Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzz from subwoofer... not the usual :-)

Options
  • 25-03-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I have this weird issue with my subwoofer that I'm trying to figure out...

I have a Yamaha A/V receiver, with a 5.1 Jamo speakers set. Not the greatest set but it was in my budget a little while ago. The subwoofer came with a 3 pin plug, but the ground is plastic so it must be some kind of 2/3 pin converter.

So to the issue - I have an audible buzz from my subwoofer but it's only when the sub is being driven so it doesn't seem like a ground loop problem(also think the above plug rules that out). It's not that loud but during quiet scenes with low bassy background music it's really annoying. Pretty sure its been there since I bought it.

Any ideas? Broken sub? Cut-off or crossover set incorrectly?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Doesn't sound like a ground loop, since you have fake ground on the sub power plug. Is the buzzing actually coming from the speaker of the sub, or the cabinet? (Could be buzzing in the sub's power amp). Is there buzzing when you mute volume, or does the buzzing get louder/softer as the volume is turned up/down? It should be easy enough to check the bass management settings in your receiver and make sure you're crossed over at 80Hz. If you have any other source you can plug in to the sub (doesn't need to be 5.1, any line level will do) you can also see if buzz only happens with your receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Thanks for the reply!
    Is there buzzing when you mute volume, or does the buzzing get louder/softer as the volume is turned up/down?
    Buzz disappears when muted. It doesn't get louder, it gets kind of deeper.
    make sure you're crossed over at 80Hz
    Think I'm crossed much higher - will set it to 80.
    If you have any other source you can plug in to the sub (doesn't need to be 5.1, any line level will do) you can also see if buzz only happens with your receiver.
    Great suggestion - will try it when I get home later.

I'll also check if I can isolate the buzz from the cabinet/speaker too.

Great suggestions. Thanks!

Hi, Unfortunately the sub buzzes with any source. Took the speaker out of the cabinet - and it buzz definitely seems to come from the speaker - not the cabinet or power.

Looks like I'll be looking for a new one soon. Thanks for the help Luck100.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Have you tried feeding it using a different audio cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Archytas wrote: »
    Hi, Unfortunately the sub buzzes with any source. Took the speaker out of the cabinet - and it buzz definitely seems to come from the speaker - not the cabinet or power.

Looks like I'll be looking for a new one soon. Thanks for the help Luck100.

No problem. It sounds like something is loose or vibrating, but usually that would be a loose part inside the cabinet or a broken/defective cabinet. I had one new speaker (not a sub) that would buzz around 80-100 Hz, but the buzz would come/go as I tilted the speaker at different angles. There must have been something loose inside but I just exchanged it for something else.

• Advertisement

Have you feeding it using a different audio cable?

I did indeed when I was testing it with a different source. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Advertisement