Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deciding whether to do GAA

• 25-03-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

I have a question that i hope someone on here can give me some advice on. I live in rural ireland and gaa is very popular. i am 14 years old and i'm not sure whether or not to take up gaa again. my time is already limited as i play music and play soccer and my parents are often stretched trying to bring me and my sister everywhere. Taking up gaa would add at least two extra trips a week (training and a match) i would appreciate any advice you guys could give me. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

sligolad1 wrote: »
    I have a question that i hope someone on here can give me some advice on. I live in rural ireland and gaa is very popular. i am 14 years old and i'm not sure whether or not to take up gaa again. my time is already limited as i play music and play soccer and my parents are often stretched trying to bring me and my sister everywhere. Taking up gaa would add at least two extra trips a week (training and a match) i would appreciate any advice you guys could give me. Thanks in advance!

You will make great friends playing any sport, GAA and soccer included. Maybe some of your mates will be playing for both teams and maybe the parents can share the driving? Or is training within cycling distance? That's what we used to do back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

if you want to do it, do it now. the sooner the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Might as well try it, no reason not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'd first start with calling whatever sport you wish to play by its name as its not clear what you mean by "playing GAA"
    is it football, hurling, handball or even are you looking to give rounders a go in addition to soccer?
    Are you really looking to add 3 (or 4) sports to what you are already up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I was in the same boat as you, dropped sport to follow music etc. While i won't say following these interests didn't bring me briliant attributes, i always look back and wish i had started sport or kept it up when i was your age. When you get older there are always reasons why you cant play, family / time / work / injury...embrace it now! Where there's a will there's a way and im sure your parents will support you once you are doing something you enjoy! G'luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

BKWDR wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as you, dropped sport to follow music etc. While i won't say following these interests didn't bring me briliant attributes, i always look back and wish i had started sport or kept it up when i was your age. When you get older there are always reasons why you cant play, family / time / work / injury...embrace it now! Where there's a will there's a way and im sure your parents will support you once you are doing something you enjoy! G'luck

This, above all, is the reason to give it a go. if it does'nt work out, fair enough. When the time comes that, for one reason or another, you can't play, you'll regret it. Give it a lash!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Thanks for all your advice and for your information, when I say "playing GAA" I mean Gaelic football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sligolad1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your advice and for your information, when I say "playing GAA" I mean Gaelic football!
    I'd imagine in Sligo it's mainly football alright. I've noticed a good few lads making decisions to do one or the other at an early age. I've known some who go on trials with UK teams and then settle on GAA because they're getting advice that they are better or have a better chance of being good at it. I never understood it to be honest, if you like the sport and enjoy playing it then do so of you can IMHO. At your age it does not need to be such a serious decision, if you really don't enjoy something you won't regret not doing it later on once you understand that you gave up something because you enjoyed playing a different sport more, or a particular team meant more to you.

Advertisement