None really, it was in the back of my head for a while, then I decided did I want to race the local races or be travelling to distant races cause they were NS. Local trumped. Seeing the top in action at a couple of races, HOTW and Lost sheep is enough for me

podium in Worlds End castleconnell or Top ten in a national series race- which would you prefer?

same for Brian Boru Olympic!

Podium in both cases, despite what I said above:). doing well locally would mean more than a race miles away, podium or not
    oh and ....how fast can you currently run 1 single km flat out (after a decent warm up and stretching) :p

it’s hard bike day, so you’ll only get a guess at this for now. Somewhere in the 3.xx range 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Did you get the pm I sent you?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Did you get the pm I sent you?

i did now, got the email notification on my phone while out and never got back to it, cheers for that!!

• Advertisement

n
    how long can you hold a plank for?
    and... how many press ups can you do in a row :D

plank: 3min 40

pushups: miserable 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Hi Mossym! :)

I love reading these threads, so I'm going to ask a few random questions.

Favourite fruit?
    What's your go-to easy recovery meal?
    Do you play video games at all? If so, what console/game of choice?
    G'wan, gimme a taster of the home cinema setup.. bit of a geek on it myself! ;)
    Mac or PC??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Do you have a NAS? If so which one?

You mentioned power benefits of BTLE? Is it more energy sparing than ANT+?

johnk123 wrote: »
    Hi Mossym! :)
    I love reading these threads, so I'm going to ask a few random questions.
    Favourite fruit?
    hey there
    blueberries.
    What's your go-to easy recovery meal?

love my shakes as quick and easy to get in after a workout, pint of milk, some frozen fruit, and either peanut butterand a banana or some kinetica recovery all blended together. anything over a couple of hours or a really tough session and i'll have one of these straight after coming in the door
    Do you play video games at all? If so, what console/game of choice?

played a good bit of xbox up until i started the mba. not played a lot since. was a big COD fan

G'wan, gimme a taster of the home cinema setup.. bit of a geek on it myself! ;

IMG_3326_zps13e52386.jpg

IMG_3338_zps58930758.jpg

IMG_3325_zpsd60940b1.jpg
    Mac or PC??

PC. never took to mac at all. have done some messing around with Linux alright

tunney wrote: »
    Do you have a NAS? If so which one?

You mentioned power benefits of BTLE? Is it more energy sparing than ANT+?

i've a home built NAS. it's based on unraid (http://lime-technology.com/) and is a pretty flexible solution that allows you to add drives/replace failures as needed. right now i think i'm running about 8tb of storage, but will likely need to add another drive soon.

installed twonky server on it so that every connected device in the house can play back all the media on it. works well

i think it will lend itself to consumer applications more. Nothing beats an installed user base in consumer stuff. it's an issue i deal with every day. your message to consumer manufacturers becomes so much easier once you;ve reached critical mass of users.

your earlier question revolved around sports devices, but i think the lines between sports devices and consumer smart gear is going to blur pretty soon. look at the v800 device, that's the first in a long line to come i reckon.

let me throw a use case to show what i mean. 3 middle aged housewives out walking, hit a button on their watch and all of a sudden their facebook page gets updated with "out power walking with x and y, we just burned 300 calories, wahoo!!. think of some of the automatic updates you see from tracking programs on twitter/facebook and it's not far removed. so far it's been limited to the sports enthusiasts, but once samsung/apple/sony release cheap smartwatches with that functionality it will take on a new level

i know where you're coming from, and technically you are right, and it's the technical reasons that have kept ant+ prevalent for those seriously into sport for some time now. once it goes into the mainstream though, technical superiority doesn't always see out, and the ease of use will win through, plus the installed base of bluetooth devices.

look at betamax, hd-dvd. superior technologies that got outdone by market momentum. my bet is something similar happening here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mossym wrote: »
    look at betamax, hd-dvd. superior technologies that got outdone by market momentum. my bet is something similar happening here

You mentioned V800 (twice now) so I was bound to pop in.

Apart from the product / brand loyalties I assumed that BTLE is the superior comms channel that just hasn't realised its potential yet.

Are you saying BTLE is similar vein as betamax etc? Or that ANT+ is now in that dying space?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Very jealous of that set up Mossym. That is one beast of a sub woofer. Where's the centre speaker? In the cabinet or behind the screen?

Used to have a fairly decent 5.0 system with floorstanders but they got put in to storage in new house a few years ago as the wife wouldn't let me set up the room the way it needed to be to carry on using them.

