Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops that have a limit on Debit card transactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Mech1 wrote: »
    Sorry UNP3 but there is no way for anyone in retail to be sympathetic to the point of, catering specially for, someone with the money management skills that you suggest.

Kind of says it all. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Oh this old chestnut again.

Noting I like more than being stuck behind the moron who get to the till without being ready to pay, plops out a card to pay for his Mars Bar, then can't quite remember the pin, then asks for a receipt and gets upset because it's 22c for a bag.

Some people really shouldn't be allowed out of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

It's a load of hocus pocus bolloxology. See I just posted this. Was I charged a transaction fee? Geeer up our da ya dirty bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I understand the minimum limit as people abuse the service. I know of one company that has completely stopped accepting debt cards as a result of the high fees associated with debit cards.

Tesco can afford to let people spend 1c and put it on their card as they can agree a small % with VISA but it has the potential to put local shops out of business if enough people abuse the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

We don't have a terminal where I work cause most transactions are 2-3 euro
    So cash only
    Would it be possible to get a terminal and only accept contact less payments to avail of the lower fee ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Bepolite wrote: »
    Oh this old chestnut again.

Noting I like more than being stuck behind the moron who get to the till without being ready to pay, plops out a card to pay for his Mars Bar, then can't quite remember the pin, then asks for a receipt and gets upset because it's 22c for a bag.

Some people really shouldn't be allowed out of the house.

And that makes them a moron.:(i consider myself as busy as the person in front of me and as patient and tolerant as the person behind me. Nothing more, lots of us forget things and a receipt is a reasonable request for a purchase. Actually, i stand corrected but i think its a law to be provided with a receipt. Although i have to agree on your point of them getting upset regarding the 22c for the bag. But to be honest, its a bit of a lame argument in support of the minimum cost being imposed by some retailers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This argument reminds me of the people complaining about Ebay were people would sell DVDs for 1c and put the cost on the shipping cost instead to avoid paying money to Ebay being "unfair" because that was not the real postage cost (well duh, that was the whole point to lower the price by avoiding paying Ebay a percentage of sale). Personally I'll pick a shop with a bit of cop on with minimum spend who're not going to raise their prices over the board to compensate for people's lack of understanding of business realities (you as a customer will ALWAYS pay the cost) over the once with out who're charging me the CC fee for cash if I'm given a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

UNP3 wrote: »
    they believe that having this facility will increase there profits. .
    They may have thought this, and then discovered they were getting more small transactions than they expected and so it was not profitable. It can also annoy cash paying customers who are forced to subsidise the card users.
    cerastes wrote: »
    In one shop Ive found some staff will sell me items and allow me purchase items under the limit and others wont.
    It could depend on the item, if the profits more than cover the fees I expect they might allow it, if the system is not hardcoded to refuse the sale somehow. e.g. shops make little profit on cigarettes but high profit on bars. Some shops might have items excluded from min spends, you will see tesco restrict the use of vouchers on many presumably low profit items.

It reminds me of amazon "free delivery", of course its not free, its included in the price. Sometimes I get free delivery on low weight items which are under the £25 limit, I presume this is since the postage would be low so they are covered.

Again i put it to you how many small shops are paying for companies like brinks to transport money, cctv for security, The cost to purchase coin from a bank, cash alarm systems etc etc. Your payng for all that when you buy your biscuits and the retailer is still profiting somehow.

In taking this service on as is pointed out in the IPSO quote these companies have agreed that they can provide the service, they believe that having this facility will increase there profits. They cant just provide half a service because it suits them. They knew the terms and conditions when they took on the service.
    sparky63 wrote: »
    As we move closer to a cashless society, what next. Minimum spend is 20 or 50 euro.
    There could be government intervention if they were to get rid of currency. I expect more competition where they are all a % rather than the single charge, so the retailers could pick the company they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 UNP3

Have you ever stood behind the old woman who is surprised by the sudden need to pay for a product only to fish through her purse for change all the while talking to the shop person about last weeks Saturday night take away and her sons Takes just as long really.

I am sure your a busy guy but I am also busy and don't want to spend my time looking for a bank machine when I have a means of payment in my hand. If the retailer loses money don't offer the service. People keep pointing out that the terms clearly state the card must be accepted. It's not about time or cost
    To the retailer, it's a facility I have that they offer. Could you imagine if the retailer said that if we wanted to but a lotto ticket we had to buy a minimum of three lines because anything less costs them money. We would all laugh and buy are tickets in super valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If the retailer loses money don't offer the service. People keep pointing out that the terms clearly state the card must be accepted.
    If people keep buying tiny amounts then you will find few places will have the service. Its in peoples interest to understand how these sneakily hidden charges are in place, they should have more of an issue with the sneaky card companies than the retailer who simply wants to make profit on each & every sale.

I buy from several shops repeatedly online and never use paypal even though its more convenient and costs ME the same. My reasoning is that I want the shop to be as profitable as it can, so it will survive and be able to offer me good prices. I do not want all the item costs increase to cover paypals fees.

If my local takeaway did "free delivery", I would not be in the place ordering ordering and then thinking "hey, its free delivery, sure why wait, I'll head home and just let them deliver". I don't want them closing down.
    Could you imagine if the retailer said that if we wanted to but a lotto ticket we had to buy a minimum of three lines because anything less costs them money. We would all laugh and buy are tickets in super valu.
    I wouldn't laugh, I'd be saying the retailer is smart and the lottery are the ones to have an issue with.

