Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Story time with Mossym

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ryath wrote: »
    Combine the two, would be a good setup for sufferfest videos must try it myself.

Off topic - but Ryath - with a name like that are you a Raymond E Feist fan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

peter kern wrote: »
    Google Glass. it's not for me in it's current form, but i do see the potential.

do you see the poyential for marketing for google ( which i think could be a real game changer) or as a useful device ?

absolutely. google are a data driven company. if you've ever looked at how they got where they are, most of their biggest decisions came because they had access to the most comprehensive collection of data ever assembled. they are the ultimate data driven company. they track everything.

so they have a new technology. no-one is quite sure what it deosn, where it will go, how users will use it, how often they'll wear it, what 3rd parties developers will make for it. how will others in the industry react, make use of it.

so how does a data driven company find out the answers? Get data. get a load of them out in the wild, let users go nuts with them, but collect every smidgen of data they can.

once they have the data, they'll be miles ahead of samsung or apple or anyone else that tries to follow up cause they will know more about the technology than anyone else. the others will be trying to predict what users will do. Google will know. superb execution

pgibbo wrote: »
    You're not training enough if you have time to watch movies in your cinema :pac: Class room. Kudos :cool:

I'd say Gladiator is impressive on that screen

not a question:D,

but honestly, the usage has gone done from almost nightly to once a week on average in the last year over the mba/training period. i did for one crazy week have the turbo in there. epic:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

catweazle wrote: »
    Off topic - but Ryath - with a name like that are you a Raymond E Feist fan?

Hey this isn't getting to know Ryath :p

Impressed you know as far as I can remember the name is only used once in all his books. I have used it online long before I signed up to boards. It's been a long time since I read some of them. He would have been a favorite at one point reread The Magican and his first few books a couple of times when I was much younger.

Have read all his Riftwar books over the years they're ok but not as good as the early ones, though just checking now I haven't read the last 3. will probably get them just for completeness. Must go back a read The Magician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ryath wrote: »
    Hey this isn't getting to know Ryath :p

Impressed you know as far as I can remember the name is only used once in all his books. I have used it online long before I signed up to boards. It's been a long time since I read some of them. He would have been a favorite at one point reread The Magican and his first few books a couple of times when I was much younger.

Have read all his Riftwar books over the years they're ok but not as good as the early ones, though just checking now I haven't read the last 3. will probably get them just for completeness. Must go back a read The Magician.

I only reread the Magician there myself recently and thats why I twigged it - I downloaded it for the young lad, who is only 2 so it will be a while before he gets to it so I said I would take a peek of a chapter or two and promptly got sucked in again. But definitely my favourite series of books, I read the Darkness at Sethanon in not much more than a day.

I just checked to see where I was with them and christ he has a lot out since my day - read the Empire Trilogy and a few of his spin offs focusing on certain charcters eg Jimmy the Hand I think and didnt like it as much and sex drugs and rock and roll stymied any future reading

Perhaps I might download a few more for the holidays - I read too many non fiction and i haven't much interest in crime, romance novels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Love the setup, planning something similar in the new house.

What setup should i be looking at?
    What is the projector quality like compared to LCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I love how it's such a grown up man's room but with Aladdin on :-)

Love the setup, planning something similar in the new house.

What setup should i be looking at?
    What is the projector quality like compared to LCD?

really depends on what you want JB. do you want a room that is obviously an AV setup? or something that's hidden until in use?

Projector or TV is probably biggest choice. if it's going to be an all day room, then tv is probably a better bet, kids can come in and switch it on during the day, daylight washes out the projector and you need alight controlled room. If it's more of a nighttime/movie type room, nothing beats the bang of a projector. also depends on source, if it's mainly satellite SD channels, blowing them up to >100" on a projector can look poor, HD or movies though look great on a projector.

i've a fixed screen, but you can get electric which will hide the screen when not in use. Speakers comes down to how much of the room you want them to take over. the ones i have are big, but they're pretty high end and they're the ones i wanted for years.

lastly, it comes down to how much you want to pay. all in one systems are cheap, but you get what you pay for. a solid system can be done for not a huge amount of money, or you can go really top end.

you're welcome to a demo of mine when you're down for cutra if you want. also happy to help out when you're picking a system .

