Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I pay

Options
  • 24-03-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

not really sure if this should go here or not.

The wifi bill has gone up to 260e. The reason it is this expensive is because we went over the limit. To be honest I do use the internet more than the owner of the house. However when I moved in I asked was there a limit and was told that they had never had a problem. I have no way of knowing when we are at the limit and so didn't realise how much had been used. Obviously i would have stopped using the internet if I knew we are at the limit.

Today I was handed a breakdown of the data usage with dates and times. Home owner has marked times of greatest usage and has marked whether they were here or not.

I don't know what to do......I will pay my fair share but to be honest I don't know is it fair to expect me to pay the full amount? I had no way of knowing we were over the limit, would be fairly careful with things like this and wouldn't have let it get that far if I had known.

I'm planning on asking how much they want me to pay and if told the full amount don't know what to do.

Looking for opinions/advice.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

What in the name of God were you doing to exceed the limit to cause that much of a bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

What in the name of God were you doing to exceed the limit to cause that much of a bill?

That is one thing I dont understand.....I dont download anything other than updates for my phone or things like adobe, and thats once in a blue moon. Other than that I stream tv shows bit everyone keeps telling me that that wouldnt count......but I have know way of seeing what the data was used on so maybe it was something I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

shellycub wrote: »
    That is one thing I dont understand.....I dont download anything other than updates for my phone or things like adobe, and thats once in a blue moon. Other than that I stream tv shows bit everyone keeps telling me that that wouldnt count......but I have know way of seeing what the data was used on so maybe it was something I did

Streaming eats into your data allowance.

Tbh you admit you use the Internet more than the owner and if you believe it was caused by you going overboard (regularly streaming can easily cause it) then yeah, you should pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

Streaming TV shows would count.. I don't know who told you that, but they are misinformed. Streaming TV shows is really heavy on data, so that was probably how you went over the limit. I'd be more careful of that in future if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Time to pay up OP and ask the owner if you can order a better broadband package that allows you to stream TV without penalty....this will be at your cost, especially seeing as the owner has never exceeded the limit before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

Thanks, and usually I am careful this is the first time I have ever gone over the limit. Think that is why it is annoying me so much. If I had seen the usage limit it wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Depending on your supplier, a simple phonecall can reduce the bill substantially. We exceeded the limit with our supplier, due to both of us getting new phones and unintentionally using the home wifi rather than the data allowance on the phone, updates ate into it as well, and we don't stream anything.
    We were hit with a similar bill but a phonecall to the supplier got a substantial amount knocked off the bill as we were completely unaware that the limit had been reached and we should have been cut off rather than what they normally do which is charge every bit used over the limit by a huge amount. It was a one off 'goodwill' gesture by the supplier, and it's worth a phonecall to see what they can do for you.

And then you should pay the bill and perhaps switch off the automatic wifi on your phone when you're home, that's what we did and we haven't had a problem since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Your phone company will write off a majority of the bill. I know UPC used to up you to the highest package which might have been a few Euros extra rather than hitting you with a massive bill.

I won't take whole responsibility for the bill. The owner should have upgraded the broadband with more.people in the house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Why didn't you use the one in your office in Leinster House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hi,

not really sure if this should go here or not.

The wifi bill has gone up to 260e. The reason it is this expensive is because we went over the limit. To be honest I ido use the internet more than the owner of the house. However when I moved in I asked was there a limit and was told that they had never had a problem. I have no way of knowing when we are at the limit and so didn't realise how much had been used. Obviously i would have stopped using the internet if I knew we are at the limit.

Today I was handed a breakdown of the data usage with dates and times. Home owner has marked times of greatest usage and has marked whether they were here or not.

I don't know what to do......I will pay my fair share but to be honest I don't know is it fair to expect me to pay the full amount? I had no way of knowing we were over the limit, would be fairly careful with things like this and wouldn't have let it get that far if I had known.

I'm planning on asking how much they want me to pay and if told the full amount don't know what to do.