Finally got around a few weeks ago to them replacing with a more discrete Wharfedale dx-1 hcp5.1 system. I'm actually very impressed with them. New 50" Panasonic doesn't hurt either. Hopefully some day we'll build an extension and I'll get to set up the sitting room as a home cinema.

Top 3 movies in no particular order?
    Favorite current TV series?

hey there
    blueberries.

love my shakes as quick and easy to get in after a workout, pint of milk, some frozen fruit, and either peanut butterand a banana or some kinetica recovery all blended together. anything over a couple of hours or a really tough session and i'll have one of these straight after coming in the door

played a good bit of xbox up until i started the mba. not played a lot since. was a big COD fan

IMG_3326_zps13e52386.jpg

IMG_3338_zps58930758.jpg

IMG_3325_zpsd60940b1.jpg

PC. never took to mac at all. have done some messing around with Linux alright

How the hell have you a carpet that colour with a small kid????
    Where are the hand prints on the telly?
    Jam on walls?????

AKW wrote: »

Apart from the product / brand loyalties I assumed that BTLE is the superior comms channel that just hasn't realised its potential yet.

Are you saying BTLE is similar vein as betamax etc? Or that ANT+ is now in that dying space?

No. He is saying that ANT+ is technically superior but because of the widespread adoption of BTLE (phones, computers, tablets etc) that the inferior solution will win.

I don't think BTLE will ever "win" at the high end sports side of thing but Fatty Mac Fat Fat going for a lunch walk with her mates will use it.

An analogy would be MP3 versus FLAC.
    One is vastly superior quality but I'd imagine most have mp3s ecoded at 100kbps and don't know nor care that they are sh1t compared to a flac or even a 320kbps mp3.

the question asked was would it btle be adopted into sports equipment, and i guess my, and it's only my, view is that it likely will be because sports equipment aimed at the casual user is going to take off in a big way, as it's a natural fit for wearables.

the other question is whether its a better technology than ant+. in my eyes that is a completely different question, and is likely to play a relatively minor role in deciding to adopt into sports equipment or not. once the sports equipment moves out of being a niche market aimed at those taking training seriously, and moves into mainstream devices, other factors come into play immediately. simple pairing to a phone for a data connection will be a key factor. even if every phone adopter put ant+ into their next phone, look at the massive install base of iphones with bluetooth already. if you were apple, and wanted to sell as many of them as you can, then wouldn't you cater to those who already own a phone?

i'm happy to talk about the technical merits of both(probably have to back and look at the specs to refresh my memory, but the more think about it the more i think the adoption question can be seperated from the technically superior question

the question asked was would it btle be adopted into sports equipment, and i guess my, and it's only my, view is that it likely will be because sports equipment aimed at the casual user is going to take off in a big way, as it's a natural fit for wearables.

the other question is whether its a better technology than ant+. in my eyes that is a completely different question, and is likely to play a relatively minor role in deciding to adopt into sports equipment or not. once the sports equipment moves out of being a niche market aimed at those taking training seriously, and moves into mainstream devices, other factors come into play immediately. simple pairing to a phone for a data connection will be a key factor. even if every phone adopter put ant+ into their next phone, look at the massive install base of iphones with bluetooth already. if you were apple, and wanted to sell as many of them as you can, then wouldn't you cater to those who already own a phone?

i'm happy to talk about the technical merits of both(probably have to back and look at the specs to refresh my memory, but the more think about it the more i think the adoption question can be seperated from the technically superior question

So basically polar are sh1t :)

To be honest the way forward is dual broadcasting

No. He is saying that ANT+ is technically superior but because of the widespread adoption of BTLE (phones, computers, tablets etc) that the inferior solution will win.

I don't think BTLE will ever "win" at the high end sports side of thing but Fatty Mac Fat Fat going for a lunch walk with her mates will use it.

An analogy would be MP3 versus FLAC.
    One is vastly superior quality but I'd imagine most have mp3s ecoded at 100kbps and don't know nor care that they are sh1t compared to a flac or even a 320kbps mp3.

this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Favourite Disney movie? Aladdin? :-P:-);-)

Ryath wrote: »
    Very jealous of that set up Mossym. That is one beast of a sub woofer. Where's the centre speaker? In the cabinet or behind the screen?

Used to have a fairly decent 5.0 system with floorstanders but they got put in to storage in new house a few years ago as the wife wouldn't let me set up the room the way it needed to be to carry on using them.

Finally got around a few weeks ago to them replacing with a more discrete Wharfedale dx-1 hcp5.1 system. I'm actually very impressed with them. New 50" Panasonic doesn't hurt either. Hopefully some day we'll build an extension and I'll get to set up the sitting room as a home cinema.

