Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops that have a limit on Debit card transactions

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

rubadub wrote: »
    It certainly does sound mean, mean of you to expect others to pay for you.

Do you not think you should pay your way? I regularly use cards and would have no problem with paying my way, I don't want people subsiding me, in effect sponging off them.

Depends on the shop. Where I've worked accepting card was cheaper for the company. Should we charge extra for cash payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Where I've worked accepting card was cheaper for the company. Should we charge extra for cash payments?
    Yes, or maybe have a discount. When people see prices they expect to be able to pay that by cash, which is why a surcharge for cash might seem odd. I already covered this
    rubadub wrote: »
    I am guessing the OP would not as they originally said they are paying a fee, so I can't see why they would object to paying any additional cost, or indeed discount, that the shop otherwise has to bear/benefit from.
    Some services will charge less for the likes of direct debit. I was getting a visa in an embassy before and had to pay by either postal order or bank draft, cash does not suit some places. Pretty sure there were other instances where they insisted on card payment or gave some benefit to using cards.

Some people seem to not moan as much about discounts rather than surcharges, even though in effect they are the exact same thing. So you have pizza places with "walk in discounts" and "free delivery", some do not equate them and would otherwise start whinging about delivery charges even if the item was the exact same price.

In the thread about the coffee place I was suggesting cash payers might get a bun or chocolate or something, which probably costs the owner the same as the card charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The thread is not about once-off payments for visa's or passports etc .

It is not about an alternative payment method to benefit the retailer .

It is about making a choice for consumers , to allow them shop without obstacles .

If a retailer is in the business of providing a service , they should provide the full service , and not make their own rules to benefit themselves .

And in my own personal situation , I can say that the local Centra , and local Daybreak have lost my business , as they insist on a spend of minimum €10.

In a month of approximately 20 transactions , there may be one or two occasions , when I wish to spend less than €10 , and as neither of the above outlets can facilitate this , I have decided to shop elsewhere .

So these retailers , have not just lost the sale of less than a tenner , but lots more besides .

And while they continue to refuse a transaction for the sake of 28 cent, I will continue to go elsewhere with my business .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

The thread is not about once-off payments for visa's or passports etc .

It is not about an alternative payment method to benefit the retailer .

It is about making a choice for consumers , to allow them shop without obstacles .

If a retailer is in the business of providing a service , they should provide the full service , and not make their own rules to benefit themselves .

And in my own personal situation , I can say that the local Centra , and local Daybreak have lost my business , as they insist on a spend of minimum €10.

In a month of approximately 20 transactions , there may be one or two occasions , when I wish to spend less than €10 , and as neither of the above outlets can facilitate this , I have decided to shop elsewhere .

So these retailers , have not just lost the sale of less than a tenner , but lots more besides .

And while they continue to refuse a transaction for the sake of 28 cent, I will continue to go elsewhere with my business .

FFS, It has nothing to do with benefiting themselves, it's to prevent making a loss on small transactions. Which part of that are you having such difficulty with.

emeldc wrote: »
    FFS, It has nothing to do with benefiting themselves, it's to prevent making a loss on small transactions. Which part of that are you having such difficulty with.

If the consumer is prepared to pay 28c on a transaction , and it is obvious that the retailer is not prepared to pay 28c , then whom do you think is benefitting from refusing the transaction ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

If the consumer is prepared to pay 28c on a transaction , and it is obvious that the retailer is not prepared to pay 28c , then whom do you think is benefitting from refusing the transaction ?

You lost me at consumer :confused:

Aldi260314_zpsaee4842c.jpg

I was in Aldi this evening and bought 6 x bottles Irish Water and 1 x jar of the finest Irish Raspberry Jam , and paid the sum total of €4.44 by card.

I find it unacceptable that I am unable to buy 20 cigarettes , or even 4 cans of Bud in some local outlets using card .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was in Aldi this evening and bought 6 x bottles Irish Water and 1 x jar of the finest Irish Raspberry Jam , and paid the sum total of €4.44 by card.

I find it unacceptable that I am unable to buy 20 cigarettes , or even 4 cans of Bud in some local outlets using card .

I was in Lloyds Pharmacy in Leopardstown and bought a container of cotton buds for 70 cent on my card. I had no coins/notes and the girl said it was no trouble at all. I will be returning there to give them more of my business.

It was a nice change from the Londis I lived above in Athlone and frequented almost every day, which still enforced the minimum 10 euro purchase by card rule. There was even a day when I was in a hurry and I wanted to buy a sandwich with my card and I asked could I just give them whatever the transaction fee was so they werent out of pocket? Nope. 10 euro minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its one thing I will not do , is end up buying stuff I don't need to bump up a transaction , and I did walk from local supermarket recently , after check-out told me , I had to spend a tenner .
    I did have more than a tenner in card , but did not need this value of goods .

If I had €1000 in savings account and €9 in Debit card account , and was on way home from work , wanting to buy 4 cans of Bud , I will now go to outlet that allows me spend less than €10.

So in my case , local outlets that make it compulsory to spend a tenner have lost my custom completely , and I don't even contemplate going to them nowadays .