Lottery tickets are presumably low profit, tesco do not allow vouchers to be used on them.
    * Sorry, you cannot use your vouchers to purchase tobacco, prescription medicines, lottery products, infant formulae milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    Lottery tickets are presumably low profit, tesco do not allow vouchers to be used on them.

They are (very) low profit, but there's separate rules about incentivising sale of certain items, lottery tickets are one of them, hence you can't either get or use loyalty points on them. Baby formula is certainly not a low profit item, for instance.

In the case of lotto tickets I think its an interepretation of the original Act that brought the National Lottery in which requires that all tickets are sold at the same price to everyone - vouchers are not cash; tobacco is one of the various Health Promotion Acts and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There at WHO guide lines on the promotion of baby formula that prohibits the use of store issued vouchers against it.

The local spar used to have a minimum spend, now it just doesn't have a visa machine.

No idea why they had one in the first place, the didn't sell petrol etc. and there's a bank machine outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

They are not allowed to look for a minimum transaction account but they are allowed to charge a fee for card transactions.
    Why don't shops just ask for a fee to use a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Have you ever stood behind the old woman who is surprised by the sudden need to pay for a product ...
    It's not just old people who are like that, and not only women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Problem with me is that sometimes you run out of cash and driving to an ATM and then back to my local shop is at least 30 minutes extra travel

Saying you wont use your card for transactions under 20 euro is all good when there are plenty of ATM's to go to before shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Was in America for three weeks. Never touched cash. Everything on the card. Anything under $10 no signature just a swipe. So much faster than flaffing about with cash. I hope it's like that in Ireland soon. I find McDonalds is far quicker to pay by contactless card than cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Anything under $10 no signature just a swipe. So much faster than flaffing about with cash. I hope it's like that in Ireland soon.

It won't be. The US has been a laggard in getting chip and pin but its coming; so no more swipe and run.

Contactless is faster and more reliable than swiping, once enough retailers get it - or even realise they already have it in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

A shop that use to be my local shop had no transactions under a tanner policy.
    I would be in there two to three times a week for stuff forgotten in the shop, petrol, bakery stuff and the deli counter.
    I was going there on and off over three years and never once would they let me use my laser for under a tenner. That the other side with shops taken advantage of it, making you spend up to a tenner when you only wanted milk bread and some ham which might have came to €7.
    They knew I wouldn't leave it and drive into town but at the same time I stopped going to the unless I had to.
    Some shops in Ireland don't what to do business.
    A gift shop in Clare wouldn't take my card for €9.50 as they had a €10 policy. The shop is never busy but she wouldn't budge on the policy. Walked out and went to glitzy bitz, same thing cheaper and no issue with card.
    I understand the charges on the card but sometimes there should be a little flexibility for the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Can the shop just remove the invitation to treat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

boardzz wrote: »
    They are not allowed to look for a minimum transaction account but they are allowed to charge a fee for card transactions.
    Why don't shops just ask for a fee to use a card?

That would be gas. could you imagine the number of people who would hop on the outrage bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I think I'd be in a panic if I didn't have 20 or 30 quid in my pocket at all times.
    Debit cards for bread and milk? Absolute nonsense.

MYOB wrote: »
    It won't be. The US has been a laggard in getting chip and pin but its coming; so no more swipe and run.

Contactless is faster and more reliable than swiping, once enough retailers get it - or even realise they already have it in some cases.

Sorry should have clarified, I meant the whole no pin/signature method. Not necessarily that they have to swipe it. Contactless would do just as well. (I'm just used to combined contactless and swiping the magnetic stripe under the term swipe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

emeldc wrote: »
    I think I'd be in a panic if I didn't have 20 or 30 quid in my pocket at all times.

Why is it nonsense? Some people rely on their cards as a way to track transactions, some because they're worried about carrying cash. If the retailer doesn't want to accept it that's fine, but how is it absolute nonsense?

Not everyone can afford not to have 20 or 30 quid in their new pocket at all times.

emeldc wrote: »

I really fail to see how its nonsense. I'd much prefer to throw 2.65 on my card instead of giving in a twenty and getting back a tenner, fiver, 2euro, 20c, 10c, and a 5c coin.

Paying by card can be so much easier and quicker if implemented properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

I really fail to see how its nonsense. I'd much prefer to throw 2.65 on my card instead of giving in a twenty and getting back a tenner, fiver, 2euro, 20c, 10c, and a 5c coin.

Just be patient

One day all people will step into the 21 st century ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

And half the time when you go to pay for bread and milk with a 20 or a 50 they will ask to you have anything smaller.
    I have my debit card...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

And what happens when the banks start charging customers for debit card transactions? Your €2.65 coffee becomes a €2.85 coffee (for which the café gets €2.50).

I'll stick with my practice of carrying cash for small transactions.

Even though it's not cool.

And what happens when the banks start charging customers for debit card transactions? Your €2.65 coffee becomes a €2.85 coffee (for which the café gets €2.50).

Can't see them bringing in charges for credit cards any time soon, also, there are always way around card fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'll stick with my practice of carrying cash for small transactions.

Even though it's not cool.

No different than being charged for withdrawing cash at an ATM. Wait until rival banks start charging for using cards from other banks as is standard in most countries.

And the coffee shop will have to pay for security, transporting cash, etc. So the coffee will still end up costing 2.85, except everything is more inconvenient for everyone involved. Only winner is the security company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Idiots who try to pay for small purchases with credit cards then complain about store policies seem to have a strange understanding of what a "convenience store" actually is.

Advertisement