Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops that have a limit on Debit card transactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Can't see them bringing in charges for credit cards any time soon, also, there are always way around card fees.
    BOI, for one example, have indicated that their policy of not charging for debit card transactions is temporary.

One way of avoiding fees is to use cash.
    jester77 wrote: »
    No different than being charged for withdrawing cash at an ATM...
    If I draw €200 for an ATM, I pay one transaction fee; if I spend €200 in twenty smaller amounts, I pay 20 transaction fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

boardzz wrote: »
    They are not allowed to look for a minimum transaction account but they are allowed to charge a fee for card transactions.
    Why don't shops just ask for a fee to use a card?
    I would like to see this happen.
    I really fail to see how its nonsense. I'd much prefer to throw 2.65 on my card instead of giving in a twenty and getting back a tenner, fiver, 2euro, 20c, 10c, and a 5c coin.
    How much of a fee would you be happy to pay. I was saying before about the real example of a cafe in dublin city, it would go from 2.50 cash or a 37cent surcharge for using a debit card.
    Not everyone can afford not to have 20 or 30 quid in their new pocket at all times.
    Yes, they have little left after paying over the odds for goods to subsidise the card users who could have otherwise paid by cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

We give people the option of a min spend of €5 or a 25c charge if under that.A bit of common sense needs to be used, clearly if you have done a shop and then forgot something we wouldnt charge you. or if it comes to €4.75 we just let it go as well.

For those who think that there will never be charges .....think again. with AIB you get "free" banking if you keep €2500 in your account. But the cost of interest lost on the €2500 is €25 - €50.

Theres always a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Right , so can we now put a stop to this negative support of posters who are attempting to impress upon us all , that we should use cash for small transactions .

Nobody on this thread or elsewhere has a given right to influence how anyone spends their money .

It is a personal decision for us all .

It has now been established , that outlets that refuse to allow a card transaction of less than €10 are breaking the terms and conditions of their contract with their service provider .

So can someone post where they should be reported , and all the positive posters can report .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Right , so can we now put a stop to this negative support of posters who are attempting to impress upon us all , that we should use cash for small transactions .

Nobody on this thread or elsewhere has a given right to influence how anyone spends their money .

It has now been established , that outlets that refuse to allow a card transaction of less than €10 are breaking the terms and conditions of their contract with their service provider .

So can someone post where they should be reported , and all the positive posters can report .

you would need to figure out which payment processor they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Why is it nonsense? Some people rely on their cards as a way to track transactions, some because they're worried about carrying cash. If the retailer doesn't want to accept it that's fine, but how is it absolute nonsense?

Next time you're being mugged, ask the skanger if he takes Visa :rolleyes:

Right , so can we now put a stop to this negative support of posters ....

all the positive posters can report .
    I don't know how you can be so one sided and seemingly not even see the point/recommendation people are making.
    -and a decision which effects everyone else, that's the point, it is by no means benign. People are simply saying to think about it. From reading the first post it seemed the OP was totally ignorant about the charges, probably thinking his own fees covered it. There was a recent thread where someone genuinely though "free postage" was actually done for free by couriers.

Now if this guy said he just randomly buys single items without a single thought I expect people would also advise him that this practice will lead to higher prices in the long run.

An analogy to this thread would be someone saying "I went to a buffet, started loading up my plate and ended binning half it and going up again and the owner gave out to me -I was well within my rights, the sign clearly said help yourself to as much as you can, never said I had to eat it, they signed up to this policy so should live with it". If this happened I would expect similar posts simply advising them why the restaurant owner would not encourage this practise, and how it could lead to higher prices for everyone in the long run.

If I had no cash and saw a €10 limit I would ask if I could pay the fee, or if I could buy anything in particular that would be acceptable, i.e. they might have a high profit bar whose sale would cover the fee if their system did not allow the fee easily. I have offered to pay the paypal fees to several german ebay sellers who wanted a bank transfer, all accepted.

Is there anybody who would be opposed to the shops openly charging a fee? which it seems they can do. I would like to see it, I don't like the thoughts of having other people subsidise my purchases, I like to pay my own way fairly. The minimum spend is not the fairest way, since you are in effect giving them a discount, so if the person paying cash spends this minimum amount they should be getting a similar discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I prefer to pay by card. Especially when it is done properly. It's quicker and easier.

