Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

languages

• 24-03-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,
    Some of people said to me that I can take Korean and Chinese for leaving cert.
    Is it true?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Here's the list of subjects available in the Leaving Cert:

https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=sb

There's a few other non-curricular EU languages for native speakers but I don't think Chinese and Korean are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 shedu

You can take Japanese

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

junej67 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Some of people said to me that I can take Korean and Chinese for leaving cert.
    Is it true?

No it's not true. You can do exams in the EU languages if you are a native speaker, or Russian, Japanese or Arabic. There are also exams in Ancient Greek and Latin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

spurious wrote: »
    No it's not true. You can do exams in the EU languages if you are a native speaker, or Russian, Japanese or Arabic. There are also exams in Ancient Greek and Latin.

Why not Chinese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

spurious wrote: »

Hebrew Studies...don't forget Hebrew Studies! The most recently available data show that fewer than five people sat it over a five-year period in the mid '00s!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

feargale wrote: »
    Why not Chinese?

You'd have to ask the DES about that. The Arabic came in (I think) because of that school in Libya that does the LC and AFAIK the Russian and Japanese came in following some trade missions.

Mandarin will presumably be in soon and the students will give themselves grades, the way things are going.

Advertisement