So in my opinion , the retailer is losing out over this ruling .

How can you not understand that retailers are making a loss when the transaction is less than 10 euro? They pay transaction fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

ruthy_2504 wrote: »
    Coming from a family who own a small convenience shop in the West of Ireland, charges imposed on the merchant to process card transactions is another example of big companies squeezing more and more out of the smaĺl guys.

How is a shop supposed to absorb transactions that cost more to process than the profit on the items being sold? Where does the profit come from then to pay light and heat, insurance, rates, wages etc?

Absolutely unsustainable, and in 10 years time when there are no convenience stores left and you have to go to a supermarket for a single litre of milk we'll all wonder why.
    You need to sit down with your accountant. Ligh and heat etc don't come out of profits. Profits is what's left after everything else is paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 UNP3

Most card payments take much longer than cash. As for wanting to keep records. For less than a tenner? Come on!
    I use my debit card as much as possible but would not dream of doing so for less than €20.

I love that answer. you will be the guy in the other thread saying I cant believe I owed so much in Direct Debit fees. I thought I had enough. Dont know where all my money went but i sure as hell am not paying those fees.

I believe in having as few accounts as possible and as few locations to place money as possible. This whole out of sight out of mind stuff is such BS unless it makes me money. I want every penny i have in one location ( preferrably my current account). this way I know exactly how much i have each moth and what i can spend each month. Then it can accumaulate in that one place. Its in a handy list form that i look at and it says what i have and what i spent and thats all i need. I hate speculating as to where that missing twenty could be. DId it blow away when i pulled out my keys or did I really spend it all on bread milk burgers and creme eggs.

I dont know why people feel the need to have money in five different places. they have Money in the bank, A savings accouint, coins in the pocket, the post office, the credit union. Take it all, put it in one place and then you know how much money you are actually worth and you can stop fooling yourself into thinkiing you have more. You may even surprise yourself if you start seeing how many needless little one euro transactions you make in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A shop near me allows you to use the card for less then €10 but charges the 25c fee to the customer which I think is fair. Luckily a shop even nearer has contactless Visa and no minimum :P

If a major supermarket started doing it I'd be cheesed off but the convenience store should certainly be able to pass on not insignificant costs without being lambasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You need to sit down with your accountant. Ligh and heat etc don't come out of profits. Profits is what's left after everything else is paid for.

Gross profit and net profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

they have Money in the bank, A savings accouint, coins in the pocket, the post office, the credit union.

Why not? The deposit guarantee is only €100,000 and you get the best rate of interest.

ted1 wrote: »
    How can you not understand that retailers are making a loss when the transaction is less than 10 euro? They pay transaction fees.

There making a bigger loss in terms of customer returns. In my area the grocer is situated between a super valu, a lidl and an off licence that all take laser. This shop has no interest in competing with them but the owneer can not understand why the other stores are shredding through his business. The bank machine is a further walk then the lidl or super valu. One evening i went to this guy to purchase some food and was reefused as it was under ten euro, So i walked to super valu and got what i needed. I have not gone back to this shop since. AS this shop was right at the bus stop I would often stroll in on the way home and purchase a lot of products. Up to fifty euro some weeks but no less then 30. That means in a year he has lost 1560 euro from me alone. 15600 if ten people did what I did. That becomes big money quick if enough people are doing like me and clearly from this thread there are people doing it. I cant see the cost of the transaction fees coming close to these long term losses.

because if you asked most people how much money they really had I promise you most people would be confused and not be to sure of the exact figure. The reason for this is because the have not counted the few pennies in the drawer, or checked to see how much has been transferred into there credit union account through direct debits over the last five years. Finding ways to just forget about money is not exactly being accountable for it.

Its a personal choice but i like to see exactly what i have in a nice neat list of payments in and out and the great thing is in doing so I have saved money by keeping track of my money in such a way. As I said its a personal choice but I think something as important as my finite amount of money should be monitored, rather then being irresponsible with my few euro I like to be acccountable for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

UNP3 wrote: »
    I love that answer. you will be the guy in the other thread saying I cant believe I owed so much in Direct Debit fees. I thought I had enough. Dont know where all my money went but i sure as hell am not paying those fees.

I believe in having as few accounts as possible and as few locations to place money as possible. This whole out of sight out of mind stuff is such BS unless it makes me money. I want every penny i have in one location ( preferrably my current account). this way I know exactly how much i have each moth and what i can spend each month. Then it can accumaulate in that one place. Its in a handy list form that i look at and it says what i have and what i spent and thats all i need. I hate speculating as to where that missing twenty could be. DId it blow away when i pulled out my keys or did I really spend it all on bread milk burgers and creme eggs.