All the companies I have worked for, and run myself, try to get as much payment done through card or other electronic methods instead of cash. It makes accounting easier, reduces security risk and saves time and money. Obviously, selling a stamp for 60c and putting it on the card is not fair and shouldn't be expected. However, if the stamp is bought with other items I don't see the issue at all. I think a lot of merchants are still under the impression that fees are very expensive and complicated to accept payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Would people think that a Café / Restaurant should have a 20euro minimum spending limit as seen in my picture here?
    Think that's just a tad too much tbh! Most people I know pop in there when out exercising in the area and/or call in for lunch and would only bring card instead of carrying cash with them. Having to spend min 20euro seems excessive. I don't know when that sign went up, only saw it there today myself.

C73DC1A4A31442AE99E83119F6419A4E-0000359217-0003526873-00500L-66F56F5F162C415F8F57358C70209B75.jpg

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Would people think that a Café / Restaurant should have a 20euro minimum spending limit as seen in my picture here?
    No they should not, its against the rules, they should have a charge to use the card instead, its the fairest way. The minimum charge is unfair on cash paying customers who spend over €20.

The charge they could introduce is not necessarily the same as banks charge either, could be more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Frynge wrote: »
    That is not true at all. A company called streamline are after entering the irish market (subsidery of world pay) and they are offering massively reduced charges. We have reduced our visa debit charges by 75% and our Visa corporate rate from 3.75% to 1.75%.

The likes of tesco's, dunes and super value would be paying a lot less than you local newsagent.

3.75%? You are joking? Even 1.75% is high. Tell them max 1.4% for corporate cards or move.

Also remember commission is on the vat inclusive amount and as revenue won't give credit for card commission, your rate is actually 2.15% of your netcsald vale.
    Considering a retailer will have a gross profit on some items of 5% it doesn't pay to accept cards for small amounts unless contactless payment is installed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I prefer to pay by card. Especially when it is done properly. It's quicker and easier.

All the companies I have worked for, and run myself, try to get as much payment done through card or other electronic methods instead of cash. It makes accounting easier, reduces security risk and saves time and money. Obviously, selling a stamp for 60c and putting it on the card is not fair and shouldn't be expected. However, if the stamp is bought with other items I don't see the issue at all. I think a lot of merchants are still under the impression that fees are very expensive and complicated to accept payments.

Its certainly not quicker to pay by card, and I fail to see how the transaction is easier than handing over correct money, or getting back change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its certainly not quicker to pay by card, and I fail to see how the transaction is easier than handing over correct money, or getting back change.

When implemented quickly it is. For example in Walmart. Swipe the card as they're scanning items sign but don't press enter. Once everything has been scanned check price and press enter.

In Mcdonalds a swipe. That's it or in Ireland a flick of the card over the contactless. Can't wait for Ireland to catch up having credit card on the phone etc. So much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Its certainly not quicker to pay by card,
    It depends. Lidl seem to pride themselves on getting people through checkouts quickly, I think staff have quotas they must reach. They began taking credit cards a while back (it was debit before this), i was amazed at how long it took to process the cards, the machines were also very buggy and would have to go through transactions.

They have now replaced them in my local lidl with the fastest checkout readers I have ever seen, so only now it is faster to use it than if you were to get change.

This post has been deleted.

Like you, I was paying 2.5% as well but the charges all went up about a year ago. I just had a look at my bill there:

Mastercard credit/ Visa Credit 2.38%
    Visa Dr Commercial / Visa Business 2.98%
    All other debit cards 25cent regardless of amount of sale.

The problem is, a small retailer handling a couple of thousand euro a month has no leverage to get a better deal and the terminal providers know that. Large supermarkets etc that handle hundreds of thousands monthly can call the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I would have presumed franchise stores like Centra, Gala etc. could make just as good of a deal with merchants on fees but I still find some of these stores with a minimum transaction amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 UNP3

Does everyone have correct change when they approach the till. No not usually and as people have pointed out its handy if you want to keep a record of payments made. I for one will be paying for as much as I can with my card as it is very useful for accounting purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

UNP3 wrote: »
    Does everyone have correct change when they approach the till. No not usually and as people have pointed out its handy if you want to keep a record of payments made. I for one will be paying for as much as I can with my card as it is very useful for accounting purposes.

