Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 to Austin, Texas

Options
  • 25-03-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, me and two friends travelling to Austin this summer, we were looking for somewhere different to go on our j1 visa out of the norm :rolleyes:
    Anybody been here before on a J1 or similar and have any tips on where to work, where not to work, where to live, etc.
    Any other related info to Austin would be great, Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I've only been there as a visitor, but Austin is a nice place. It's very unlike the rest of Texas.

The Irish bars in Atlantic City love to hire real Irish people, so you might want to try a place like http://www.fadoirishpub.com/austin/

As a college town, Austin should have plenty of housing available in the summer. Try looking at sites like this - http://www.urbaninterns.com/journal/jobseekers/internship-summer-housing-austin/

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Be aware that Austin is brutally hot in the summer - they had a stretch there a couple of years ago where it went over 100 degrees fahrenheit (38 celcius) for 35 days in a row! And there's no escaping it cause the nearest beach is a four hour drive away in Galveston.

Going somewhere off the beaten path is a great idea though. How about somewhere in the Pacific Northwest or New England? One city that I think Irish people often overlook is Portland, Oregon. It's got tons of artists/musicians living there these days, it's basically the capital of alternative culture in the USA. The climate in the summer is very pleasant and there are amazing National Parks throughout Oregon. Seattle is only a three hour drive from Portland and you can keep going another couple of hours to Vancouver - a city that is seriously worth a visit. You can also take a trip the other direction down the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco - an awesome drive. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Be aware that Austin is brutally hot in the summer - they had a stretch there a couple of years ago where it went over 100 degrees fahrenheit (38 celcius) for 35 days in a row! And there's no escaping it cause the nearest beach is a four hour drive away in Galveston.

Going somewhere off the beaten path is a great idea though. How about somewhere in the Pacific Northwest or New England? One city that I think Irish people often overlook is Portland, Oregon. It's got tons of artists/musicians living there these days, it's basically the capital of alternative culture in the USA. The climate in the summer is very pleasant and there are amazing National Parks throughout Oregon. Seattle is only a three hour drive from Portland and you can keep going another couple of hours to Vancouver - a city that is seriously worth a visit. You can also take a trip the other direction down the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco - an awesome drive. Just an idea.

I was there for a few weeks at the time of that heatwave. It was nuts. The place was melting. Left a can of coke in the boot of the car one day and it exploded.

They are really into the 'keep Austin weird' and it is a great place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I was there for a few weeks at the time of that heatwave. It was nuts. The place was melting. Left a can of coke in the boot of the car one day and it exploded.

They are really into the 'keep Austin weird' and it is a great place to visit.

I agree - it's a great town. Love the Texas barbeque and all of the music venues. I was there in March once though and it was already in the 80s, don't know if I could hack it in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I think you would be mental to go to Austin or Dallas. I was in Phoenix, AZ in August and I couldn't wait to get out of the place because of the heat. I can only imagine what Texas was like. I've had friends go to Portland, it is worth considering. Oregon is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 sweenbee

Thanks for your replies. We already have Austin booked, flights paid for and everything so we're gonna be going there. We heard it was a great city but the heat can be unbearable. If it gets this way we can always move somewhere else.
    Have any of you that's been to Austin got any tips on which area to try and get housing? We want to be near work which will be bars/restaurants, etc. but want to live in a good/safe area. Any of you worked in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Be aware that Austin now has the highest rents in TX. But also be aware that it one of the hippest cities in the US at the minute. Good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 justathought90

Hi, Im travelling to Austin on the J1 at the end of May on my lonesome. Couldn't get others to commit and book so said feck it, and went ahead and booked it. What's the craic with ye, how many of yas are travelling? Any luck with accom?

Hey, yeah wer booked up for Austin but have nothing sorted accommodation wise yet. We're lookin to get this sorted now at the end of this month but arnt sure which location would be best to live in....there's 3 of us travelling! Your brave heading on a j1 on yar lonesome :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 justathought90

I'm just keeping an eye on Airbnb everyday to see whats coming available, because i'm going alone i'm trying to get somewhere close to the likes of 6th st where i'm hoping to get a bit of bar work. Where are yas travelling from? I know I dunno if its bravery or stupidity but im in my final year now like its the last chance for it and no one else would commit. Did you book through USIT or go alone? :)

• Advertisement

Yeah well we are the same, the closer to 6th street the better by the sounds of things. Yeah we'll be looking for bar or restaurant work too. We're from Donegal, flying out of Dublin. You?? Oh last chance, couple of us in the same boat. Ya never know one of yar mates might decide to join between now and then :) We booked through Sayit Travel. How did you book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

sweenbee wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. We already have Austin booked, flights paid for and everything so we're gonna be going there. We heard it was a great city but the heat can be unbearable. If it gets this way we can always move somewhere else.
    Have any of you that's been to Austin got any tips on which area to try and get housing? We want to be near work which will be bars/restaurants, etc. but want to live in a good/safe area. Any of you worked in the city?

I live in dallas and have friends in austin and travel there for rugby a few times a year. Pm any questions you may have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Trippie wrote: »
    I live in dallas and have friends in austin and travel there for rugby a few times a year. Pm any questions you may have

Dont worry about the heat. If you are in a bar you will have air conditioning. I worked last summer inside and outside in the florida humidity. Would i do it again, of course.

Advertisement