Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Year Commerce - Accounting or Finance?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm a Commerce student in UCD, going into final year next September. It's coming to about the time when we're being given information about the different paths we can take with our degree and the final year modules relevant to whatever course of study we want to take. But I'm having a bit of a problem deciding which root to take.

I've always thought I'd go down the road of Accounting. I studied it for the Leaving Cert, have always liked it as a subject and do relatively well in exams without having to put in too much effort. Recently though, I've seriously started to consider Finance as an option. I find the subject more challenging and way more interesting. I'm pretty sure it'll require more work from me next year than Accounting would but that doesn't really bother me.

At the minute, it's a case of head says Accounting, heart says Finance. Can anyone shed some light on either strands, what their modules were like, which subject is likely to have the better lecturers, career after graduation etc.?

All help appreciated, thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭morefoolme

finance

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭morefoolme

but also look at exemptions offerred for Accountancy exams if you want a career in Accountancy later

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Finance: An interesting major which covers a broad spectrum of financial instruments and the various key theories. The biggest problem I've always thought here is the competition. You're competing with Actuarial & Financial studies and Economics & Finance students here. These guys from my own experience (Commerce student who knows several of them) are generally much better at quantitative subjects (HB1 and HC3 entry requirements respectively) and in general much more driven on getting great results in comparison to Commerce students. I'd also be wary of some of the finance subjects if you're not very quantitatively skilled. I've heard some of the people in both Ac & Fi and Ec & Fi describe modules like Financial Economics as some of the hardest they've ever come across.

Accounting: If you like the accountancy modules and have always done well in them then you can't really go wrong with them. The pros are you can get full Cap 1 exemptions (Only really a pro if you're considering Audit or Tax) and if instead you'd want to go into a finance department role you'd be very comfortable with numbers. The disadvantage is it can be a bit monotonous and very bland to study.

Would you consider a mix of modules? The people I've known to do the best always just chose a mix of modules they thought they'd do best in and enjoy the most. There's nothing stating you have to choose a particular stream.

Advertisement