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hi Mossym,

favorite restaurant?
    favorite holiday resort?
    money no object car?
    money no object motorbike?
    if the little one was to excel in any sport what sport would you like that to be?

oh and by the way, raaaaaaapid entertainment room/man cave!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hi mossym

Have you ever fallen off your bike?
    Do you swim in the lake during the summer?
    Do u use the lake for any other activities like kayaking or sailing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I only reread the Magician there myself recently and thats why I twigged it - I downloaded it for the young lad, who is only 2 so it will be a while before he gets to it so I said I would take a peek of a chapter or two and promptly got sucked in again. But definitely my favourite series of books, I read the Darkness at Sethanon in not much more than a day.

And I thought I was being ambitious buying all of The Chronicles of Narnia for my daughter at 3! She's 6 now and already loves reading so should be ready for it next year.
    I just checked to see where I was with them and christ he has a lot out since my day - read the Empire Trilogy and a few of his spin offs focusing on certain charcters eg Jimmy the Hand I think and didnt like it as much and sex drugs and rock and roll stymied any future reading
    Most of them are still pretty good odd one is a bit weak repeating similar story lines.
    Perhaps I might download a few more for the holidays - I read too many non fiction and i haven't much interest in crime, romance novels.

Same myself mostly Cycling biography's with the odd bit of fiction thrown in. Day's of reading a couple of books a week are long gone. Wheel of Time is another series I enjoyed was a late comer to them only read them in the last 6-7 years. I'm assuming you've read Game of Thrones. I do read other genres a good bit though. I'd particularly recommend James Ellroys LA Quintet of books in the crime genre there not your typical whodunnits .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hi mossym

Android or Apple.
    Most embarrassing moment (if you care to share :p)
    Any regrets in life so far
    You best\worst characteristic
    under your new coach has he\she apart from the training differences, how has it changed (do you feel more confident purely having someone "over" you)

Pmaldini wrote: »
    favorite restaurant?

Fiesta del mar mexican in Mountain View California. pretty sure the INS would have a field day in there if they visited, it's authentic mexican, nothing fancy, but my god the food is good. i've come to judge mexican restaurants by the amount of fish they have, if they have none and jsut beef chicken and pork they are a want to be, real mexican restaurants always have fish

also like Gallaghers in New York on broadway, it has a twin version in Las Vegas. when i asked the server why all the waiting staff was over 60 he answered "cause son, it takes this long to know beef". Cracking steak house
    favorite holiday resort?

big shout out to Maui, loved that place, but the distance involved now makes it unfeasible, so Puerto Del Carmen in Lanzarote. we're not big partiers, we like quite with lots of food choice and relaxed, and it fits that perfectly. great family spot as well. Would go back in a heartbeat
    money no object car?
    money no object motorbike?
    !

Aston Martin DB9.

not a clue about motorbikes, so couldn't even pick one
    if the little one was to excel in any sport what sport would you like that to be?

Honestly, whatever she picks herself, i'd hate to force her into anything. But if i was to pick one, something like golf which has a decent pro game which can provide enough income to be self sufficient. there simply isn't the money in terms of support in ireland for a lot of the other sports. Look at the budgets olympians are operating under and you'll see what i mean. But honestly, i;d rather she was loving getting up every sunday playing for the local c team than hating being a star

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Hi mossym

Have you ever fallen off your bike?

Road bike no. Mountain bike quite often, usually at ballyhoura trying to do something i'm not able to :)
    Do you swim in the lake during the summer?

as often as possible. mate of mine's parents house is right on the lake, very close to the UL activity center. he lives in galway now but is home a lot, and every time he is we do a 2km swim out into the lake around an island and back. we've surprised quite a few boats who didn't expect to meet swimmers out there

i;d swim more, but wrestle with all the advice about not swimming alone. pretty sure i'd be fine solo, but err on the side of caution.
    Do u use the lake for any other activities like kayaking or sailing?

unfortunately, no. Have always wanted to learn to sail, but never had the time. did a lot of wakeboarding in the states, but never got around to doing it here. i really should. it's a blast

BennyMul wrote: »
    Hi mossym

Android or Apple.

i had an iphone for 4 years. switched to Android in December.

for me, Apple. just works. nothing flashy, but rock solid. but 10 years ago when i was into tech in a huge way outside my job android would have suited me way better. if you want to tinker and customise it's way better. but my phone is a tool now, primarily for work, so i just want something solid.

