Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's LIT Clonmel like?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I applied for Animation in LIT Clonmel and just got accepted on my portfolio
    so I was just wondering what It's like?

Whats the campus like? The night life in Clonmel? The students? Events etc?
    Anthing I need to know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I understand that LIT and Tipp IT are one and the same now but there's also the Tipperary I.T. forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=48

You might be better off asking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alannamcm

thanks will do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Hi AlannahM,

Sorry for the late reply, only saw your post now.

The campus for LIT Clonmel is small, about 300 or so pupils, but the calibre of lecturers is really amazing.
    I dThe first year semester is really about settling you in, but you will be working straight away from week 1. Literally, the first week we were there, we were given an assignment. The demands of the course are very high, so you will be working hard, but the lecturers are all about the creativity, and less so about the academic thing. What I mean is, so many other colleges grade you on the paperwork you provide, and less so on the actual project (I speak from experience). Here, it is all about the project itself, with few of the projects looking at the written element.
    As I was saying about the lecturer calibre, there are two lecturers here who have worked in the film industry in both the animation and Special Effects industry. What I mean is, one has worked on films like Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty (Oscar nominated) and the other has worked on films like Prince of Persia, Paul, John Carter of Mars, and the Sorcerer's Apprentice (The Nicolas Cage one, there are a few others).
    In terms of events and pubs, well, Clonmel is pretty quiet on that front. There are pubs and clubs, but the thing is that the events held are not as often as one would like, maybe once a month or so. And as the course goes on, you will find that there is less and less time to go out, and more and more time spent indoors, probably having a few quiet ones with friends. There are a few people who risk going out once or twice a week, but you will find them in the labs working way past the deadlines due to their neglecting their projects for a night out. So what I am saying is that the college is intense, but it is worth it, and if things get heavy, the lecturers are pretty understanding and easy to talk to.
    You will be doing quite a bit of coding tho, so be warned, as some of those who dropped out (we had about 3 drop out) left because they wanted to draw and we did not do alot of drawing in first semester (second semester is tons of drawing, and alot of hard work). In first year we learn html and alot of technical jargon, as well as audio editing (it's needed in animation, so knowing how to fix a bad recording is pretty important), stop motion animation, and drawing principles. Second semester is life drawing and Actionscript 3 coding (tricky to get right, but an interesting challenge), and alot of flash animation.
    Hope that helps. :)

Advertisement