Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to change childminder when to tell kids?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

Evening All,

We have 2 kids, a 6 year old boy and a 4year old girl. I work 3days a week and kids are at minder from 7am to 6pm.
    I have been blessed with a wonderful childminder since I returned to work after my first child.
    She has been wonderful and my kids love her as she loves them. But now she is moving house and I have found a new childminder due to start in the middle of April.
    How soon do I need to tell kids that a new minder is starting?
    I'm afraid if I tell them too soon they will be lonesome and upset with old minder.

It is going to be a dreadful wrench for us all and I'm terrified I'll make a mess if it.

All advice welcome .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you should be introducing the subject now, occasionally. Don't make a big deal of it at the moment, just casual references to xxx is going to live in a new house. Then bring in the notion of someone else minding them and start 'making plans' for the change - think about a present they can give the old minder for her new house, make a card, talk about meeting the new minder. Keep it positive, relaxed and give them time to take it all on board. Maybe your old minder would make plans for the children to go and visit her new house after the move, as she fades from importance this will not be an on-going thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yes you are exactly right looksee, they know she is moving but we never leaped to the new minder conversation.
    I ll grasp the nettle this weekend and tell them.
    Thanks for your input :)

Advertisement