Top 3 movies in no particular order?
    Favorite current TV series?

Inception, Saving Private Ryan, Godfather II. middle of the road choices i know....

current tv series? Band of brothers was the single best thing, movie or film, ever to be put on a screen, but i guess by current you mean still running.

breaking bad is good but seriously overrated.

Game of Thrones, but I'm a big fan of the books

that or Mad men.

center speaker is behind the black fabric in the unit. all the equipment is in it, all the panels swing down. designed it myself .;)

How the hell have you a carpet that colour with a small kid????
    Where are the hand prints on the telly?
    Jam on walls?????

she only goes in there for movies, brings in her popcorn and sweets, and sits on the chair. that gets the sticky hand prints, but it is easily cleaned. she knows it's daddy's room. the other room has wooden floors:)

and there is no telly. :)

• Advertisement

Favourite Disney movie? Aladdin? :-P:-);-)

wall-e or up. think i had aladdin on for the little one the night i took the pics

opening 30 mins of wall-e was superb. pity they had to start talking. went downhill then

opening montage in up is a brilliant piece of story telling

To be honest the way forward is dual broadcasting

i think the mainstream devices will go btle only.

i think the serious pieces will go dual broadcasting because they will have to. it's already happening. look at stages among others

current tv series? Band of brothers was the single best thing, movie or film, ever to be put on a screen, but i guess by current you mean still running.

breaking bad is good but seriously overrated.

Game of Thrones, but I'm a big fan of the books

that or Mad men.

Game of Thrones would be my fav only reason I kept sky for a good while. I stay behind on the books till I watch the TV episodes

You watching True Detective? Really enjoying it myself

center speaker is behind the black fabric in the unit. all the equipment is in it, all the panels swing down. designed it myself .wink.png

Looks good hard to find decent av units that don't cost silly money. Custom is often cheaper.
    Getting a cabinet maker to build a an AV unit my self at the minute. Getting him to build a frame to hang the tv so there is room to sit the speakers on the unit below.

i think the mainstream devices will go btle only.

i think the serious pieces will go dual broadcasting because they will have to. it's already happening. look at stages among others

a sponsorship of sky does not make something serious

a sponsorship of sky does not make something serious

agreed, but they back up your dual broadcasting point so go easy on them:)

agreed, but they back up your dual broadcasting point so go easy on them:)

but they are a power meter.... that measures from one leg.....

but they are a power meter.... that measures from one leg.....

given the number of cyclist as a % of the population
    and then the number of PM equipped cyclists as a % of the overall,

i'd say PM's are well outside the realm of the average person, even the average cyclist, and as such are more for the serious cyclists.

now whether a PM stacks up when you drill down into the population of PM's is a different matter.

this is actually a topic that has come up over on the cycling forum quite a bit, but i;d love to get the thoughts of the guys here who have been training specifically for tri , not just about stages, but on wheel based systems as well, and how that affects training/racing on windy days and so on. a good idea for a thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Google Glass. it's not for me in it's current form, but i do see the potential.

do you see the poyential for marketing for google ( which i think could be a real game changer) or as a useful device ?

of those two, the polar. looks to me like they have a roadmap of things they want to do with, turning it into your connected fitness device. they've set it up as a platform to build around i thinki don;t see the same with the fenix. that said how polar build the business model. lots of individual charges, ala an apps store may not go down too well with people buying apps already on their phones. an android based system that allows app sharing with your phone might trump the too of them. and wouldn't you know it google have a wearables OS version.

if it's going to, it's now. battrey power density became a hot topic with smartphones, when battery life dropped from days to a single day(sometimes less) with smartphones, but people accepted it becuase most people could leave the house and get home on a single charge that evening. if wearables take off, they are talking about 8 hours of battery life average on current use cases. power conservation is going to become so critical any lower power version of any common feature is going to start looking very attractive

Wearables to date have sucked. big time. stagnating phone sales proabably rushed them to market short of killer features though. i expect that to change. Might take another year, but wearables will balloon i think. this was the first year at CES i saw a lot of people sporting Google Glass. it's not for me in it's current form, but i do see the potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You're not training enough if you have time to watch movies in your cinema :pac: Class room. Kudos :cool:

I'd say Gladiator is impressive on that screen

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    You're not training enough if you have time to watch movies in your cinema :pac: Class room. Kudos :cool:

I'd say Gladiator is impressive on that screen

Combine the two, would be a good setup for sufferfest videos must try it myself.

Advertisement