Looking for opinions/advice.
    Thanks

You used it paid for it. Dont be a weasel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Who was the provider may I ask?

I was bit freaked out about this, so I rang Eircom about going over the 30gb limit, and the lad on the phone checked it out and said it was 2 Euro per 10GB. Which is not too much for going over your allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Other than that I stream tv shows bit everyone keeps telling me that that wouldnt count......

Streaming HD not only would count, it makes an absolutely HUGE impact. Who is this "everyone" who told you that?

What provider are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

This has happened me before, but as it was the first time it had happened, they reduced the bill significantly and took it out of subsequent bills (it had already gone out by direct debit).
    The problem is, if for e.g. you've 15GB limit, then every byte (or bit?) downloaded, is individually charged at an astronomical unit price!
    They tracked through my usage and found that on Hallowe'en night, I had 'spent' 84 euros! :eek: All I had done was watched a stupid crap film on Netflix, which kept stalling so I'd have to keep restarting it.

Anyway, if the bill is in your housemate's name, get them to ring the provider, explain, and see if they might offer a discount on this once off bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP if data was limited, your house mates would be unhappy if you were constantly using up the allowance. No doubt if that was the case, you would be asked to pay the monthly bill if you were using the majority of the allowance. Again this seems to be one if those threads where OP wants a way out of paying something which she is responsible for. As others have said you used the service, you pay for it, " I didn't know ..." is not a defence and someone else should not have to pay for your mistaken understanding of streaming data usage.

Standard broadband packages should be sufficient to allow users to use email, iPhone updates, browsing etc. if an upgraded package is needed to accomadate your streaming usage, I think it would be entirely appropriate for the LL to ask you to pay the extra cost of this package per month.

The answer to your question is, pay whatever you owe for the amount of data you used. There will be a huge spike in usage when you were streaming so it is easy enough for LL to assign it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Thanks, and usually I am careful this is the first time I have ever gone over the limit. Think that is why it is annoying me so much. If I had seen the usage limit it wouldn't have happened.
    There's no need to be "careful". There are certainly several free programs available for keeping a track of your download and upload, monthly usage with alerts etc. - the one I use is BitMeter OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

davo10 wrote: »
    " I didn't know ..." is not a defence and someone else should not have to pay for your mistaken understanding of streaming data usage.

Actually in this situation the OP specifically asked if there was a limit and was led to believe that either there was no limit, or the limit was high because there was never any problem before. Her landlord needs to accept some responsibility because when she was asked if there was a limit she shouldn't have given a lazy answer, she should have found out. Simple as.

I think the best course of action here is to get the landlord to ring the provider and try to sort this out by either upgrading the package or getting the bill written down somewhat. The landlord pays what she'd normally pay and the OP pays whatever remainder. I think it's only fair that the LL try to get the bill down somehow with the provider, considering that if she'd given a proper answer to the OP's question at the very beginning about download limits they wouldn't be in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Actually in this situation the OP specifically asked if there was a limit and was led to believe that either there was no limit, or the limit was high because there was never any problem before. Her landlord needs to accept some responsibility because when she was asked if there was a limit she shouldn't have given a lazy answer, she should have found out. Simple as.

n.

Streaming may be becoming more popular because of Netflix etc but it is not everyday usage of broadband for most. If OP was running an internet based business would you still feel that LL should pay for broadband beyond the norm? OP streamed series onto her computer, she should have asked in advance what the download package was and whether there was enough to allow her to view TV content on her computer. She didn't because she thought streaming didn't use data, how would LL be responsible for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

davo10 wrote: »
    Streaming may be becoming more popular because of Netflix etc but it is not everyday usage of broadband for most. If OP was running an internet based business would you still feel that LL should pay for broadband beyond the norm? OP streamed series onto her computer, she should have asked in advance what the download package was and whether there was enough to allow her to view TV content on her computer. She didn't because she thought streaming didn't use data, how would LL be responsible for this?