Most card payments take much longer than cash. As for wanting to keep records. For less than a tenner? Come on!
    I use my debit card as much as possible but would not dream of doing so for less than €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

boardzz wrote: »
    I would have presumed franchise stores like Centra, Gala etc. could make just as good of a deal with merchants on fees but I still find some of these stores with a minimum transaction amount.

Every franchiser is responsible for their own EPOS, transaction handling etc in most of the symbol groups - unlike franchised restaurants for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Seriously ? so when you check your statement on line and see 10 transactions for costcutter between €1.50 and €2.75 another 10 for spar for the same and another 10 for mace for similar amounts that will help with your accounting purposes.

Also why should the shops bear the costs of your bizarre accounting procedures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Shelflife wrote: »
    Seriously ? so when you check your statement on line and see 10 transactions for costcutter between €1.50 and €2.75 another 10 for spar for the same and another 10 for mace for similar amounts that will help with your accounting purposes.

Also why should the shops bear the costs of your bizarre accounting procedures ?

Have you never done accounts? That's exactly how they work. Some people have a very tight budget to work with. Seeing an entry for ATM €100 isn't going to help with budgeting. Being able to import the accounts into your budgeting tool is a hell of a lot easier than having to manually enter 20-30 receipts by hand.

jester77 wrote: »
    Have you never done accounts? That's exactly how they work. Some people have a very tight budget to work with. Seeing an entry for ATM €100 isn't going to help with budgeting. Being able to import the accounts into your budgeting tool is a hell of a lot easier than having to manually enter 20-30 receipts by hand.

An ATM entry for €100 or 20 POS entries for a fiver on your statement. Neither will tell you what you have actually spent your money on. You're not going to tell me that you keep all your receipts for bread and milk and cross reference them on your statement, are you?
    Nah, surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

emeldc wrote: »
    An ATM entry for €100 or 20 POS entries for a fiver on your statement. Neither will tell you what you have actually spent your money on. You're not going to tell me that you keep all your receipts for bread and milk and cross reference them on your statement, are you?
    Nah, surely not.

20 x 5 entries will give you a much better overview of your spending habits than a single 100 entry. If someone is struggling to make ends meet at the end of the month, a 100 entry is of zero use to them. But if they can see 20 entries then they have something to work with.

Most card payments take much longer than cash. As for wanting to keep records. For less than a tenner? Come on!
    Some might do it for work expenses.
    Shelflife wrote: »
    They shouldn't, they should charge an appropriate fee. I don't think anybody has objected to the suggestion of a fee by the way. Again, would anybody object?

I am guessing the OP would not as they originally said they are paying a fee, so I can't see why they would object to paying any additional cost, or indeed discount, that the shop otherwise has to bear/benefit from.
    I pay a fee to use my debit facility and it is safer because it means i am not carrying cash ( I know someone could steal my pin etc etc).

Its the forced overspend that seems to annoy people, you go in for a mars bar and have to walk out with €10 worth of stuff. And I explained how the min charge is unfair on people paying cash over the min amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I never realised so many people carried around coin purses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

rubadub wrote: »

Accepted. But let's be practical. Most don't. Plus, you just ask for a receipt. I often had to claim expenses and we had a wonderful system - you got a receipt. When using the company card I can't say I ever has an item for less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

There is a filling station in my local town who had a sign stuck on the counter stating a card transaction under 15euro would cost 25c extra & for cash back there was 1euro charge. It was on the petrol pumps as well. I haven't notice it lately but it was there for so long it probably got worn & most regular customers would have seem it. Needless to say I didn't avail of their OFFERS. It sounds so mean!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

rubadub wrote: »

They shouldn't, they should charge an appropriate fee. I don't think anybody has objected to the suggestion of a fee by the way. Again, would anybody object?

It seems so
    hillbloom wrote: »
    There is a filling station in my local town who had a sign stuck on the counter stating a card transaction under 15euro would cost 25c extra & for cash back there was 1euro charge. It was on the petrol pumps as well. I haven't notice it lately but it was there for so long it probably got worn & most regular customers would have seem it. Needless to say I didn't avail of their OFFERS. It sounds so mean!!

• Advertisement

hillbloom wrote: »
    Needless to say I didn't avail of their OFFERS. It sounds so mean!!
    It certainly does sound mean, mean of you to expect others to pay for you.

Do you not think you should pay your way? I regularly use cards and would have no problem with paying my way, I don't want people subsiding me, in effect sponging off them.

Advertisement