Most embarrassing moment (if you care to share :p)

dropping my pants,on stage in front of a packed bar in cork while blotted drunk to allow a girl write her name and phone number on my ass. was in college at the time. the girl was cute, they wanted a volunteer and the first guy up wimped out. i got dared and off i went. all done in chase of the cute girl. it worked, but on a different girl :)

Hi mossym
    You best\worst characteristic

best: dedication.when something interests me, i go all in. total commitment.
    worst: i'm a moody git. always have been.

under your new coach has he\she apart from the training differences, how has it changed (do you feel more confident purely having someone "over" you)

i don't feel confident, not in the way i think you mean. i do feel more confident in what i do though. i don;t worry that the easy work is a waste of time, and think i should be pushing harder. that's been an important step for me. it's very early in coaching arrangment. I've not yet done a a single event since we started. Confidence in the abilities will come based on performances. i'm not the type to rock up to the startline cocky cause i'm working with a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Has working with a coach affected the way you train? As in did you previously train in groups but now find yourself training alone? Or is there enough flexibility in your program to allow you to join group/club sessions when you want to?

I have previously noticed very active club members (in terms of training with the club) become coached and drop off the club scene to a large degree. Nothing wrong with it, it's goes with the territory to a large degree I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think we know where the Lough Cutra after party is going to be held. BYOB Mossy?

EC1000 wrote: »
    Has working with a coach affected the way you train? As in did you previously train in groups but now find yourself training alone? Or is there enough flexibility in your program to allow you to join group/club sessions when you want to?

I have previously noticed very active club members (in terms of training with the club) become coached and drop off the club scene to a large degree. Nothing wrong with it, it's goes with the territory to a large degree I suspect.

never been a member of a club, and until this year, all my run and swimming was done solo. Save for a few sessions like ow swims where i;d swim with a mate, or a colleague from work for a run. but i;d also say prior to this year, my runs were just that, going for a run, no structure, just 45 min run, swims the same

Biking was a bit different, i cycle with a group of 5/6 others. it's a group that jsut grew, most of them were cycling together before i joined them, but they are all pretty relatively serious cyclists, 3 of the others race tri as well, the other two are the most serious cyclists in the group, so it doesn't tend to be a leisure spin, but at the same time it's not flat out racing either. good thing is they go out every week during the summer 4 to 5 times, so always someone there for a spin.

so working with the coach didn't affect any social side of the running or swimming, cuase there wasn't any. there had to be a conversation at the start about the biking, and i think we have come to a happy arrangement. as long as the session coach wants done gets done, hen the group isn;t an issue. This has meant weighing back on some group turbo sessions over the winter, and for the summer means i'm planning on at least one solo spin during the week to get the key interval session in, but i still imagine doing a good portion of my spins with them, given i was limited by the mba last year it probably means an overall increase in cycling with them

i can definitely see where someone going from club to coach would be very different though.

AKW wrote: »
    I think we know where the Lough Cutra after party is going to be held. BYOB Mossy?

one would have to participate in Cutra to make an after party though......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

AKW wrote: »

Will you be in any fit state for a party after the HIM there? :pac:

• Advertisement

as it's a question i have to answer it:)

i'd say he'll be rearing for road, feeling like he'd never done a race at all by the time cutra finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Mossym

Am I right from reading your posts that you are a Castleconnell man?

Do you drink in Paddy Guerins then?

ROK ON wrote: »
    Mossym

Am I right from reading your posts that you are a Castleconnell man?

Do you drink in Paddy Guerins then?

Nope, killaloe man born and bred.

Am I right in saying this is your first year coached, If so how are you finding it?
    joey100 wrote: »
    Your getting coached this year, do you think the main benefit of the coaching is the planned structured sessions or the fact you have someone to answer to if you miss a session, making it harder to skip one??

i know i answered these seperately, but thought it worthwhile to add something which has happened over the past few days which these questions touch on

I'm coming off of 3 good weeks training for me, 2 higher volume ones, one wit some good hard efforts. all the details are in my log on here. but the details aren't all that important. suffice to say the past 3 days have brought some surprising results in a very positive way.

one can debate whether or not i would have got to them anyway if i was self training. However, i think one area where coaching is helping me in a big way is in what i'm not doing, as much as what i am. This time last year, positive results like that would have encouraged me and driven me on, the next 3 weeks training would have been even harder than the previous 3, and by about the end of the first of them i'd be taking days off to deal with some injury that would spring up.

Instead, i'm heading into recovery week, and compared to the last few weeks, my plan for the week looks positively miserly. If i had even convinced myself last year to take a recovery week (which i wouldn't have) i'd have doubled everything up, convinced that a week this light was throwing away all the gains. Now, i go with the plan and trust in the long term gains. it takes faith in the coach and in the system, but the gains so far have created that.

most of the guys here are racing a lot longer than me, and know a lot more about training than i probably ever will. but coming to endurance sports late like i have this system is working for me.

Advertisement