I dont know why people feel the need to have money in five different places. they have Money in the bank, A savings accouint, coins in the pocket, the post office, the credit union. Take it all, put it in one place and then you know how much money you are actually worth and you can stop fooling yourself into thinkiing you have more. You may even surprise yourself if you start seeing how many needless little one euro transactions you make in a week.
    What was that all about? I can assure you I have never had any difficulties with any of my many direct debits. Why do you think I don't know where my money is? Again, worry not I am perfectly aware of my resources. Why suppose I have 5 accounts because I make a point of always having some cash on me? I don't get your point at all or how it relates to this topic.
    As for your assertion that we should have all our money in one place. That is financially naive in the extreme. Earning on investents are maximised by following the best returns. Keeping all in a current account is sheer madness.
    As for fooling myself I have more money than I have - if you only knew! That is so comical! I have a reasonably good grasp on my funds and where they are! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

because if you asked most people how much money they really had I promise you most people would be confused and not be to sure of the exact figure. The reason for this is because the have not counted the few pennies in the drawer, or checked to see how much has been transferred into there credit union account through direct debits over the last five years. Finding ways to just forget about money is not exactly being accountable for it.

Its a personal choice but i like to see exactly what i have in a nice neat list of payments in and out and the great thing is in doing so I have saved money by keeping track of my money in such a way. As I said its a personal choice but I think something as important as my finite amount of money should be monitored, rather then being irresponsible with my few euro I like to be acccountable for it.

I would be worried if I thought I had to count the coins lieing in a drawer. To the nearest 50k does me on an ongoing basis. Once a year a more detailed summary but still without the loose change. :)
    Many accounts reduce interest over a certain value deposited. Bank guarantee limits apply as do limits on NTMA investments. Very foolish keeping all your wealth in a single account.
    A non-business current account carrying ordinarily more than 10,000 is a poor investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ok so, if the banks brought in a deal where transactions under 10 were free, what would feeling be?

Would retailers encourage transactions by card?

A shake up of the pos payments system is well over due, the costs with accepting card payments are so high. If it would be great if Paypal came in with a phone app that asked payment everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

wmpdd3 wrote: »

A shake up of the pos payments system is well over due, the costs with accepting card payments are so high. If it would be great if Paypal came in with a phone app that asked payment everywhere.

Contactless payments does that already and is already being rolled out across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The thread is not about once-off payments for visa's or passports etc
    I have paid for 3 visas from them, the thread is about payment methods, and why some outlets will charge more for one than the other.
    It is not about an alternative payment method to benefit the retailer.
    :confused:Yes it is, plenty are discussing that....

It is about making a choice for consumers , to allow them shop without obstacles
    One obstacle being high prices imposed on some customers to cover others who are not willing to pay their way. It'd be like asking a shop to chip in for bus fare to their shop to make your purchase.

If a retailer is in the business of providing a service , they should provide the full service , and not make their own rules to benefit themselves
    They should not break the rules of the card companies, but they are most certainly entitled to introduce their own charges.
    I have decided to shop elsewhere .

So these retailers , have not just lost the sale of less than a tenner , but lots more besides
    Do you honestly think they have not thought of this? and do you honestly think in some cases they do end up more profitable by making people pay there way. You & some others seem to be in complete denial of any benefits to it.
    Yes, you will go traipsing around from shop to shop for the sake of a miserable 28cent, not willing to pay your own way. Dunno how much you value your time/effort/fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There making a bigger loss in terms of customer returns.

You've made it pretty clear that you make multiple, non profitable for the retailer transactions. So they're likely doing better without you actually.

Its a sad day when Irish Retailers are unable to see the wood from the trees , and they are driving their customers away in their droves .

I am willing to pay my 28c per transaction under a tenner , but retailers with this rule are obviously not.

I would challenge any poster here , to go to their local convenience and ask for 6 bottles Irish Water , and 1 pot of Irish Raspberry Jam , and look at the difference in price alone.

Now you will see the profit the local convenience store has per transaction , versus a larger Symbol group out-let .

And if they cannot absorb a 28c from this profit , something is seriously wrong .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would challenge any poster here , to go to their local convenience and ask for 6 bottles Irish Water , and 1 pot of Irish Raspberry Jam , and look at the difference in price alone.

Do you actually believe that they have the same wholesale price as Aldi have?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MYOB wrote: »
    Do you actually believe that they have the same wholesale price as Aldi have?

Aldis wholesale prices are low, but not THAT low.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Sometimes i buy items for less than a tenner and other times i can spend 20 or 30 euro. So if i spend less than a tenner, i should pay a charge of 25 or 28c according to some here. But when i spend 20 or 30 euro do i get 25 or 28c discount, nope. So the retailer adds a charge when his profit margin is swallowed up by the transaction fee, but when his profit is twice or three times that amount no discount :(. Am i going to spend 20 or 30 euro in a shop that charges me for using a card for less than a tenner but gives nothing back when i spend 30 euro, dream on retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

syklops wrote: »
    Contactless payments does that already and is already being rolled out across the country.

Is contactless free? If that is the case, I cant see why retailers wouldn't highly promote this method of paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Is contactless free? If that is the case, I cant see why retailers wouldn't highly promote this method of paying.

It was only free until July last year as a launch initiative. Fees apply now, or so I believe; although I'm pretty sure they're less than regular fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What I seen today In a local Shop, Is that They will charge you a fee to use cards below 10 euro and none above 10 euro. That is way better then you have to spend at least €10

Advertisement