Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding infant to health insurance

Options
  • 24-03-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Any one have any experiences in relation to adding a new born to there medical insurance, we missed a 13 week by a couple of weeks for informing our insurance and are now being told that cover for any pre existing would be moved out for 5 years, seems unbelievably inequitable considering the premium is the same either way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

When my baby (now 21yrs old) was born, I forgot to add him to our health insurance policy. At approx 3 months old, he started dehydrating badly and was rushed in to hospital.

Anyway, when the admin people came in to the room to ask if we were insured or going public, I owned up and said I never got around to arranging cover (I have always worked in insurance by the way :o). The person informed me that I was OK, as VHI automatically cover newborns to existing family policies for the 1st 6 months before you have to make arrangements.

Now that was 21 years ago but my OH beside me thinks she heard similar ads to the same effect recently. Check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

The 13 week period is correct, some insurers will take the circumstances into account and extend this though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

That may have been true 21 years ago, certainly not now...
    oldyouth wrote: »
    When my baby (now 21yrs old) was born, I forgot to add him to our health insurance policy. At approx 3 months old, he started dehydrating badly and was rushed in to hospital.

Anyway, when the admin people came in to the room to ask if we were insured or going public, I owned up and said I never got around to arranging cover (I have always worked in insurance by the way :o). The person informed me that I was OK, as VHI automatically cover newborns to existing family policies for the 1st 6 months before you have to make arrangements.

Now that was 21 years ago but my OH beside me thinks she heard similar ads to the same effect recently. Check that out

Advertisement