Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lied about making an actual meter reading????

Options
  • 24-03-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

28th Feb I got our latest Gas bill from Electric Ireland. €167.
    Knowing this could not be right, as we have not had the gas central heating on, I took a meter reading myself and confirmed that they were around 200 units short of their 'actual' reading figure.

I took the time to submit an online reading that day and also phoned up accounts on 28th Feb 9:30 am to Tel: 185037237 to point out that a mistake had been made and even though it was supposed to have been an actual reading and not an estimated one and that the figure was way out.
    How anyone mistakes a 0 for a 2 is beyond me.
    It was confirmed to me that my bill would be adjusted and a new one sent out. I had worked it out at approximately €40, way less than €167 in any case.

Due to the fact that I have not recieved a recalculated bill, I just checked my online gas account to find out that instead of requesting for payment of the actual amended bill, Electric Ireland still went ahead and requested payment for their dreamt up figure of €167.

This has now screwed up my carefully managed finances and landed me with extra charges from my bank for being over drawn by €70.

I am hoping to get a prompt reply to this tomorrow and also charges incurred repaid.
    I can send copies of phone call make on 28th Feb and also of charges.

Looking forward to your reply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

kleefarr wrote: »
    28th Feb I got our latest Gas bill from Electric Ireland. €167.
    Knowing this could not be right, as we have not had the gas central heating on, I took a meter reading myself and confirmed that they were around 200 units short of their 'actual' reading figure.

I took the time to submit an online reading that day and also phoned up accounts on 28th Feb 9:30 am to Tel: 185037237 to point out that a mistake had been made and even though it was supposed to have been an actual reading and not an estimated one and that the figure was way out.
    How anyone mistakes a 0 for a 2 is beyond me.
    It was confirmed to me that my bill would be adjusted and a new one sent out. I had worked it out at approximately €40, way less than €167 in any case.

Due to the fact that I have not recieved a recalculated bill, I just checked my online gas account to find out that instead of requesting for payment of the actual amended bill, Electric Ireland still went ahead and requested payment for their dreamt up figure of €167.

This has now screwed up my carefully managed finances and landed me with extra charges from my bank for being over drawn by €70.

I am hoping to get a prompt reply to this tomorrow and also charges incurred repaid.
    I can send copies of phone call make on 28th Feb and also of charges.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Go to your bank and demand they reverse the direct debit as it is an incorrect and unauthorised amount! They should return the funds to your account almost immediately, You will need to also insist they refund the fees they will have charged for the unauthorised overdraft on your account, suggest that they pass these on to the company that requested a disputed payment from your account!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Thanks, I'll contact them in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi kleefarr,

Thanks for your post. To advise you about this we will need to look into your account. Could you please PM with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number? Please also confirm if you are the account holder.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hope you get this sorted. Would the amended bill not also have resulted in you being overdrawn in this case to the tune of €30 (€70-40)

Hi kleefarr,

Thanks for your post. To advise you about this we will need to look into your account. Could you please PM with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number? Please also confirm if you are the account holder.

Kind regards,
    Aoife
    Done Aoife.

• Advertisement

Hope you get this sorted. Would the amended bill not also have resulted in you being overdrawn in this case to the tune of €30 (€70-40)
    No. 167 - 40 = 127.

That would be the value of the amended bill, €127, But if a €167 bill overdrew your account by €70: A bill of €127 drawn on the same day would Still make you overdrawn just not by a much.

Look Green, thanks for the input, but I can assure you that my finances would not have been in the red if the corrected amount from the actual reading I submitted had been asked for.
    The value of the amended bill would only have been approximately €37.

Have also submitted a reading today which is only 2 units different from the reading I originally gave.

Look Green, thanks for the input, but I can assure you that my finances would not have been in the red if the corrected amount from the actual reading I submitted had been asked for.

Have also submitted a reading today which is only 2 units different from the reading I originally gave.
    For your pleasure.

I going entirely on what you chose to share on the forum. Beside like I said in my first reply hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

For your pleasure.

I going entirely on what you chose to share on the forum. Beside like I said in my first reply hope you get it sorted.
    i read it as  40 total bill, not  40 less. therefore only  40 should have been taken and instead they took  167

• Advertisement

For your pleasure.

i read it as  40 total bill, not  40 less. therefore only  40 should have been taken and instead they took  167
    Is a €40 bill even possible. I had a summer bill for about €60 about €35 of that was standing charges, a €40 bill would equate to less than 100 units. Just looking at of mine
    Standing charge €30.33 in a month
    PSO Levy........... 4.64

That is before vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nidge_Weasel

For your pleasure.

Is a €40 bill even possible. I had a summer bill for about €60 about €35 of that was standing charges, a €40 bill would equate to less than 100 units. Just looking at of mine
    PSO Levy........... 4.64

That is before vat.
    I assume what kleefarr means by his account being overdrawn by €70 is that the €40 extra was withdrawn along with the charges that his bank would have charged for an unauthorised overdraft.

For your pleasure.

Exactly.

Just to let everyone know, a satisfactory resolution has been reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When did the payment come out? When was it due?
    Usually the request from payment comes days before the payment so if you missed the deadline they can't stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

For your pleasure.

PSO Levy........... 4.64

That is before vat.
    My summer gas bills were €33.44 and €14.29, so in answer to your question 'Is a €40 bill even possible', yes it is....

Advertisement