I never said the LL should have to pay more - I said that seeing as she didn't bother giving the OP a proper answer about broadband limits she should at least try to get the amount down considering that the OP isn't the contract holder and can't talk to the provider herself. And the OP said she DID ask if there was a limit and didn't get given any details. If I was told there was a 20GB limit I'd have a meter running to make sure I didn't go over 10GB (for example). That way the OP could have twigged it a lot sooner. If she was told a limit and then accidentally went over it it would be 100% the fault and liability of the OP, but in this case the LL wasn't bothered telling her what the limit is.

The OP should approach the LL and say "look, I accept that I went over the limit but in truth I didn't even know what the limit was. I know it's my responsibility to pay for it, I completely accept that seeing as you've never gone over it before. What I did find out since you came to me with the bill is that a lot of companies are quite reasonable if this happens for the first time. Some will really reduce what you owe if it's genuine mistake, or change the package you're on to one where you wouldn't have gone over the limit. I'm not the account holder so I can't talk to them myself but maybe if you call them we could all try to work something out? If they suggest a different package I'd be more than happy to pay my share of the old package plus the difference with the new one."

If the LL says no they're being an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

OP, Who is your Broadband provider

You need to talk to both the LL and the Broadband provider, I consider myself to be a very heavy user (100s GB a month) and have gone over my limit a lot in the past and Eircom never charged me extra.

I have since changed to UPC and they tend to upgrade your broadband package if you go over the limit.
    From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances.

"Excessive use" of the Service means usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance. If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof:

Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or

Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee;
    and/or
    Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same;
    and/or
    Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or
    Terminate your account for non-compliance with the provisions of this User Policy in accordance with the provisions of UPC‟s General Terms and Conditions.

Usage restrictions and data allowances for Limited Broadband Products are set out in the terms and conditions for these bundles. By subscribing to a limited bundle you are choosing a UPC product that has a usage cap. It is a condition of this product that you adhere to the usage cap. Where you do not adhere to the usage cap we will automatically upgrade you to the nearest bundle that best meets your needs subject to the notification provisions set out in the terms and conditions for that bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Any (non mobile based) ISP that has a limit sufficiently small that it prohibits video streaming nowadays is not worth a toss. I am with UPC and stream Netflix probably 3-4 hours a day in HD quality, as well as a host of other video and music streaming. I have no idea how much I use (Im fairly sure I have no way of checking my usage), but in this day and age if I hit any sort of limit based on my usage I would be livid.

My advice to the OP would be to sort out the bill, and immediately move to an ISP that is actually capable of providing a proper internet service. I can recommend UPC as they have the best speeds and from my experience have the best service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Good mother of god I don't pay that much for unlimited internet for a year. I'd say its up to you to pay the majority of it OP. If all the internet bills up till now have been 30 quid or whatever and suddenly you move in and it jumps 200 euro its pretty obvious who's at fault. I'd ring the provider and try get some off it but even to keep peace in the house I'd pay it if you are there long term. If some dickhead moved in and suddenly cost me 70 or 80 quid in internet I didn't even use I would not be friendly to them. Don't alienate your housemates, just pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know vodafone have a little dashboard thing which tells you how much data you have used, it doesnt tend to cost much to move from say a 40gb limit to unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

djimi wrote: »
    Any (non mobile based) ISP that has a limit sufficiently small that it prohibits video streaming nowadays is not worth a toss. I am with UPC and stream Netflix probably 3-4 hours a day in HD quality, as well as a host of other video and music streaming. I have no idea how much I use (Im fairly sure I have no way of checking my usage), but in this day and age if I hit any sort of limit based on my usage I would be livid.

My advice to the OP would be to sort out the bill, and immediately move to an ISP that is actually capable of providing a proper internet service. I can recommend UPC as they have the best speeds and from my experience have the best service.

You can, log in to UPC (or create an account) and you can view your usage.

Here's an example

Je0ODAO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Fair enough, I forgot about the login! How live are those stats?

Advertisement