Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance and criminal convictions

Options
  • 24-03-2014 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Every year I shop around for quotes for house insurance, and I always get asked this question - have you any criminal convictions or convictions pending? I assume if you answer yes, they will either increase the premium or not give a quote

What's this question got to do with calculating the risk for insuring a house against fire/storm/flood etc? If you have paid the fine or done the time, then is it fair to be penalised further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you done the crime, then you're a greater risk of doing it again. It's not about punishment, it's about risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

I've never been asked this. Is this the norm thou

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

newbie2013 wrote: »
    I've never been asked this. Is this the norm thou

Relatively standard alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you done the crime, then you're a greater risk of doing it again. It's not about punishment, it's about risk.

Doing what again? How many criminal convictions would have a bearing on the risk involved in your house insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Are they bothered about what the conviction is for? Is this just to root out the serial insurance fraudsters and they're not bothered about minor offences or offences unrelated to their business?

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    Relatively standard alright.

Are you sure, in all 8 years I've never been asked this. Is this for every county or just the cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

djimi wrote: »
    Doing what again? How many criminal convictions would have a bearing on the risk involved in your house insurance?

Theft, Malicious Damage, Arson, Fraud etc. There is also the risk from the type of people persons with convictions associate with, either from a complicit role or as an adversary.

Are you sure, in all 8 years I've never been asked this. Is this for every county or just the cities

Every house insurance proposal form

oldyouth wrote: »
    Every house insurance proposal form

I do mine over the phone and never been asked

I do mine over the phone and never been asked

I'm sure it was in the blurb that we all say Yes to during those calls. It was either specifically asked or it was in the assumptions.

Seriously though, I'd check it out. If there is a non-disclosure, Insurers will hop all over it in an instant. Far easier for them on house insurance claims than a motor one, given that this cover is not a legal obligation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have zero recollection of being asked over the phone or online for any of the quotes I've ever been given. However, I can see why they'd ask. It could be restricted to certain areas, which I'd find pointless (no difficulty in just asking everyone) but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

MYOB wrote: »
    I have zero recollection of being asked over the phone or online for any of the quotes I've ever been given. However, I can see why they'd ask. It could be restricted to certain areas, which I'd find pointless (no difficulty in just asking everyone) but possible.

I don't think they ask in a quote situation, usually when they do the statement of facts all the questions come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But remember it's insurance and the policy of utmost good fact applies. You have to tell them anything that may increase the risk of insuring you. Eg you have a history of arson. You have to tell them and not just after they ask you

hfallada wrote: »
    But remember it's insurance and the policy of utmost good fact applies. You have to tell them anything that may increase the risk of insuring you. Eg you have a history of arson. You have to tell them and not just after they ask you

+1
    They usually throw in a catch all type of question like... 'do you have any other information which may be relevant to your insurance profile, noting that you are obliged to mention anything that you may feel is important. '

So ya know, mentioning that a business you are a director of had an insurance claim for fire damage in the preceeding five years or that you've previously been treated for psychological issues or you wrote off your parents car at the age of 17 on your first learners permit.

+1
    They usually throw in a catch all type of question like... 'do you have any other information which may be relevant to your insurance profile, noting that you are obliged to mention anything that you may feel is important. '

So ya know, mentioning that a business you are a director of had an insurance claim for fire damage in the preceeding five years or that you've previously been treated for psychological issues or you wrote off your parents car at the age of 17 on your first learners permit.

Never once I've been asked a question like is. Tell me this, can I ask my insurance company for all the phone recordings I've had with them

Never once I've been asked a question like is. Tell me this, can I ask my insurance company for all the phone recordings I've had with them

You can but there will probably be a charge.
    This will be in your policy documents too.

Were you sent a Statement of Fact along with your policy document? It might be there under the 'assumptions' sections. Regardless of that, it IS in there somewhere. If there is anything in your circumstances, I would urge you to disclose it to your insurers now, rather than debate it in the event of a claim

oldyouth wrote: »
    Were you sent a Statement of Fact along with your policy document? It might be there under the 'assumptions' sections. Regardless of that, it IS in there somewhere. If there is anything in your circumstances, I would urge you to disclose it to your insurers now, rather than debate it in the event of a claim

I have just renewed my home insurance last few weeks, what is it exactly I have to look out for in my received documents. Do you have to disclose everything even if it was a silly drunken arrest or a small amount of cannabis or is it just serious offenses like arrson etc...

I have just renewed my home insurance last few weeks, what is it exactly I have to look out for in my received documents. Do you have to disclose everything even if it was a silly drunken arrest or a small amount of cannabis or is it just serious offenses like arrson etc...

It's any conviction. I've linked to Zurich's proposal form (page 4) as an example, though they are pretty much all the same. If your policy is issued subject to a Statement of Fact, your insurers probably enclosed a copy of assumptions that you agree to. If it was originally on a signed proposal form, your renewal should carry a reminder to disclose any new material changes to the original declaration

http://www.zurichinsurance.ie/internet/irelandgi/SiteCollectionDocuments/Existing%20Customers/Document%20Download/Proposal%20Forms/HomeInsuranceProposalForm.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Everything.

(TBH, I'm finding it hard to believe we're even having this discussion ... isn't it pretty well known that you have to tell anything that even vaguely might be material???)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Never lie to insurance companies it's the golden rule, they can refuse to honour the contract if they deem you have misled them. Once a claim goes in they will scrutinise you very throughly. One lie no matter how small they can null your policy, then what?

Advertisement