Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Tablet: 99 euro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The iPad mini would be a better built tablet, but that doesn't mean you should discount the Medion one. There's a light review of the Medion one here

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

and another review here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

It's just a cheap, generic 7in rockchip based tablet in a medion wrapper. Not great, not terrible. Compared it to an ipad mini, it'd be like night and day.

If you're not in a rush, this is a serious competitor to an ipad mini and quite a bit cheaper if bought from amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Pad-8-3-inch-Tablet-Processor/dp/B00G47TMNE/ref=sr_1_11?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1395686980&sr=1-11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got a 32Gb Nook HD 9" from the argos store on ebay for £116.

MIght be a better alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Is this a great deal? My mother is looking for a Tablet and as I've never owned one either I simply don't know if this is a great bargain or if she should go with the IPAD mini at Harvey Normans. Which one would you go for? I am of course fonder of the lower price, lol.....:

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-27th-march/products-detail-page/ps/p/178cm7-tablet-pc-medion-lifetab-e7318-md-98691/

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/apple/ipad/ipad-mini/ipad-mini-16gb-wifi-white-and-silver.html

Any help appreciated. I'd have to get to Aldi early as there is no store in her town, so if it's worth it I will do it!

The iPad is a way better machine. There are quite a few of these cheap 7 inch Androids around - I have one myself - and I would say that this Aldi one is as good as any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

vienne86 wrote: »
    The iPad is a way better machine. There are quite a few of these cheap 7 inch Androids around - I have one myself - and I would say that this Aldi one is as good as any.

Of course the ipad mini would be better it costs more. Op would you not get a nexus 7, if you were going to spend extra on mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Bump, they have these back on Thursday (7th). I'm far from an expert but the specs look good and with a 3 year warranty it's hard not to see it as good value!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-7th-august/products-detail-page/ps/p/7-tablet-pc-medion-lifetab-e7318/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

murphm45 wrote: »
    Bump, they have these back on Thursday (7th). I'm far from an expert but the specs look good and with a 3 year warranty it's hard not to see it as good value!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-7th-august/products-detail-page/ps/p/7-tablet-pc-medion-lifetab-e7318/

Not great value when you consider Argos are doing 2012 Nexus 7 for €125

Edit, sorry, 2 weeks late, expired now. I wouldn't buy any tablet without ongoing support, and I mean software, not warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

I got a 32Gb Nook HD 9" from the argos store on ebay for £116.

MIght be a better alternative

+10 million

No better value for the money tablet going. Higher resolution screen than an iPad just has no camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Got one of these at Christmas. Had to go back due to the screen having a mirror display, ie everything was back to front.

In fairness, they arranged for it to go back to Germany. Replaced with a brand new one, wouldn't go again tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I got one of these for my mam when it came out last time and I thought it was a great little tablet for the money and considering her use of it which would be light at best. It gets a thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Medion is now owned by Lenovo so essentially your getting a lenovo tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

This doesn't seem to be the bargain that it once was, with the Nexus coming down in price to meet it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

This doesn't seem to be the bargain that it once was, with the Nexus coming down in price to meet it..

you would think not with the nexus 7 at 125 in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

the nexus 7 may be at 125. but there are none available. They had about 20 on sale over the whole country from what i seen.

its a false sale price, seeing as they dont have any.
    the specs in this are alright actually. Much better available from China for the same price though.

RossieMan wrote: »
    the nexus 7 may be at 125. but there are none available. They had about 20 on sale over the whole country from what i seen.

the specs in this are alright actually. Much better available from China for the same price though.

Get the kindle fire HD our a Nook HD then. No point buying an Android device without future software support and updates, Android is continuously evolving at a rapid rate. This is not a bargain

Whats wrong with android 4.2?
    Works perfectly fine.

This may not be a bargain, but it's a perfectly fine tablet for a light user.

I would prefer a kindle fire HD myself. but theres nothing wrong with this tablet.

Whats wrong with android 4.2?
    Works perfectly fine.

This may not be a bargain, but it's a perfectly fine tablet for a light user.

I would prefer a kindle fire HD myself. but theres nothing wrong with this tablet.

Yes it works fine but 4.2 is already old, it's from Nov 2012, in about 12-18 months you'll see certain apps drop support for it to concentrate on the latest version. I'd certainly not buy a tablet without future updates. It's not a bargain when you compare it to what's available with ongoing support

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

You can pick up an asus memo pad hd 7 on Amazon at the moment for 130e, spec is similar to this but it has a high res screen reduced from 189e better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

Based on the amount of feedback on here about people picking up the nexus 7 in Argos, Id reckon it was more like 20 in each store. They were probably just all reserved quickly. If its reserved, it doesn't show as in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Get the kindle fire HD our a Nook HD then. No point buying an Android device without future software support and updates, Android is continuously evolving at a rapid rate. This is not a bargain

This might be a stupid question, but why would you not be able to update the software as compared to a nexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus

Nexus devices are the first Android devices to receive updates to the operating system.

When manufacturer releases a new product they often stop updating their older devices. Forced obsolesce if you like. Happens a lot with Android devices. Nexus devices tend to get updates for longer.

This is also because many manufacturers add lots of extra crud to their Android devices. Which created more stuff to update. Nexus devices have pure Android. So its less work to update them.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

That's really useful information to know when I'm looking for a tablet. I had imagined it was like Windows updates. Thanks for that.

Binka wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question, but why would you not be able to update the software as compared to a nexus?

Nexus devices are guaranteed updates from Google for 3 years and then they are so popular they'll have a huge development community supporting them with updates of the new versions after that.

As has already been said plenty of manufacturers drop support for older devices pretty quickly, Samsung, Asus etc are all guilty of this. Amazon and Nook would support their devices for a longer time also as they make money from the selling of ebooks on them. Popular devices would have a vibrant modding community forking the latest Android code from Google and making it work on the most popular devices.

No-name brands usually release one solitary bugfix update and don't support them after. Medion up to now has been a no-name brand but may change in future now they have been bought by Lenovo. Lenovo have also just bought Motorola off Google, who have experience in making Android phones while being under Google's wing

Most popular phones and tablets have massive communities working on ROM's for their devices anyway.

you can receive the updates long after official support has gone.
    Official updates always suck ass anyway, Nexus/google devices being the obvious exception. Even then, i prefer Cyanmogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

You don't really need the latest OS in most cases, especially the average user who just uses the internet, email, watch videos, play candy crush. All of which i am still doing on my 1st gen iPad.

bur wrote: »
    You don't really need the latest OS in most cases, especially the average user who just uses the internet, email, watch videos, play candy crush. All of which i am still doing on my 1st gen iPad.

In my experience a lot of stuff doesn't work on the 1st generation iPod. its a bit slow though.

Same with some of our old Androids phones running 2.3.6 etc. Nothing wrong with the hardware, they are similar specs to new phones. Its forced obsolescence.

An iPad has nothing to do with this thread, Apple make a handful of devices and therefore developers have very few to support.

Android is a whole different ball game for various reasons. Just look how many different versions of Android or various screen resolutions an app needs to support on thousands of different types of hardware

• Advertisement

Anyway in terms of a bargains you have to factor the longevity of the device with regard to app support and OS updates.

Advertisement